Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Bishop[_2_] Charles Bishop[_2_] is offline

Default Electrical question-240V breaker.

I wanted to shut off an electric wall heater so I went to the breaker box
looking for a doubled 20A breaker since the heater is 3000 watts/240V.
Turned off all I could find, but the heater still works. [Long story about
testing this and that breaker omitted] Turns out the heater is controlled
by two 20 amp breakers, but they are not tied together. One is on the RH
side of the breaker box at position #1. The second is at position #6.
(both are split breakers, part of a pair that occupies one space on the
breaker panel)

1. Should these two breakers be ganged together?

2. If one trips this effectively shuts down the heater doesn't it? That
is, the heater will no longer provide heat.

3. Is there still a problem since the 2nd breaker hasn't tripped? I mean
other than a possible danger to someone futzing around in the heater's
innards.

--
charles