Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default Toilet Flange

The toilet was rocking and I found that the hold down bolts had
disintegrated due to rust. After removing the toilet, I see that the
flange is badly rusted too.
http://www.filefactory.com/file/agh848c/n/Flange_JPG

As you can see, a piece of the hold down bolt is still stuck in the
slot on the right side of the flange. Even if I chisel it out, I'm
not sure if the channel on either side will be able to lock the new
bolts in place.

Can this be salvaged or does it need to be replaced?

Is replacing a flange a job for a professional or can someone fairly
handy but inexperienced do it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 15, 4:09*pm, Bob wrote:
The toilet was rocking and I found that the hold down bolts had
disintegrated due to rust. *After removing the toilet, I see that the
flange is badly rusted too. *http://www.filefactory.com/file/agh848c/n/Flange_JPG

As you can see, a piece of the hold down bolt is still stuck in the
slot on the right side of the flange. *Even if I chisel it out, I'm
not sure if the channel on either side will be able to lock the new
bolts in place.

Can this be salvaged or does it need to be replaced?

Is replacing a flange a job for a professional or can someone fairly
handy but inexperienced do it?

Link didn't work for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 May 2009 13:27:21 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

On May 15, 4:09*pm, Bob wrote:
The toilet was rocking and I found that the hold down bolts had
disintegrated due to rust. *After removing the toilet, I see that the
flange is badly rusted too. *http://www.filefactory.com/file/agh848c/n/Flange_JPG

As you can see, a piece of the hold down bolt is still stuck in the
slot on the right side of the flange. *Even if I chisel it out, I'm
not sure if the channel on either side will be able to lock the new
bolts in place.

Can this be salvaged or does it need to be replaced?

Is replacing a flange a job for a professional or can someone fairly
handy but inexperienced do it?

Link didn't work for me.

Sorry, please try this one:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=b...75f6 e8ebb871

You can view the image online or download it. If it's too dark, let
me know and I'll take another picture.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 15, 5:15*pm, wrote:

Sorry, please try this one:http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=b...d6369220dcabe0...

You can view the image online or download it. *If it's too dark, let
me know and I'll take another picture.

That is a dark picture, but it probably doesn't matter too much. I
can't make out whether the soil line is cast iron or something like
black ABS. Is the ring soldered in place with lead? Definitely
warrants replacement.

Here's a Google search for you.
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=of...+toilet+flange
Plug in the type of waste line material you have and you should find
instructions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The picture is dark (from the second link you posted), so it is hard to see.

But, from what tou are describing, I htink there may be two solutions:

1) Clean the crud from around the bolt and under the flange and slide the
broken piece over to the opening and take it out. Then slide new bolts in
and see if they will catch to old flange and hold the toilet down. Usually,
this works.

OR,

2) If the old flange is broken or too damaged, I htink the make a metal
flange ring that clamps onto the old flange and provides the bolt holes that
you need for attaching the new bolts to hold the toilet down. Go to Home
Depot, Lowe's, an ACE Hardware store etc. and look for the toilet flange
ring there. I think they'll have exactly what you need.

Bob wrote:
The toilet was rocking and I found that the hold down bolts had
disintegrated due to rust. After removing the toilet, I see that the
flange is badly rusted too.
http://www.filefactory.com/file/agh848c/n/Flange_JPG

As you can see, a piece of the hold down bolt is still stuck in the
slot on the right side of the flange. Even if I chisel it out, I'm
not sure if the channel on either side will be able to lock the new
bolts in place.

Can this be salvaged or does it need to be replaced?

Is replacing a flange a job for a professional or can someone fairly
handy but inexperienced do it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Me,either.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RicodJour" wrote in message

Link didn't work for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Years ago, I got a plastic flange replacer. It was about $25
at the local store, or $20 at Home Depot. It pushed into the
existing pipe. Tightened with an allen wrench, and then the
toilet screwed onto the new flange. I removed the old flange
with a big hammer. Might not work as well, in your case.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Sorry, please try this one:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=b...75f6 e8ebb871

You can view the image online or download it. If it's too
dark, let
me know and I'll take another picture.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 May 2009 15:09:21 -0500, Bob wrote:

Can this be salvaged or does it need to be replaced?

Flange Repair Kit:

http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/in...777MossBay.jpg

Terry Love Thread:

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14302

toilet flange stonecreek Home Repair 4 June 25th 08 09:29 PM
toilet flange Tony Pacc Home Repair 2 December 30th 06 03:46 PM
Toilet flange wax seal LOKI Home Repair 4 June 11th 05 08:34 PM
pvc toilet flange disconnect zackde Home Repair 3 April 22nd 05 08:02 PM
toilet flange too high? Tish Home Repair 3 October 3rd 04 01:22 PM