Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furnace keeps shutting off

I have an oil furnace with an oil hot water heater.
It has shut off 4 times in the last week in spite
of there being over 100 gallons of oil in the tank.
All I've had to do is to click a switch on its
electrical box and it comes back on.

Other than someone hitting the emergency shutoff
switch, what should I be looking for?

Dick
Posted to alt.home.repair

You should be looking at what that reset switch senses.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
I have an oil furnace with an oil hot water heater.
It has shut off 4 times in the last week in spite
of there being over 100 gallons of oil in the tank.
All I've had to do is to click a switch on its
electrical box and it comes back on.

Other than someone hitting the emergency shutoff
switch, what should I be looking for?

Dick

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
I have an oil furnace with an oil hot water heater.
It has shut off 4 times in the last week in spite
of there being over 100 gallons of oil in the tank.
All I've had to do is to click a switch on its
electrical box and it comes back on.

Other than someone hitting the emergency shutoff
switch, what should I be looking for?

Dick

Probably the eye is dirty or the nozzle is plugging up...Have your furnace
guy come and give it a good cleaning and replace the nozzle...About 70-100
bucks and I bet it will run like a champ again...You can DIY if you have the
know how and an old shop vac that you don't care about..Not that hard
depending on make...A breeze with my old American Standard with Beckett
Burner....Good luck....

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 22:14:24 -0500, "benick"
wrote:

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
I have an oil furnace with an oil hot water heater.
It has shut off 4 times in the last week in spite
of there being over 100 gallons of oil in the tank.
All I've had to do is to click a switch on its
electrical box and it comes back on.

I had this problem for a while. How old is your furnace? In my case,
the control box on my Carrier had an actual mechanical relay (that was
what the red button reset) and I eventually concluded it was the relay
that was the problem. It woudln't stay reset, in fact sometimes the
relay chattered when I pushed the button.. I couldn't find a relay
just like it, with a reset option, a button on top that the red button
pushed, so I was going to use one like it that didn't fit on the
circuit board, and make a new "red button". But before I got around
to doing that, the thing started working again, and it's been about 8
years since then! I can't believe it myself. Every year I'm amazed
that it runs.

I don't know how this helps you, but do you have a mechanical relay
that gets reset when you push the button?

Other than someone hitting the emergency shutoff
switch, what should I be looking for?

Dick

Probably the eye is dirty or the nozzle is plugging up...Have your furnace

Those sound likely too, and getting a pro-cleaning sounds good too.

I watched what he did, 3 or 4 different times, and asked questions,
and eventually found instructions on the web that cost about 2 or 3
dollars to download, and I found a furnace cleaning company that
actually had a parts desk. I buy the new nozzles 4 at a time, so I
won't look like a total non-pro, and because in at least half of
Baltimore, there was no place else that actually sold retail.
Although actually they were very nice to me, and never told me to buy
more than one. I think it was very cold and I had no heat the first
time I was there, so I must have seemed pitiful.

guy come and give it a good cleaning and replace the nozzle...About 70-100
bucks and I bet it will run like a champ again...You can DIY if you have the
know how and an old shop vac that you don't care about..Not that hard

In my case, I ended up buying a new Shop-Vac, because the old small
one I had wouldn't accept fine-particle filters, and the regular
filters aren't recommended for soot. But I was able to do it the
first time without getting the shop-vac dirty, except maybe the inside
of the hose and plastic pipe, but that part looked ok. All the dirt
went in the bag. Almost everyone except Home Depot sells Shop-Vac,
whether they call it that or not. Sears, Lowes, and the best value
seemed to be Pep-Boys which had a big one that was only 10 dollars
more than a smaller one somewhere else. But anytyhing that takes the
fine-particle filters woudl be fine.

Have you watched the pros do it at least once. One time the big pipe
from the furnace to the chimney was practically full of soot. That
was the time the CO detector went off. Of course new furnaces don't
have such big flues, I hear.

depending on make...A breeze with my old American Standard with Beckett
Burner....Good luck....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 7:50*pm, (Dick Adams) wrote:
I have an oil furnace with an oil hot water heater.
It has shut off 4 times in the last week in spite
of there being over 100 gallons of oil in the tank.
All I've had to do is to click a switch on its
electrical box and it comes back on.

Other than someone hitting the emergency shutoff
switch, what should I be looking for?

Dick

If 100 galons is your qualifying answer and you dont know how to check
a circuit, get out the yellow pages and your checkbook, becase it
could be alot of things. But the other day my screw in fuse and a few
connections were bad on my main control relay.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 8:50*pm, (Dick Adams) wrote:
I have an oil furnace with an oil hot water heater.
It has shut off 4 times in the last week in spite
of there being over 100 gallons of oil in the tank.
All I've had to do is to click a switch on its
electrical box and it comes back on.

Other than someone hitting the emergency shutoff
switch, what should I be looking for?

Dick

If its a reset switch, it could be the photo flame sensor is sensing
there is no flame. It could be dirty as the other poster said.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Adam's Dick" wrote in message

I have an oil furnace with an oil hot water heater.

Remember...you don't need to heat hot water! ; )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 8:50*pm, (Dick Adams) wrote:
I have an oil furnace with an oil hot water heater.
It has shut off 4 times in the last week in spite
of there being over 100 gallons of oil in the tank.
All I've had to do is to click a switch on its
electrical box and it comes back on.

Other than someone hitting the emergency shutoff
switch, what should I be looking for?

Dick

My furnace turns off every once in a while. I can restart it by
hitting the reset. But when it turns off, there is also some water
that is on the floor under the furnace. What is the water telling
me.

Dennis

JVC HR-S9800U shutting off, help! [email protected] Electronics Repair 5 November 23rd 08 06:27 PM
JVC S-VHS HR-S9400U shutting off Antonio Electronics Repair 0 July 19th 06 01:29 PM
RCA P61939 keeps shutting down catsman Electronics Repair 1 December 6th 05 10:48 PM
Boiler shutting down Dean Cox UK diy 65 October 21st 05 09:36 PM
Technic SA-DA8 shutting down Will Electronics Repair 1 May 1st 04 06:10 AM