Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lennox furnace--is this a safety switch or a circuit breaker?

My wife changed the filter on our gas furnace yesterday, and now it
doesn't work. I pulled off the front cover and on the upper right is a
small black pressure switch of sorts. I originally thought it was
supposed to be held shut by the cover, but that is not the case, as
they don't match up.

From reading the manual, I believe this is the circuit breaker for the

furnace/blower. When I push the protruding switch back in by hand, the
furnace fires up. It is spring loaded and won't stay in place, however.

1. It seems accessible--can I swap this out myself?

2. What did my we do to break it?

3. Would the local hardware store carry something like this?

The switch/circuit breaker says 10a/250vac on the side.

It is a Lennox Pulse furnace and I have the paperwork for it, and our
recently purchased home is circa 1968. We have been using the groovy
1970s wood stove since yesterday, and it is about 25 degrees here in
frigid Utah.

Someone suggested I had the filter cover on wrong, and that it should
be depressing this switch, but from the way it lines up there is no
point of contact, leading me to believe this is a blown circuit breaker
of some sort.

Ok, off to buy more firewood, thanks all for any suggestions. We have
an HVAC guy who can look at it later today when he's back from
skiing/snowmobiling, I just wanted to try and fix anything painfully
obvious and embarassing before then.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"C. Raniac" wrote in message
ups.com...
My wife changed the filter on our gas furnace yesterday, and now it
doesn't work. I pulled off the front cover and on the upper right is a
small black pressure switch of sorts. I originally thought it was
supposed to be held shut by the cover, but that is not the case, as
they don't match up.

From reading the manual, I believe this is the circuit breaker for the

[...]

It's the blower door saftey switch (required by law) so the furnace will not
operate unless the door in put back on properly. Press the door to the
furnace start with the door about 6" above the opening and keep presure
applied towards the furnace while sliding the door down. When the door is in
place properly the switch should be made.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"C. Raniac" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thank you, that did the trick!

Glad to help.

YFI while of little importance on your Pulse furnace because of it's unique
design, the door safety switch has protected peoples health and quite
literally saved life's.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to jolt, Mark G wrote:
Jolt-
I have the same furnace with the same problem. Had to manually toggle the
door switch at least once daily in order to keep the furnace running. Your
door installation method (remove both panels, reinstall bottom panel first)
works! Thanks a million.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...er-171601-.htm

15 amp rated light switch and outlets on a 20 amp circuit breaker Eric and Megan Swope Home Repair 25 August 13th 19 07:47 PM
Old Lennox Furnace - Model GH6 100T (maybe thermostat maybe furnace problem) jack Home Repair 5 November 9th 08 02:22 PM
Furnace Comes On When Circuit Breaker Turned On To Central Unit nowforsale Home Repair 6 September 13th 06 04:12 AM
Furnace will not come on unless I reset circuit breaker. John Home Repair 27 December 23rd 05 04:47 AM
Using the Circuit Breaker as an On-Off Switch Robert E. Lewis Home Repair 58 November 2nd 04 06:10 AM