Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Circuit breaker as switch?

I want to semi-permanently turn off two spas/whirlpools that came with
the house we bought last summer. (They have "on" buttons that I think
are too easy to push.)

The only way I can see to do this---I can't get at the guts of the
things easily because the guy who set it up thoughtfully enclosed
everything---is at the circuit breaker.

Any harm in using the breaker as a switch, as long as I don't plan on
switching it back and forth much? I figure it would be "off" for
months at least.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 9:37�am, Steve Barker wrote:
wrote:
I want to semi-permanently turn off two spas/whirlpools that came with
the house we bought last summer. �(They have "on" buttons that I think
are too easy to push.)

The only way I can see to do this---I can't get at the guts of the
things easily because the guy who set it up thoughtfully enclosed
everything---is at the circuit breaker.

Any harm in using the breaker as a switch, as long as I don't plan on
switching it back and forth much? �I figure it would be "off" for
months at least.

No harm at all. �Shops and factories use breakers as light switches
routinely.

breakers are ideal heavy duty switches.

why not just turn off the breakers serving the tubs? they should be on
dedicated breakers

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:
Get a switch rated breaker. I think they have SWR on them.

But only when the current breaker wears out from too much switching (which
should be several decades at least).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:
Get a switch rated breaker. I think they have SWR on them.

SWD is for regularly switching fluorescent lights. Been a while - I
think most 15 & 20A breakers are SWD.

HID is for regularly switching high-intensity discharge lighting.

For occasional switching the spas there should be no problem with any
breaker.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 7:48*am, wrote:
I want to semi-permanently turn off two spas/whirlpools that came with
the house we bought last summer. *(They have "on" buttons that I think
are too easy to push.)

The only way I can see to do this---I can't get at the guts of the
things easily because the guy who set it up thoughtfully enclosed
everything---is at the circuit breaker.

Any harm in using the breaker as a switch, as long as I don't plan on
switching it back and forth much? *I figure it would be "off" for
months at least.

Like others mentioned, switching at the breaker wont work because you
will be shutting off your heaters, filter and circulator which you
really want running all the time. What you apparently want to switch
differently are the jets. For that you will have to continue using
the existing jet switch, or make some kind of lock box over the
existing jet switch, or replace the existing jet switch with something
like key switch. Flipping off the breakers will only make your tub
unuseable, grow algae, get cold, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 1:31�pm, bud-- wrote:
Bill wrote:
Get a switch rated breaker. I think they have SWR on them.

SWD is for regularly switching fluorescent lights. Been a while - I
think most 15 & 20A breakers are SWD.

HID is for regularly switching high-intensity discharge lighting.

For occasional switching the spas there should be no problem with any
breaker.

if the tub is off when breaker is turned off or on switch rated doesnt
matter, since its switching a load thats already off..........

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 2:50*pm, RickH wrote:
On Apr 27, 7:48*am, wrote:

[...]

Also if shutting off the breaker "for months at least", you may as
well just drain the tub and lines. A hot tub switched off for months
will have unsanitary water when you get back, (even if the chlorine
tablets do last that long), due to no circulation of chlorine (or
bromine) through the lines.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Any harm in using the breaker as a switch, as long as I don't plan on
switching it back and forth much? I figure it would be "off" for
months at least.

No problem

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 12:57:22 -0700, RickH wrote:

On Apr 27, 2:50Â*pm, RickH wrote:
On Apr 27, 7:48Â*am, wrote:

I want to semi-permanently turn off two spas/whirlpools that came
with the house we bought last summer. Â*(They have "on" buttons that I
think are too easy to push.)

The only way I can see to do this---I can't get at the guts of the
things easily because the guy who set it up thoughtfully enclosed
everything---is at the circuit breaker.

Any harm in using the breaker as a switch, as long as I don't plan on
switching it back and forth much? Â*I figure it would be "off" for
months at least.

Like others mentioned, switching at the breaker wont work because you
will be shutting off your heaters, filter and circulator which you
really want running all the time. Â*What you apparently want to switch
differently are the jets. Â*For that you will have to continue using the
existing jet switch, or make some kind of lock box over the existing
jet switch, or replace the existing jet switch with something like key
switch. Â*Flipping off the breakers will only make your tub unuseable,
grow algae, get cold, etc.

Also if shutting off the breaker "for months at least", you may as well
just drain the tub and lines. A hot tub switched off for months will
have unsanitary water when you get back, (even if the chlorine tablets
do last that long), due to no circulation of chlorine (or bromine)
through the lines.

Thought I'd mention the problem I had when I shut off my hot tub during
the summer (after draining). The pump was frozen when I turned it back on
in the winter. I found out it needed some manual help to get going.
Someone said the seal stuck after it dried out. Maybe it's no big deal,
now that I know, but at the time I thought I was going to need a new pump
and/or motor. Lately I just turn the thermostat down for the summer. The
pump is on a timer and runs 2 hours a day to circulate the water. I keep
the chlorine level correct. It does use a little electricity, though.