Posted to alt.home.repair

Default wood ceiling in bathroom

I'm looking at alternative to a painted drywall ceiling an a bathroom.

The bath has a ceiling fan and there's a window that opens for air.

I'm thinking of tongue/grove beadboard, primed and painted on all sides.

Will there be problems with moisture?

--
In the beginning there were Ole and Lena. Then there was Sven. Now
there's Franz Fripplfrappl, Lena's confused: Was it Ole or was it Sven?

Franz Fripplfrappl

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Franz Fripplfrappl" wrote in message

I'm looking at alternative to a painted drywall ceiling an a bathroom.

The bath has a ceiling fan and there's a window that opens for air.

I'm thinking of tongue/grove beadboard, primed and painted on all sides.

Will there be problems with moisture?

Very possible, but II don't know all the conditions. Do you open that
window when showering in the winter? We don't up here where it can be 0
degrees. OTOH, wood cabinet in the bathroom don't just fall apart in a year
either.

I'd look at some sort of sheet goods, like a Formica or Melamine myself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 2:04*pm, Franz Fripplfrappl wrote:
I'm looking at alternative to a painted drywall ceiling an a bathroom.

The bath has a ceiling fan and there's a window that opens for air.

I'm thinking of tongue/grove beadboard, primed and painted on all sides.

Will there be problems with moisture? *

Yes. Use a PVC beadboard. Once it's painted it's indistinguishable
from wood beadboard.
Azek and Versatex are two brand names - there are others.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Franz Fripplfrappl" wrote

I'm looking at alternative to a painted drywall ceiling an a bathroom.
The bath has a ceiling fan and there's a window that opens for air.
I'm thinking of tongue/grove beadboard, primed and painted on all sides.
Will there be problems with moisture?

Less so than with drywall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 1:04*pm, Franz Fripplfrappl wrote:
I'm looking at alternative to a painted drywall ceiling an a bathroom.

The bath has a ceiling fan and there's a window that opens for air.

I'm thinking of tongue/grove beadboard, primed and painted on all sides.

Will there be problems with moisture? *

--
In the beginning there were Ole and Lena. Then there was Sven. Now
there's Franz Fripplfrappl, Lena's confused: Was it Ole or was it Sven?

Franz Fripplfrappl

No need to paint all sides, wood trim has been used around showers for
hundreds of years, moisture problems will happen anywhere things dont
dry out. My 110 yr old house has wood trim in shower area. Who can
say if you vent well enough all year, but a wood ceiling could be an
issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On May 25, 1:04 pm, Franz Fripplfrappl wrote:
I'm looking at alternative to a painted drywall ceiling an a bathroom.

The bath has a ceiling fan and there's a window that opens for air.

I'm thinking of tongue/grove beadboard, primed and painted on all sides.

Will there be problems with moisture?

--
In the beginning there were Ole and Lena. Then there was Sven. Now
there's Franz Fripplfrappl, Lena's confused: Was it Ole or was it Sven?

Franz Fripplfrappl

No need to paint all sides, wood trim has been used around showers for
hundreds of years, moisture problems will happen anywhere things dont
dry out. My 110 yr old house has wood trim in shower area. Who can
say if you vent well enough all year, but a wood ceiling could be an
issue.

The ceiling would probably be damp after each shower, even with a fan.
Could end up a moldy mess by not finishing the wood - I would prime all
sides, as OP proposes, with two coats primer on the end grain. Getting
too much paint into the t/g might make the fit difficult. End grain is
primary issue because it soaks in moisture more quickly - primer first,
install, paintable caulk on joints, paint. Pretty much the way you
would do exterior wood. Ever wonder why veneer on doors is always
warping and cracking along lower edge? Moisture collects, runs, soaks
in at bottom.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 25, 1:04*pm, Franz Fripplfrappl wrote:
I'm looking at alternative to a painted drywall ceiling an a bathroom.

The bath has a ceiling fan and there's a window that opens for air.

I'm thinking of tongue/grove beadboard, primed and painted on all sides.

Will there be problems with moisture? *

--
In the beginning there were Ole and Lena. Then there was Sven. Now
there's Franz Fripplfrappl, Lena's confused: Was it Ole or was it Sven?

Franz Fripplfrappl

Some species work well, google around for what the Swedish saunas are
lined with (I used to know but cant remember now). A guy at work
found a source for the wood and made a hot-rock steam room with it, it
was tongue and groove material, walls have to be lined with the tongue
up I remember if going horizontal.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

RickH wrote in
:

========================

======================== Franz Fripplfrappl

Some species work well, google around for what the Swedish saunas are
lined with (I used to know but cant remember now). A guy at work
found a source for the wood and made a hot-rock steam room with it, it
was tongue and groove material, walls have to be lined with the tongue
up I remember if going horizontal.

But, but, but, I would think that underneath the wood you either have to
have a very good vapor barrier, or something well ventilated to prevent
condensation inside the wall/ceiling.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 26, 11:24*am, Han wrote:
RickH wrote

Some species work well, google around for what the Swedish saunas are
lined with (I used to know but cant remember now). *A guy at work
found a source for the wood and made a hot-rock steam room with it, it
was tongue and groove material, walls have to be lined with the tongue
up I remember if going horizontal.

But, but, but, I would think that underneath the wood you either have to
have a very good vapor barrier, or something well ventilated to prevent
condensation inside the wall/ceiling.

....which would mean that the back of the wood would be wet and since
mold spores are everywhere, they'd start growing back there. The back
of the wood has to be painted, but it's better to not have the wood
ceiling to start with.

If the OP is diligent in using an exhaust fan while showering and for
half an hour afterwards, uses a primer/paint system designed to
inhibit mold growth, and doesn't mind the extra maintenance (cleaning
the grooves in an EC&B ceiling isn't the easiest thing to do), then
there shouldn't be too big of a problem. It's also dependent on where
the OP's house is. In AZ with low humidity and AC on almost all of
the time, it won't be too big of a problem.

I'd still go with the PVC beadboard as there are no issues with having
to paint the back of the boards, and there's nothing to support mold
growth under the paint.

Should I use greenboard on ceiling in bathroom? [email protected] Home Repair 2 October 3rd 07 03:47 PM
Bathroom Ceiling Steve Walford UK diy 13 September 29th 07 02:43 PM
Bathroom ceiling Paul Andrews UK diy 15 November 22nd 05 06:33 PM
bathroom ceiling Jim Walsh UK diy 4 April 28th 04 05:48 PM
Bathroom Ceiling Finish rakster UK diy 1 July 10th 03 12:04 PM