Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DTV

How many people will flip the switch tomorrow morning and wonder why the TV
does not work?

Nobody told me! Next week will probably be a sales boon for the TV stores
too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

How many people will flip the switch tomorrow morning and wonder why the TV
does not work?

Nobody told me! Next week will probably be a sales boon for the TV stores
too.

Only the idiots will, which means what, ~350 million population, adjust
for typical family unit size, children, etc., probably about 100
million.

I've been on DTV for well over a year now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 11, 9:54*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
How many people will flip the switch tomorrow morning and wonder why the TV
does not work?

Nobody told me! * Next week will probably be a sales boon for the TV stores
too.

How many perfectly good tvs will be thrown out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
How many people will flip the switch tomorrow morning and wonder why the TV
does not work?

Nobody told me! Next week will probably be a sales boon for the TV stores
too.

What are you talking about? No one ever told me about the TeeVee
changing? Will I be able to watch jerry springer and oprah? Will the
government help me?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
How many people will flip the switch tomorrow morning and wonder why the
TV does not work?

Nobody told me! Next week will probably be a sales boon for the TV
stores too.

I think I read that approximately 6% of the TV owner population are not
ready. Does the analog cutoff occur at midnight?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 12, 8:20�am, "1D10T" wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

How many people will flip the switch tomorrow morning and wonder why the
TV does not work?

Nobody told me! � Next week will probably be a sales boon for the TV
stores too.

I think I read that approximately 6% of the TV owner population are not
ready. Does the analog cutoff occur at midnight?

just wait, the digital conversion will help make pay tv easier.

want the low quality local feed?? its free

want the spiffy high def feed? great that will be 3 bucks a month per
channel./

thats why the broadcasters went along, more $$ in their pocket.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"1D10T" wrote in message
.. .

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
How many people will flip the switch tomorrow morning and wonder why the
TV does not work?

Nobody told me! Next week will probably be a sales boon for the TV
stores too.

I think I read that approximately 6% of the TV owner population are not
ready. Does the analog cutoff occur at midnight?

None today, at least here in the east

Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
How many people will flip the switch tomorrow morning and wonder why the
TV does not work?

Nobody told me! Next week will probably be a sales boon for the TV
stores too.

What are you talking about? No one ever told me about the TeeVee changing?
Will I be able to watch jerry springer and oprah? Will the government help
me?

Actually, yes. They showed on the news people going door to door in various
languages to help people with our tax dollars.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stepfann King wrote in
2.121:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

How many people will flip the switch tomorrow morning and wonder why
the TV does not work?

Nobody told me! Next week will probably be a sales boon for the TV
stores too.

3,284 exactly.

Cite?! Cite?!

:-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

How many people will flip the switch tomorrow morning and wonder why
the TV does not work?

Nobody told me! Next week will probably be a sales boon for the TV
stores too.

if they haven't seen ONE of the many notices broadcast on all the OTA
channels by now,they deserve to be blacked out.
(or they don't watch TV all that much anyways...no great loss.)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 07:20:35 -0500, "1D10T" wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
.. .
How many people will flip the switch tomorrow morning and wonder why the
TV does not work?

Nobody told me! Next week will probably be a sales boon for the TV
stores too.

I think I read that approximately 6% of the TV owner population are not
ready. Does the analog cutoff occur at midnight?

Here, it's already happened. The last 2 cut off on June 12. Channel 7
at 9 AM and channel 51 at 10 AM.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 22:54:34 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

How many people will flip the switch tomorrow morning and wonder why the TV
does not work?

I've been calling it "Black Saturday".

Nobody told me! Next week will probably be a sales boon for the TV stores
too.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 12, 5:07*am, ransley wrote:
On Jun 11, 9:54*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

How many people will flip the switch tomorrow morning and wonder why the TV
does not work?

Nobody told me! * Next week will probably be a sales boon for the TV stores
too.

How many perfectly good tvs will be thrown out.

Maybe I will go dumpster searching for them working TVs. :-)

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
news
Here, it's already happened. The last 2 cut off on June 12. Channel 7
at 9 AM and channel 51 at 10 AM.

Here's an article:
http://consumerist.com/5288501/

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

1D10T wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
How many people will flip the switch tomorrow morning and wonder why the
TV does not work?

Nobody told me! Next week will probably be a sales boon for the TV
stores too.

I think I read that approximately 6% of the TV owner population are not
ready. Does the analog cutoff occur at midnight?

For the two here who hadn't it was _supposed_ to have but were in middle
of continuous severe weather (tornado) coverage so they held off until
the threat went away rather than switch while the indications were still
high of a potential tornado. I stayed up until was clear was going to
slide by us to the north.

This morning did a scan and to my surprise did pick up all three
networks and the PBS that had disappeared after Witching Day #1--I
suppose they finally boosted their output power to their ultimate level
that they hadn't before, otherwise no explanation. In just the couple
of times I've switched channels, the converter has picked them up about
50-50 though so they're still marginal at least until get around to
fiddling w/ aiming the antenna.

Picked up one weather side channel and four(!) PBS. The other two
networks apparently aren't using the subchannels at the moment, anyway.
Not that the weather feed looks likely to be of any real use; it's
from the Wichita parent station, not from the translator from which we
get the signal so it's over 200 miles distant in the direction weather
goes to not comes from.

Speaking of the severe weather coverage, what I have noticed is that the
digital disappears entirely much sooner when heavy weather is between us
and the broadcast station than was so w/ analog. I wasn't able to see
anything useful from the one that was on digital last night that had
made the earlier switch date owing to the converter dropping out and
continually trying to lock in while the two analogs were still at least
viewable if snowy and w/ the lightning static. If all three had been on
digital I suspect would have had nothing. If that proves to be so over
the long haul, TV will have lost essentially all actual useful value
other than simply occasional entertainment that is dispensable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Jun 11, 9:54 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
How many people will flip the switch tomorrow morning and wonder why the TV
does not work?

Nobody told me! Next week will probably be a sales boon for the TV stores
too.

How many perfectly good tvs will be thrown out.

Well, I'll be watching the curbs the next few weeks, hoping to upgrade
my bedroom TVs. Put one in the guest room a few months back that is an
exact match for the $5 garage sale TV in the master bedroom. It was
sitting and waiting at the transfer station for me, when I dropped off
the recycling on the way to the grocery store one Sunday morning. I have
a 2-head dish receiver with the second head feeding the house wiring. My
converter boxes are on the 2 big TVs. I hope to see cheap converters at
the garage sales, as people splurge and buy new digital TVs.

--
aem sends...