Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

Default Fix The Phone; Kill The Modem

Phone service is via Verizon. Stand alone DSL using a dedicated data
line is provided by a local co. One of the phone wall inserts and the
DSL wall insert share the same wall jack as there are two different
phone lines feeding in to that jack.

All three phones in the house went dead last week but the DSL modem
kept working OK. The phones were repaired by two Verizon techs today
but now the DSL doesn't work anymore. They mumbled something about
the DSL company putting the wires too close together but told us to
call a Verizon cable guy as it was beyond their area of expertise.
When the phone insert is plugged into the jack by itself that phone
works OK and I can use back up dial up to go online. When both the
phone insert and the DSL are plugged into the jack, that phone is dead
and of course I can't get online via my back up dial up.

The techs ran out of the house before I could grasp what they were
saying, but why would they tell us to get their cable guy if the
problem is in the wall jack? Would it be a better idea to get the
local ISP tech here?
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

Murriel wrote:
Phone service is via Verizon.

There's your problem right there.

Make sure that your home address is actually close enough to a switching
station to support DSL - had Verizon (not far from you, as I ASSume you
are in/near Baltimore - probably the same people) sell me DSL when I
moved once, then when I called to inquire why it was so slow (as
determined by a back to back comparison with dial up) they told me I
shouldn't have been sold it in the first place.

Then at my next house Verizon never could get my voice line to work
properly and without heavy static. Went all-cell and cable modem and
never looked back (have used both Cox and Comcast for cable modem, both
have been infinitely more reliable than Verizon.)

Seriously, my experiences with Verizon in both NoVA and Maryland have
been uniformly **** poor. I can't think of a company that I've been
less satisfied with, ever. I am so glad that there are alternatives
now, I can't imagine dealing with them in an age when one would HAVE to
have home phone service.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

Murriel wrote:
[...]

If it is wired like my 3rd party DSL, the DSL is on the 2nd pair on the
existing house wiring, and one jack is split or wired backwards so the
DSL shows up on the center conductors.

Best cure, if you have access, is to rewire all the jacks normally, and
run a dedicated line (cat5e or higher is best, but ordinary cat3 phone
wire will work), directly from the second pair connections at the
demarc, to a dedicated jack for the DSL modem. Best to DISconnect the
2nd pair of the legacy house wiring at the demarc when you do this. That
way, you have one path from demarc to DSL modem, and an air gap between
the voice and DSL wires.

--
aem sends...
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
Murriel wrote:
Phone service is via Verizon.

There's your problem right there.

Make sure that your home address is actually close enough to a switching
station to support DSL -

This doesn't matter if he is at the end of the phone loop. He could be
right next to the local Verizon CO but if he is at the end of the loop
and the building on the other side is at the beginning of the loop then
that building will have the best service money can buy while he may not
have any service at all if the loop is long enough. They stop providing
service after so many miles because your quality of service would be too
low. I don't know what the current cutoff is though.

[...]

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 21:56:15 GMT, (Murriel) wrote:

[...]

UPDATE: Verizon gave me the runaround, handing me off to five
different departments. They told me to contact the ISP even though it
was the Verizon guy who knocked out the 2nd phone line (dry loop).

The ISP said that there would be a charge and suggested that I fight
Verizon for a reimbursement. But the ISP saw the problem right away,
fixed it in five minutes, and didn't charge me. The Verizon guy had
crossed wires on the panel that mounts to the basement wall. Instead
of charging me, the ISP gave me a sales pitch to switch to them for
phone service and dump both Verizon and the long-distance provider
AT&T. I'm considering it.

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 7:17�am, (Murriel) wrote:
[...]

AT&T. �I'm considering it.- Hide quoted text -

I am sure Verizon intentially mucked up a 3rd party provider of DSL.

I rewired the home trying to help. The phone guy had a big smile when
I said I think the troubles werent a accident.

the DSL worked fine once verizon took over.

I will never be a new sub for any verizon service after FIOS hell.....

The internet part is rock solid, FIOS phone just a nightmare
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

Murriel wrote:
[...]

Who is the ISP, and where?

Lou
Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
[...]

Aren't a lot of those "Verizon" techs actually sub-contractors?

Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair

Murriel wrote:
[...]

Well at least it is not comcast