Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default How to capture a critter in the attic?

We have either a mouse or a roof-rat running around inside the attic.
You can hear him (or her) mainly early in the morning.

I set a trap with peanut butter on a piece of bread as the bait. So far
no mouse, but it's only been an hour.

Any other advice on how to catch him (or her) would be appreciated.

The trap I bought is the following:

"http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=94397&CategoryName=&SubCateg oryName=".
Posted to alt.home.repair

SMS wrote:
We have either a mouse or a roof-rat running around inside the attic.
You can hear him (or her) mainly early in the morning.

I set a trap with peanut butter on a piece of bread as the bait. So far
no mouse, but it's only been an hour.

Any other advice on how to catch him (or her) would be appreciated.

The trap I bought is the following:

"http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=94397&CategoryName=&SubCateg oryName=".

Give it time - it could take several days - but if it is only a mouse,
tripper will probably not be set off. I've had them eat peanut butter
out of regular snap traps.

If it is a squirrel, after you get it, seal openings. One of my son's
had a squirrel die in his chimney and it cost several hundred dollars to
have removed and repairs made. I get mice in attic sometimes and I just
toss poison bait up there. If they die, I do not smell them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

SMS wrote:
We have either a mouse or a roof-rat running around inside the attic.
You can hear him (or her) mainly early in the morning.

I set a trap with peanut butter on a piece of bread as the bait. So
far no mouse, but it's only been an hour.

Any other advice on how to catch him (or her) would be appreciated.

The trap I bought is the following:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...ateg oryName=.

Think cat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Think cat.

In the attic? Then you'd soon have TWO carcasses to deal with.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

SMS wrote:
We have either a mouse or a roof-rat running around inside the attic.
You can hear him (or her) mainly early in the morning.

I set a trap with peanut butter on a piece of bread as the bait. So far
no mouse, but it's only been an hour.

Any other advice on how to catch him (or her) would be appreciated.

The trap I bought is the following:

http://tinyurl.com/d8ruyg

Try using a stinky smelling cheese as bait.

It would be a good idea to smoke the trap to remove human scents.

5-1/2" height and width may not be large without if it's anything
larger than a roof rat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 6, 7:50*pm, SMS wrote:

Any other advice

Could be bats.

If a female whatever has young up there they might squeal for a couple
days then stink for a couple weeks.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 6, 10:59*pm, (Dick Adams) wrote:
SMS wrote:
We have either a mouse or a roof-rat running around inside the attic.
You can hear him (or her) mainly early in the morning.

I set a trap with peanut butter on a piece of bread as the bait. So far
no mouse, but it's only been an hour.

Any other advice on how to catch him (or her) would be appreciated.

The trap I bought is the following:

http://tinyurl.com/d8ruyg

Try using a stinky smelling cheese as bait.

It would be a good idea to smoke the trap to remove human scents.

5-1/2" height and width may not be large without if it's anything
larger than a roof rat.

If you have squirrels I think that trap will do fine.

If you think you have more than one, or very smart squirrels, you may
want to leave it baited but wired so it can't trip and let them get
used to eating the bait. Otherwise if they're very wary the first
time, they may trip it and not get caught, and be trap shy from then
on. Rats are smarter than squirrels in this respect but I've never
had them in the attic.

For bait i use peanut butter mixed with a little bacon grease and
thickened with a little cornmeal (othewise the bacon grease makes it
too runny.) I haven't found anything I can't catch with that.

But that trap will not catch mice. Mice make a LOT of noise, far out
of proportion to their size. You'll need either snap traps or the
mini version of that trap. I have one that's about 2x2 that takes
mice, but you have to set the trigger very light. you might have to
file it.

When you kill them don't get blood on the trap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 6, 6:50*pm, SMS wrote:
We have either a mouse or a roof-rat running around inside the attic.
You can hear him (or her) mainly early in the morning.

I set a trap with peanut butter on a piece of bread as the bait. So far
no mouse, but it's only been an hour.

Any other advice on how to catch him (or her) would be appreciated.

The trap I bought is the following:

"http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid...".

It won't work...you need to toast the bread first.

And trim off the crust...

And use crunchy peanut butter...not creamy ;)

TMT

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Redelfs wrote:
In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Think cat.

In the attic? Then you'd soon have TWO carcasses to deal with.

Nah. I've got one cat that, every time the stairs come down, it's ZIP to the
attic!

Once he checks out everything, he comes down. If I don't notice he's up
there, he'll meow at the stairs 'till I "open the door."

Posted to alt.home.repair

With bats, a temporary way to get them out is to buy one of those high
pitched buzzers. Now children who have not had their ear drums damaged
by rock & roll and other loud noises, can hear theses. And the bats will
get used to them after a long period of time. But if you can get them
out and plug the vent they came in by putting mesh behind it, you might
be able to get it done that way.

In the winter they do hibernate. At that point you can just go up and
pluck them out of the rafter and dump them in a bucket of gasoline to
kill them.

--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Non-human animals follow the law of the land. If they find a resource
they need, they use it.

So you should kill 'em. Right?

Buy or rent a live trap-cage big enough for a squirrel and bait it.
Check at least once/day. When you've got the furry critter, throw
the cage and captive in the trunk the car, drive 20+ miles, and
let him loose.

On Wed, 06 May 2009 16:50:53 -0700, SMS wrote:

We have either a mouse or a roof-rat running around inside the attic.
You can hear him (or her) mainly early in the morning.

I set a trap with peanut butter on a piece of bread as the bait. So far
no mouse, but it's only been an hour.

Any other advice on how to catch him (or her) would be appreciated.

The trap I bought is the following:

"http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=94397&CategoryName=&SubCateg oryName=".

Posted to alt.home.repair

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

And use crunchy peanut butter...not creamy ;)

That is very important. Critters prefer the smell
of crunchy peanut butter. Put it on a 1/2" piece
of uncooked bacon.

Another important point is to smoke the trap to
cove the scent of a human. Just roll up a couple
pages of newspaper into cone shape, light the wide
end, and hold it with the burning side down under
the trap to let the smoke go up into the trap.

Dick
Posted to alt.home.repair

Non-human animals follow the law of the land. If they find a
resource they need, they use it.
So you should kill 'em. Right?

Yes. They are outlaw animals.

Buy or rent a live trap-cage big enough for a squirrel and bait
it. Check at least once/day. When you've got the furry critter,
throw the cage and captive in the trunk the car, drive 20+ miles,
and let him loose. P

Into someone else's back yard. Who moves him to yet another victim's
back yard. This goes on forever, and you think it's a good idea?

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Bert Byfield wrote:

Into someone else's back yard. Who moves him to yet another victim's
back yard. This goes on forever, and you think it's a good idea?

Yeah, I told one of the neighbors that I was going to let my rat free
over by the former mayor's house (who I don't like).

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Puddin' Man wrote:

Non-human animals follow the law of the land. If they find a resource
they need, they use it.

So you should kill 'em. Right?

I'm a pretty peaceable fellow. I let the skunks live under the deck. I
let the raccoons dig in the yard. But when the animals come inside, they
get terminated. Ain't that the law of the wild, too? Live and let live
but stay out of the other guy's den?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 07 May 2009 22:22:33 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
Puddin' Man wrote:

Non-human animals follow the law of the land. If they find a resource
they need, they use it.

So you should kill 'em. Right?

I'm a pretty peaceable fellow. I let the skunks live under the deck. I
let the raccoons dig in the yard. But when the animals come inside, they
get terminated.

I kill flies, mosquitoes myself. Carry crickets back outside.

Ain't that the law of the wild, too?

Part of it, yeah.

Live and let live
but stay out of the other guy's den?

Who's the other guy?

Are you now ready to admit that you, me, *and* the OP are all well
aware of the fact that it's -our- responsibility to keep the house
buttoned up (proper maintenance/repair) so the critters can't get
in ???? :-)

Regards to your racoons,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 11:02*pm, (Dick Adams) wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
And use crunchy peanut butter...not creamy ;)

That is very important. *Critters prefer the smell
of crunchy peanut butter. *Put it on a 1/2" piece
of uncooked bacon.

Another important point is to smoke the trap to
cove the scent of a human. *Just roll up a couple
pages of newspaper into cone shape, light the wide
end, and hold it with the burning side down under
the trap to let the smoke go up into the trap.

Dick

You forgot to mention that you need to call the fire department after
the house catches on fire. ;)

TMT