Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fuel Oil Furnace keeps shutting off

We recently bought a old big house that had 2 fuel oil furnaces and a fuel
oil hot water heater (48yrs old). The furnace was replaced with lp, so
now we just have the water heater with fuel oil. For some reason every
day or so we need to go downstairs in the basement and hit the reset
button to have hot water. As soon as we press it, it kicks right in, but
pain in the butt to find out when you need the water that there is no hot
water. Is there something wrong with our water heater itself, or maybe
getting air somewhere now that just one thing vented out? Please help!!

-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

labine07 wrote:

We recently bought a old big house that had 2 fuel oil furnaces and a fuel
oil hot water heater (48yrs old). The furnace was replaced with lp, so
now we just have the water heater with fuel oil. For some reason every
day or so we need to go downstairs in the basement and hit the reset
button to have hot water. As soon as we press it, it kicks right in, but
pain in the butt to find out when you need the water that there is no hot
water. Is there something wrong with our water heater itself, or maybe
getting air somewhere now that just one thing vented out? Please help!!

Entirely possibly that something in the oil lines was messed up when the
oil furnaces were removed, however why don't you just replace the water
heater with an LP one (cheap) and be done with it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 7:34*am, (labine07)
wrote:
We recently bought a old big house that had 2 fuel oil furnaces and a fuel
oil hot water heater (48yrs old). *The furnace was replaced with lp, so
now we just have the water heater with fuel oil. *For some reason every
day or so we need to go downstairs in the basement and hit the reset
button to have hot water. *As soon as we press it, it kicks right in, but
pain in the butt to find out when you need the water that there is no hot
water. *Is there something wrong with our water heater itself, or maybe
getting air somewhere now that just one thing vented out? *Please help!!

-------------------------------------

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

A unit that old and without the modern super efficient burners really
should be replaced and there are many reasons why. I removed and
opened a 25 yr old tank that had 12" of stone scale in it, that scale
was reducing efficency more every year, at 48 you have no idea what
you have. Even when it was new with an old oil burner technology your
unit might have been 50% efficent if you were lucky. A new propane
unit will save you alot every month, and yours will just need more
maintenance then leak.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Although briefly mentioned here, be sure to check the oil filter at your
tank. If not changed or cleaned in several years , it could be clogged and
causing these problems. Give it a try while you try to decide if you want
to make a long term change to another type of unit.

James

Posted to alt.home.repair

"labine07" wrote in message
We recently bought a old big house that had 2 fuel oil furnaces and a fuel
oil hot water heater (48yrs old). The furnace was replaced with lp, so
now we just have the water heater with fuel oil. For some reason every
day or so we need to go downstairs in the basement and hit the reset
button to have hot water. As soon as we press it, it kicks right in, but
pain in the butt to find out when you need the water that there is no hot
water. Is there something wrong with our water heater itself, or maybe
getting air somewhere now that just one thing vented out? Please help!!

It could be a lot of things. If the spark is not right it can time out, if
the fuel filter is clogged, if a few more things happen, etc.

If it is 48 years old, you can probably save a bundle of money by replacing
it. Modern units are much more efficient. You may even want to consider a
different fuel. Check all the options. Rebates and no interest loans are
available in many states too if you upgrade to Energy Star. .