Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Water Heater/ Vacation Setting ?

On May 19, 5:35*pm, "James" wrote:
I would like to lower the temperature of my water heater. *I put it all the
way on the low side, in fact, it says "Vacation" *when set on the lowest
setting.

Two days later, I still get *VERY hot water on this lowest setting. *I ran
it full blast for six full minutes, and the water was so hot that I couldn't
stand under it. * *I ran it for three more minutes, and the water was still
hot, but bearable. * So, that is nine solid minutes of very hot water.

I don't know how to compare this to the hottest setting, but this doesn't
seem right to me.

Any ideas why I can't get my water heater to a lower temperature setting ?

Thanks !!

James

I assume you have a gas unit?

I had a home (SoCal) vacant for a number of years....I learned that
the pilot was enough to keep the water warm to a usable level nearly
year round

the pilot is often enough to keep water quite hot, unless the local
temp is very low

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On May 19, 9:26*pm, fftt wrote:
On May 19, 5:35*pm, "James" wrote:

[...]

Bob- Hide quoted text -

The pilot light is not going to keep the water hot or even appreciably
warmer that the surrounding temperature.

The control is broken.

Turning the unit off for vacation purposes is the simplest thing to do
as long as it is not in a location that will freeze. Just remember to
turn it back on when you get home.
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On May 20, 6:31*am, wrote:
On May 19, 9:26*pm, fftt wrote:

On May 19, 5:35*pm, "James" wrote:

[...]

sorry but you're wrong

I guess when I was working on my vacant SoCal home that had the water
heater left on "vacation",

that the water was really cold & not warm.

Funny how when I took a shower to clean up before leaving, that the
water was warm enough for a short shower.

Additionally I wonder what energy from the gas that was burned by
pilot did? I guess it really didn't keep the water warm.

Sorry but my experience with my water heater contradicts your
theory.....I stick with mine, the data (10+ years) confirms it and so
does the arithmetic.

When the ambient air temp is in the 70's +, a water heater in an
enclosed space (utility closet or small utility basement) has very low
standby loses. The pilot can easily make up the difference.

The control on OP's water heat MAY be broken but depending on his
locale ... the pilot can & will keep the water water than he
surrounding air.

combustion / thermodynamics.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

thanks for all the replies. By the water, this is an electric water
heater. I should have noted that...........

James

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"James" wrote in message
net...
thanks for all the replies. By the water, this is an electric water
heater. I should have noted that...........

James

In that case, turn the pilot light off.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

To my knowledge, there is no "pilot" on an electric water heater. I don't
find one on mine.

James

-----------------

In that case, turn the pilot light off.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"James" wrote in message
To my knowledge, there is no "pilot" on an electric water heater. I
don't
find one on mine.

James

-----------------

In that case, turn the pilot light off.

Probably no sense of humor either. Keep looking

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

In article ,
"James" wrote:

To my knowledge, there is no "pilot" on an electric water heater. I don't
find one on mine.

James

Dang it Ed, ya' got a live one!
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Darned it Ed, I DID find that PILOT LIGHT !! I had to go out and
look for it while it was dark, and I could see it.

Wonder whey they don't discuss that in the Owner's Manual ????

James

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 May 2009 22:20:31 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"James" wrote in message
lnet...
thanks for all the replies. By the water, this is an electric water
heater. I should have noted that...........

James

In that case, turn the pilot light off.

And flip the circuit breaker, too!

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"James" wrote in message
Darned it Ed, I DID find that PILOT LIGHT !! I had to go out
and
look for it while it was dark, and I could see it.

Wonder whey they don't discuss that in the Owner's Manual ????

James

Since it is an electric unit, I assume it has two elements and you turned
both thermostats down.

Don Young