Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical question-240V breaker.

I wanted to shut off an electric wall heater so I went to the breaker box
looking for a doubled 20A breaker since the heater is 3000 watts/240V.
Turned off all I could find, but the heater still works. [Long story about
testing this and that breaker omitted] Turns out the heater is controlled
by two 20 amp breakers, but they are not tied together. One is on the RH
side of the breaker box at position #1. The second is at position #6.
(both are split breakers, part of a pair that occupies one space on the
breaker panel)

1. Should these two breakers be ganged together?

2. If one trips this effectively shuts down the heater doesn't it? That
is, the heater will no longer provide heat.

3. Is there still a problem since the 2nd breaker hasn't tripped? I mean
other than a possible danger to someone futzing around in the heater's
innards.

--
charles
Posted to alt.home.repair

Charles Bishop wrote:
[...]

It's not really a *problem* per se (functionally that is) but it
certainly is a hazard for a maintenance person and highly not to code.
I suggest that it's time to rearrange your breaker panel so that the
water heater can be fed by a proper 240V breaker, or worst case, two
double breakers next to each other with the two handles feeding the
heater tied together.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charles Bishop" wrote in message
[...]

There are a number of scenarios that could be potentially dangerous if both
legs didn't trip simultaneously. Depending upon the make and model of the
panel, there are half size double pole breakers, as well as dual double pole
breakers (quads) to correct your situation

Posted to alt.home.repair
sym sym is offline

On Apr 17, 7:39*pm, (Charles Bishop) wrote:
[...]

yes they should be tied together ,the heater will no longer work
missing 120v,should trip if overloaded or shorts. how many space/cir
panel do you have and are all your breakers tandems or 240v
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charles Bishop" wrote in message
I wanted to shut off an electric wall heater so I went to the breaker box
looking for a doubled 20A breaker since the heater is 3000 watts/240V.
Turned off all I could find, but the heater still works. [Long story about
testing this and that breaker omitted] Turns out the heater is controlled
by two 20 amp breakers, but they are not tied together. One is on the RH
side of the breaker box at position #1. The second is at position #6.
(both are split breakers, part of a pair that occupies one space on the
breaker panel)

1. Should these two breakers be ganged together?

*Absolutely. Clearly a code violation and a potential safety hazard.

2. If one trips this effectively shuts down the heater doesn't it? That
is, the heater will no longer provide heat.

*That is correct.

3. Is there still a problem since the 2nd breaker hasn't tripped? I mean
other than a possible danger to someone futzing around in the heater's
innards.

*Possibly. If an element happened to be shorted to ground, current would
flow and the element would put out some heat where it is not supposed to.
Not a likely scenario, but a possible one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

1. Should these two breakers be ganged together?

Yes. I'm reasonably sure the electrical code requires it. In
any case, it's the safe thing to do.

2. If one trips this effectively shuts down the heater
doesn't it? That
is, the heater will no longer provide heat.

Yes, tripping one breaker will stop the heat from comign
out.

3. Is there still a problem since the 2nd breaker hasn't
tripped? I mean
other than a possible danger to someone futzing around in
the heater's
innards.

The wires are still electrically charged, so this is a
safety problem for someone futzing around in the heater's
innards, trying to figure out why it's not heating. Double
pole breakers aren't that expensive. Since you're asking
these questions, I'm guessing you don't feel comfortable
replacing your own breaker. Call a friend who is, or an
electrician.