Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting Pressure Treated Lumber

How does Pressure Treated Lumber Paint? Does it hold primer. I'm thinking
about using it as trim pieces that need to be replaced due to termite and
dry rot damage. I'm a little worried about the warp factor too.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.home.repair

evodawg wrote:
How does Pressure Treated Lumber Paint? Does it hold primer. I'm thinking
about using it as trim pieces that need to be replaced due to termite and
dry rot damage. I'm a little worried about the warp factor too.

I've redone a few dry rotted window sills with it. No problem with paint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"evodawg" wrote in message
How does Pressure Treated Lumber Paint? Does it hold primer. I'm thinking
about using it as trim pieces that need to be replaced due to termite and
dry rot damage. I'm a little worried about the warp factor too.

Make CERTAIN that it is TOTALLY dry!

Posted to alt.home.repair

1D10T wrote:

"evodawg" wrote in message
How does Pressure Treated Lumber Paint? Does it hold primer. I'm thinking
about using it as trim pieces that need to be replaced due to termite and
dry rot damage. I'm a little worried about the warp factor too.

Make CERTAIN that it is TOTALLY dry!

for paint reasons or warping???
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Website Address http://rentmyhusband.biz/

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On May 12, 4:43*pm, evodawg wrote:
How does Pressure Treated Lumber Paint? Does it hold primer. I'm thinking
about using it as trim pieces that need to be replaced due to termite and
dry rot damage. I'm a little worried about the warp factor too.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Website Addresshttp://rentmyhusband.biz/

Some lumber yards carry a treated pine (some lightweight, fast
growing, low strength species). It is shipped wet, but even when dried
out, the crap won't hold a paint finish or glue, based on my
experience. Haven't seen any KD versions of the stuff. probably
because it would warp dramatically in the oven. Treated Southern
yellow pine rules so far as being sturdy and paintable. Did some
basement stairs a while back, and painted with ordinary oil based
polyurethane porch and floor paint, no primer. Still looks just fine.

Joe

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 4:43*pm, evodawg wrote:
How does Pressure Treated Lumber Paint? Does it hold primer. I'm thinking
about using it as trim pieces that need to be replaced due to termite and
dry rot damage. I'm a little worried about the warp factor too.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Website Addresshttp://rentmyhusband.biz/

You need around under 15% moisture to be able to paint, pressure treat
is soaked under pressure and might take 6 months to dry or paint will
peel. Get a inexpensive moisture meter to test before you paint. I
would talk to the co that treated the wood and people at a true paint
store not HD types or call a paint manufacturers tech support. Ive
always stained PT, stains breathe more than paint. If it is not fully
cured through paints wont last and it possible with the new PT
treatment you cant paint. New PT also can eat metal,untreated nails
wont work, and Galvanising has to be an approved type coating, I
forgot which treatment is Ng. Stainless is fine. Its alot of trouble
for some trim work, why not cedar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 12, 4:43*pm, evodawg wrote:
How does Pressure Treated Lumber Paint? Does it hold primer. I'm
thinking about using it as trim pieces that need to be replaced
due to termite and dry rot damage. I'm a little worried about the
warp factor too.

Some lumber yards carry a treated pine (some lightweight, fast
growing, low strength species). It is shipped wet, but even when dried
out, the crap won't hold a paint finish or glue, based on my
experience. Haven't seen any KD versions of the stuff. probably
because it would warp dramatically in the oven. Treated Southern
yellow pine rules so far as being sturdy and paintable. Did some
basement stairs a while back, and painted with ordinary oil based
polyurethane porch and floor paint, no primer. Still looks just fine.

All the pressure treated wood I've used lately has been very wet. When
I built a deck last summer, every screw squeezed out a little puddle.
The data sheets from the manufacturer all have said to wait at least
three months before finishing. Others have recommended using a moisture
meter, and I agree.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 9:56�am, "SteveBell" wrote:
[...]

PT expands and contracts a LOT.

your far better off staining it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:

[...]

Think I'm going to use cedar. Sounds like PT is way to much trouble and will
have to wait to long to paint. Thanks to all that had a lot to do with
changing my mind for the better.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Website Address http://rentmyhusband.biz/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Think I'm going to use cedar. Sounds like PT is way to much trouble
and will have to wait to long to paint. Thanks to all that had a lot
to do with changing my mind for the better.

Use pressure-treated wood for the hidden support structure (posts and
joists) in any case. Cedar isn't all that much better than anything
else if you let it touch the ground.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement