Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Micro-biocide furnace filters.

The guy who repaired my parents furnance suggested micro-biocide
filters. I usually buy the pleated type for them at Lowes or Depot
for about $15.00 a pop, but I don't know if they are treated or not.
He also suggested buying an electrostatic air filter unit which
attaches to the furnace for addtional filtration. From what I've read,
older homes or ducts (my parents house is 60 years old) aren't
designed to work well with these.Any suggestions? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 10:49*am, "
wrote:
The guy who repaired my parents furnance suggested micro-biocide
filters. I usually buy *the pleated type *for them at Lowes or Depot
for about $15.00 a pop, but I don't know if they are treated or not.
He also suggested buying an electrostatic air filter unit which
attaches to the furnace for addtional filtration. From what I've read,
older homes or ducts *(my parents house is 60 years old) aren't
designed *to work well with these.Any suggestions? Thanks.

The Flanders Natural Aire are a much better deal than the $15 paper
ones.

As for internal air quality, opening a few windows daily all year does
more to improve indoor air than any filter, biocide, etc. can ever
hope to do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 9:14*am, RickH wrote:
On May 9, 10:49*am, "

wrote:
The guy who repaired my parents furnance suggested micro-biocide
filters. I usually buy *the pleated type *for them at Lowes or Depot
for about $15.00 a pop, but I don't know if they are treated or not.
He also suggested buying an electrostatic air filter unit which
attaches to the furnace for addtional filtration. From what I've read,
older homes or ducts *(my parents house is 60 years old) aren't
designed *to work well with these.Any suggestions? Thanks.

The Flanders Natural Aire are a much better deal than the $15 paper
ones.

As for internal air quality, opening a few windows daily all year does
more to improve indoor air than any filter, biocide, etc. can ever
hope to do.

I'll check out the Flanders Natural Aire. Thanks for the suggestion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 12:49*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
Bob F wrote:
wrote:
The guy who repaired my parents furnance suggested micro-biocide
filters. I usually buy *the pleated type *for them at Lowes or Depot
for about $15.00 a pop, but I don't know if they are treated or not.
He also suggested buying an electrostatic air filter unit which
attaches to the furnace for addtional filtration. From what I've read,
older homes or ducts *(my parents house is 60 years old) aren't
designed *to work well with these.Any suggestions? Thanks.

An electrostatic works fine in my 82 yo home. I can't think of any reason it
shouldn't work fine in any forced air system.

In fact I was told by an HVAC guy that older forced air systems often
had marginal ducts (as they were sized for heat only, while A/C requires
more airflow.) *Therefore electrostatics are a good choice as they have
less airflow restriction than media filters.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Do you know what brands of elecrostatics are considered reliable?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 11:49�am, "
wrote:
The guy who repaired my parents furnance suggested micro-biocide
filters. I usually buy �the pleated type �for them at Lowes or Depot
for about $15.00 a pop, but I don't know if they are treated or not.
He also suggested buying an electrostatic air filter unit which
attaches to the furnace for addtional filtration. From what I've read,
older homes or ducts �(my parents house is 60 years old) aren't
designed �to work well with these.Any suggestions? Thanks.

most older homes leak so much air it prtobably doesnt matter

FURNACE FILTERS No Name Home Repair 16 August 7th 07 12:17 AM
Furnace Filters Robert Gammon Home Repair 9 October 3rd 06 02:15 PM
furnace filters cj Home Repair 4 November 21st 05 08:02 PM
Thick accordion-type furnace filters - can I retrofit furnace for standard? bryanska Home Ownership 1 August 9th 05 09:24 PM
Furnace filters DaveG Home Repair 11 October 30th 03 06:03 AM