Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does Preen work on brick patio?

I've never used Preen before. I just sprayed my whole brick patio
(1200 sq ft) with Roundup.

If i sprinkle Preen all over the patio and water it in, will it
prevent or at least help prevent future weeds?

Also, I just pulled about a thousand weeds from one area of
landscaping on the south side of the house.

The mulch that's there has held up really well from last year, so I
only need a light covering of new mulch. Should I mix Preen into the
existing mulch, water it in, then put down the new mulch? Or should I
put down the new mulch and Preen that?

Dumb questions, I know. I'm so sick of pulling weeds.

Someone buy my house so we can move to Austin.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 31, 1:44*pm, wrote:
I've never used Preen before. *I just sprayed my whole brick patio
(1200 sq ft) with Roundup.

If i sprinkle Preen all over the patio and water it in, will it
prevent or at least help prevent future weeds?

Also, I just pulled about a thousand weeds from one area of
landscaping on the south side of the house.

The mulch that's there has held up really well from last year, so I
only need a light covering of new mulch. *Should I mix Preen into the
existing mulch, water it in, then put down the new mulch? *Or should I
put down the new mulch and Preen that?

Dumb questions, I know. *I'm so sick of pulling weeds.

Someone buy my house so we can move to Austin.

Put down some landscape fabric under the mulch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I've never used Preen before. I just sprayed my whole brick patio
(1200 sq ft) with Roundup.

If i sprinkle Preen all over the patio and water it in, will it
prevent or at least help prevent future weeds?

Also, I just pulled about a thousand weeds from one area of
landscaping on the south side of the house.

The mulch that's there has held up really well from last year, so I
only need a light covering of new mulch. Should I mix Preen into the
existing mulch, water it in, then put down the new mulch? Or should I
put down the new mulch and Preen that?

Dumb questions, I know. I'm so sick of pulling weeds.

Someone buy my house so we can move to Austin.

Preen will work for both of these applications. Remember though ..It
does not kill weeds, It stops new weeds from germinating. The effects
are not instantaneous and some weeds will continue to grow for a while
after your first application. I usually make two light applications
about two weeks apart.
HTH,
EJ in NJ
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 1, 7:02*am, Ernie Willson wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Preen will work, but there are even better, more cost effective
products that will prevent growth of weeds for 6+ months. Look for
them in the lawn/garden center with the herbicide products are sold.

With hardwood mulch, you shouldn't need anything else in those
areas. I'm not a big fan of landscape fabric either. It's a pain
to deal with when you want to do any additional plantings and it's not
particularly effective with mulch either. Dust, debris, and
decaying mulch eventually provides a suitable environment for weeds
right on top of the fabric and mulch. Periodically renewing the
mulch is what you need to do, with or without the fabric.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I haven't heard mulch qualified with "hardwood" before. Can you
elaborate on that? Around here we usually get redwood, or some generic
thing called "western" bark.

The last 3 years I splurged for "the good stuff." I've used the cheap
cypress stuff for years. Someone told me to upgrade, so I bought the
"Radiant Brown." It's more expensive: 3 bags for $10. But it lasts
and lasts. I'm not sure if it's cedar or not. It's very dark brown
when it's fresh. It doesn't disintegrate like the cheap stuff.

All I know is that I bought a whole palette this year (70 bags), and
I'm thinking I only really "needed" half that amount to touch up
what's already there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Preen will work, but there are even better, more cost effective
products that will prevent growth of weeds for 6+ months.

Can they be applied right next to your plants like Preen?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I've never used Preen before. I just sprayed my whole brick patio
(1200 sq ft) with Roundup.

If i sprinkle Preen all over the patio and water it in, will it
prevent or at least help prevent future weeds?

Also, I just pulled about a thousand weeds from one area of
landscaping on the south side of the house.

The mulch that's there has held up really well from last year, so I
only need a light covering of new mulch. Should I mix Preen into the
existing mulch, water it in, then put down the new mulch? Or should I
put down the new mulch and Preen that?

Dumb questions, I know. I'm so sick of pulling weeds.

Someone buy my house so we can move to Austin.

Preen works on dirt by creating a thin layer that prevents the seeds of
weeds from germinating. Those seeds that are under the bricks or
beneath flagstones may still be able to germinate - "you pays you money
and you takes you chances"