Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Suggestions? Driveway crack over ½ inch

There has been an ever widening crack running the width of my maybe
15' from the edge of the road. Over the years it has shown up as
perhaps a ¼" crack. I've relentlessly filled it with the rubber
compound (Ace hardware no-name brand) that comes in a caulk-like tube.

I've just assumed that the crack is a small amount because of
continual movement and mostly because of the rubber compound drying,
because if it were primarily movement over the years the crack would
be well over an inch and a half wide by now with most of it filled
with rubber.

But now it's suddenly ½ " wide. Things are getting worse---what is
likely going on?

-- *Primarily* -- What is a sensible stop-gap crack-filler for this?
It is exceeding the maximum ratings for the rubber compound that I can
find at the hardware store.

THANKS
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
[...]

concrete or assfault?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

In article , "Thomas G. Marshall" wrote:
There has been an ever widening crack running the width of my maybe
15' from the edge of the road. Over the years it has shown up as
perhaps a =BC" crack. I've relentlessly filled it with the rubber
compound (Ace hardware no-name brand) that comes in a caulk-like tube.

I've just assumed that the crack is a small amount because of
continual movement and mostly because of the rubber compound drying,
because if it were primarily movement over the years the crack would
be well over an inch and a half wide by now with most of it filled
with rubber.

But now it's suddenly =BD " wide. Things are getting worse---what is
likely going on?

-- *Primarily* -- What is a sensible stop-gap crack-filler for this?
It is exceeding the maximum ratings for the rubber compound that I can
find at the hardware store.

What I do for a quick fix is pour sand to partially fill crack, then use roofing
tar with filler, and is oil based. I have found latex coumpounds to be junk.
I actually bought some stuff from The Home Depot to use, but it was so thick
I did not use that. I had some left over sitting around. You get some weird stuff
from that company.

greg
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On May 13, 8:57*am, (GregS) wrote:

What I do for a quick fix is pour sand to partially fill crack, then use roofing
tar with filler, and is oil based. I have found latex coumpounds to be junk.
I actually bought some stuff from The Home Depot to use, but it was so thick
I did not use that. I had some left over sitting around. You get some weird stuff
from that company.

I agree....and I'm a believer in keeping patch compounds as close to
the chemical nature of the item being patched as possible. I'll look
around some.

For the others:

Flat Driveway
North East, frost heaves all over the place on my road.
Asphalt
S-L-I-G-H-T grade down to road from here.
If necessary, I'll snap a photo or two. That worth it?

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Suggestions? Driveway crack over � inch

On May 13, 10:11�am, ktos wrote:
Mix up some cookie dough and fill the crack.

might be from big rucks on road, not necessarily on his driveway.

things move, so repatch and relax.

or call whoever owns the road

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

bob haller wrote:
On May 13, 10:11�am, ktos wrote:
Mix up some cookie dough and fill the crack.

might be from big rucks on road, not necessarily on his driveway.

things move, so repatch and relax.

or call whoever owns the road

What are "big rucks" Scooby-Doo?

TDD
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

on 5/13/2009 11:50 AM (ET) The Daring Dufas wrote the following:
bob haller wrote:
On May 13, 10:11�am, ktos wrote:
Mix up some cookie dough and fill the crack.

might be from big rucks on road, not necessarily on his driveway.

things move, so repatch and relax.

or call whoever owns the road

What are "big rucks" Scooby-Doo?

TDD

They are like small rucks, only bigger.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On May 13, 11:01*am, bob haller wrote:
On May 13, 10:11 am, ktos wrote:

Mix up some cookie dough and fill the crack.

might be from big rucks on road, not necessarily on his driveway.

things move, so repatch and relax.

or call whoever owns the road

(???) The question is *HOW* to patch it.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On May 13, 10:11 am, ktos wrote:

Mix up some cookie dough and fill the crack.

might be from big rucks on road, not necessarily on his driveway.

things move, so repatch and relax.

or call whoever owns the road

(???) �The question is *HOW* to patch it.

the roads owner, may be interested things are suddenly moving.

water line below may be leaking etc etc.

theres no harm in calling the municipality and they may send out a
truck with liquid asphalt to seal the crack

theres no harm in trying

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On May 13, 10:11 am, ktos wrote:

Mix up some cookie dough and fill the crack.

might be from big rucks on road, not necessarily on his driveway.

things move, so repatch and relax.

or call whoever owns the road

(???) The question is *HOW* to patch it.

There's little point unless fix the underlying cause, whatever it is, of
doing anything other than an inexpensive fill. Nothing you can do w/
any patching material will do anything whatsoever to stop movement. It
might slow down some water infiltration and related problems being
amplified by that, but otherwise it's merely cosmetic.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On May 13, 10:11 am, ktos wrote:
Mix up some cookie dough and fill the crack.
might be from big rucks on road, not necessarily on his driveway.
things move, so repatch and relax.
or call whoever owns the road

(???) �The question is *HOW* to patch it.

the roads owner, may be interested things are suddenly moving.

water line below may be leaking etc etc.

theres no harm in calling the municipality and they may send out a
truck with liquid asphalt to seal the crack

theres no harm in trying

When the patch gets as big as the driveway you wont need to resurface it
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

On May 13, 10:11 am, ktos wrote:
Mix up some cookie dough and fill the crack.
might be from big rucks on road, not necessarily on his driveway.
things move, so repatch and relax.
or call whoever owns the road
(???) ?The question is *HOW* to patch it.

the roads owner, may be interested things are suddenly moving.

water line below may be leaking etc etc.

theres no harm in calling the municipality and they may send out a
truck with liquid asphalt to seal the crack

theres no harm in trying

When the patch gets as big as the driveway you wont need to resurface it

If you want the town to fix the crack, first paint a yellow line down
the center of your driveway!