Posted to alt.home.repair

Default foundation repair advice continued

Ok, after posting my problem here and elsewhere, the problem with the
foundation seems to be soil erosion from underneath of it. Many have
suggested either packing dirt into the void or concrete, but that doesn't
address the cause of the gap in the first place.

As those who have been following from my photos, the concrete pad that sits
in front of the eroded area is about 4x4 feet and not easily movable. It
does slope higher on the side opposite the foundation and the unfortunately
needs it would have to be lifted so the slope would be higher on the
foundation side. However, after looking more at the area yesterday, I find
that a much larger area, say 2-3 feet beyond the concrete pad is also either
level or sloping towards the foundation.

Some suggested cleaning the gutter, but there is no gutter as this is the on
the side of the angled part of the roof. The gutter you saw at the end of
the gap is at the bottom slope of the roof and really doesn't help with
drainage for this part of the foundation at all.

I'm looking at a quick and simple solution. A benefit is that the house
overhangs the foundation by about 3" or so. I was thinking of a couple of
ideas. Since it would be nearly impossible for me to lift the pad in order
to elevate the foundation side, what about something placed over it. One
person suggested pavers, but I was thinking of a sloping concrete form,
placed under the lip/ overhang of the house and draining the water out and
away from the area of bad drainage. Is there such a concrete form? I swear
I've seen them, they look like a triangle and about 3' across by 3' long and
quite heavy. Aren't these also in composite material form? Another idea
I've thought about is placing some sort of "gutter" under the house overhang
and redirecting the falling rain water toward the downspout you saw in the
photos. I don't like this idea as well because it only addresses one small
part of the sloping toward the foundation and may not do much good, the
concrete/ composite form idea is better to me.

If anyone has any other suggestions, or can suggest where I might find the
form I'm speaking of, I would appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 18, 8:46*am, "Bill Skype" wrote:
[...]

Don't start a new thread on the same subject. It wastes peoples' time
- they can't easily read what's already been covered.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill Skype wrote:
[...]

It's not hard to lift a concrete pad - just time consuming.

Put a layer of pavers in the hole. Put a bottle jack on top of the stack,
under the pad. Jack away.

If the pavers move down, remove the jack and add more pavers. Repeat.

Eventually the concrete pad will move up to where you want it. Add more
pavers to the stack until the stack is flush with the pad. Remove jack.
Cover the whole mess with dirt.

What you're doing is essentially the same thing as a foundation levelling
operation, albeit on a much smaller scale.