Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Want to make fire pit - will any old brick do?

I know that concrete retaining wall stones will eventually crack (or
worse) if I use the to build a fire ring.

So I will use brick.

Is all brick suitable? Must I buy "fire brick", or will anything work
since it's been in a kiln?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bryan" wrote in message
I know that concrete retaining wall stones will eventually crack (or
worse) if I use the to build a fire ring.

So I will use brick.

Is all brick suitable? Must I buy "fire brick", or will anything work
since it's been in a kiln?

Fire brick and fire rated mortar for all fire contact areas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 11, 7:32*pm, bryan wrote:
I know that concrete retaining wall stones will eventually crack (or
worse) if I use the to build a fire ring.

So I will use brick.

Is all brick suitable? Must I buy "fire brick", or will anything work
since it's been in a kiln?

Use any brick for the outside and line the inside and bottom with
firebrick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , bryan wrote:
I know that concrete retaining wall stones will eventually crack (or
worse) if I use the to build a fire ring.

So I will use brick.

Is all brick suitable? Must I buy "fire brick", or will anything work
since it's been in a kiln?

Think about it... why would such a thing as firebrick even exist, if "any old
brick" would do?

To answer your question: No, not all brick is suitable. If it's going to be in
contact with fire, you need firebrick. Unless you don't care if it only lasts
a couple of seasons...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Years ago, I was in a department store. They had "tire
pressure gages" for $1.99, and next to that was "Radial tire
pressure gage" for $2.99.

Might be the same concept.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mm" wrote in message
news
It would exist so they could charge more money, so builders
could
impress customers.

Or maybe they don't exist and they just make the same
bricks, with a
different pattern, and call it firebrick, so they can charge
more
money for it.

I'm sure someone can think of more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've seen people use an old metal truck tire rim for a fire
pit. Works very nicely. Steel ones last several years.
Magnesium doesn't last as long.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"bryan" wrote in message
I know that concrete retaining wall stones will eventually
crack (or
worse) if I use the to build a fire ring.

So I will use brick.

Is all brick suitable? Must I buy "fire brick", or will
anything work
since it's been in a kiln?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Years ago, I was in a department store. They had "tire
pressure gages" for $1.99, and next to that was "Radial tire
pressure gage" for $2.99.

Might be the same concept.

Then again, reality is it isn't...

Fire brick is a different animal, indeed, from building brick.

http://www.fornobravo.com/pompeii_ov...ck_primer.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I've seen people use an old metal truck tire rim for a fire
pit. Works very nicely. Steel ones last several years.
Magnesium doesn't last as long.

But it is much easier to get the wood lit if you use magnesium.

--
If youıre going to sin, sin against God,
not the bureaucracy; God will forgive you

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is all brick suitable? Must I buy "fire brick", or will anything work
since it's been in a kiln?

Think about it have you ever seen a fireplace with the same brick on
the inside as used on the outside? They don't do that because the
firebricks are cheaper or because they look better. They do that
because it gets really hot and the firebricks will last.

If you plan on using it a lot and want it to last then line it with
firebrick. If you only plan on using it a couple of time a year and
don't mind replacing it soon then just use any old brick. Or just use
stones. If you want to make a nice one here are a couple of plans
from HGTV.

http://www.hgtv.com/home-improvement...pit/index.html

http://www.hgtv.com/home-improvement...res/index.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Years ago, I was in a department store. They had "tire pressure gages"
for $1.99, and next to that was "Radial tire pressure gage" for $2.99.

Might be the same concept.

Then again, reality is it isn't...

Fire brick is a different animal, indeed, from building brick.

http://www.fornobravo.com/pompeii_ov...ck_primer.html

--

When I was a kid, my father brought home some
insulating fire brick from the steel mill. The
things were as light as foam and the same size
and shape as a regular brick. I had loads of
fun pretending the bricks were heavy and throwing
them at various people. Of course the light bricks
would simply bounce off like "Nerf Bricks".
I have also had loads of fun with the empty
plastic display cases for automotive batteries.
The empty case is very light, but when tossed at
someone, produces quite a reaction. What a way
to punk someone. Interestingly enough, the prank
won't work as well on someone who has no knowledge
of those "real" items for obvious reasons. It's a
case of ignorance working in their favor, darn it.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Years ago, I was in a department store. They had "tire
pressure gages" for $1.99, and next to that was "Radial tire
pressure gage" for $2.99.

Might be the same concept.

If the radial gauge was backward compatible, that would account for the
higher price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Is all brick suitable? Must I buy "fire brick", or will anything work
since it's been in a kiln?

Think about it have you ever seen a fireplace with the same brick on
the inside as used on the outside? They don't do that because the
firebricks are cheaper or because they look better. They do that
because it gets really hot and the firebricks will last.

I know that if you heat a regular brick with a torch as in trying to burn
paint off of it, the darn things tend to explode.

Does anyone know for sure if this could happen in a firepit?

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in message

wrote in message
Is all brick suitable? Must I buy "fire brick", or will anything work
since it's been in a kiln?

Think about it have you ever seen a fireplace with the same brick on
the inside as used on the outside? They don't do that because the
firebricks are cheaper or because they look better. They do that
because it gets really hot and the firebricks will last.

I know that if you heat a regular brick with a torch as in trying to burn
paint off of it, the darn things tend to explode.

Does anyone know for sure if this could happen in a firepit?

Colbyt

I wouldn't use them. I have seen them burst. They will soak up a lot of
water, and that's what causes bursting. One time camping, one of the fire
rocks we had exploded, and one shard cut one of the guys on his forehead.
I'd use a combo of metal and firebrick, if only to make it radiate more
heat.

Just MHO, you're gonna do what you want to.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 12:10:33 -0400, George
wrote:

mm wrote:
On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 02:04:40 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , bryan wrote:
I know that concrete retaining wall stones will eventually crack (or
worse) if I use the to build a fire ring.

So I will use brick.

Is all brick suitable? Must I buy "fire brick", or will anything work
since it's been in a kiln?
Think about it... why would such a thing as firebrick even exist, if "any old
brick" would do?

That sounds good, even like something I would say in response to the
OP, until someone else (you) said it and my usual suspicion and
combativeness took hold. Then I could immediately think of reasons.

It would exist so they could charge more money, so builders could
impress customers.

Or maybe they don't exist and they just make the same bricks, with a
different pattern, and call it firebrick, so they can charge more
money for it.

I'm sure someone can think of more.

Sure but there is proven science in this case.

I wasn't suggesting that one didn't need firebrick. He absolutely
does.

I was saying that the argument, "Why would there even exist firebrick
if we didn't need firebrick?" is not as good as it sounds at first.

And I wasn't just being gracious: It's exactly the kind of argument I
would often suggest.

To answer your question: No, not all brick is suitable. If it's going to be in
contact with fire, you need firebrick. Unless you don't care if it only lasts
a couple of seasons...

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 10:49:45 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Years ago, I was in a department store. They had "tire
pressure gages" for $1.99, and next to that was "Radial tire
pressure gage" for $2.99.

Might be the same concept.

If the radial gauge was backward compatible, that would account for the
higher price.

Right.

The bigger problem is getting radial air for the newer style tires.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bryan" wrote in message
I know that concrete retaining wall stones will eventually crack (or
worse) if I use the to build a fire ring.

So I will use brick.

Is all brick suitable? Must I buy "fire brick", or will anything work
since it's been in a kiln?

I used regular brick. I had a fire going for over a day. The bricks started
exploding, with several bricks raining down on my neighbors house &
vehicles. The old guy came out because he thought it was hailing, he got
beaned on the head. The EMS transported him to the hospital, he had a
concussion.

So no, I wouldn't use any brick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Years ago, I was in a department store. They had "tire
pressure gages" for $1.99, and next to that was "Radial tire
pressure gage" for $2.99.

Might be the same concept.

If the radial gauge was backward compatible, that would account for the
higher price.

Right.

The bigger problem is getting radial air for the newer style tires.

Everyone knows to put nitrogen in the new style tires. Just do not mix the
nitrogen and regular air. The added oxygen might cause an explosion :-)
There should be a warning sign posted at the fill it yourself air stations.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 17:24:58 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Years ago, I was in a department store. They had "tire
pressure gages" for $1.99, and next to that was "Radial tire
pressure gage" for $2.99.

Might be the same concept.

If the radial gauge was backward compatible, that would account for the
higher price.

Right.

The bigger problem is getting radial air for the newer style tires.

Everyone knows to put nitrogen in the new style tires. Just do not mix the
nitrogen and regular air. The added oxygen might cause an explosion :-)
There should be a warning sign posted at the fill it yourself air stations.

I took all the air out of the front tires and put it in the back. Then
I put nothing but nitrogen in the front tires.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Easier to read your news paper with magnesium, also.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
In article ,
"Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I've seen people use an old metal truck tire rim for a
fire
pit. Works very nicely. Steel ones last several years.
Magnesium doesn't last as long.

But it is much easier to get the wood lit if you use
magnesium.

--
If youıre going to sin, sin against God,
not the bureaucracy; God will forgive you
but the bureaucracy wonıt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Most likely had the newer software package with all the
upgrades installed?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

If the radial gauge was backward compatible, that would
account for the
higher price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You mean the stores don't have radial air compressors, yet?
We're all going to die!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"mm" wrote in message

If the radial gauge was backward compatible, that would
account for the
higher price.

Right.

The bigger problem is getting radial air for the newer style
tires.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Was he the guy whose wife found a harmless green garden
snake in the house? Sure sounds like it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tooling Around" wrote in message

I used regular brick. I had a fire going for over a day. The
bricks started
exploding, with several bricks raining down on my neighbors
house &
vehicles. The old guy came out because he thought it was
hailing, he got
beaned on the head. The EMS transported him to the hospital,
he had a
concussion.

So no, I wouldn't use any brick.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 22:15:18 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

"mm" wrote
xxx wrote:
If the radial gauge was backward compatible, that would
account for the
higher price.

Right.

The bigger problem is getting radial air for the newer style
tires.

You mean the stores don't have radial air compressors, yet?
We're all going to die!

They have radial arm saws. One has to buy the air in large blocks and
cut tire-sized pieces from them with the saw. That's why I said it
was a big problem.