Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Make your own fire surround?

I'm replacing a wall-mounted gas fire with a more modern version. I'm
told that I need a surround to bring it away from the wall (between the
living room and dining room) to give some depth to mount the fire. I'm
told I need a hearth also because of building regs. I have no problem
with any of this.
However, I've been quoted £375 to supply a hearth (36" x 13") and back
panel (36" x 36") made of marble-effect resinated stone. I don't see why
it costs so much - why can't I make my own?

TIA
Another Dave
--
Change nospam to f2s in e-mail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another Dave wrote:
I'm replacing a wall-mounted gas fire with a more modern version. I'm
told that I need a surround to bring it away from the wall (between
the living room and dining room) to give some depth to mount the
fire. I'm told I need a hearth also because of building regs. I have
no problem with any of this.
However, I've been quoted £375 to supply a hearth (36" x 13") and back
panel (36" x 36") made of marble-effect resinated stone. I don't see
why it costs so much - why can't I make my own?

TIA
Another Dave

Who told you this and who's supplying the backing and earth? ;-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another Dave wrote:
I'm replacing a wall-mounted gas fire with a more modern version. I'm
told that I need a surround to bring it away from the wall (between the
living room and dining room) to give some depth to mount the fire. I'm
told I need a hearth also because of building regs. I have no problem
with any of this.
However, I've been quoted £375 to supply a hearth (36" x 13") and back
panel (36" x 36") made of marble-effect resinated stone. I don't see why
it costs so much - why can't I make my own?

If it's an enclosed wall fire, don't think a hearth is required.
If its a flame effect gas fire, you might.
If needed, you can make your own. Just needs to be the correct
dimensions and of a non-combustable material. You could use concrete.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Another Dave wrote:

I'm replacing a wall-mounted gas fire with a more modern version. I'm
told that I need a surround to bring it away from the wall (between
the living room and dining room) to give some depth to mount the
fire. I'm told I need a hearth also because of building regs. I have
no problem with any of this.
However, I've been quoted £375 to supply a hearth (36" x 13") and back
panel (36" x 36") made of marble-effect resinated stone. I don't see
why it costs so much - why can't I make my own?

TIA
Another Dave

Who told you this and who's supplying the backing and earth? ;-)

Sorry. On re-reading my original post I see I've misled you. The
replacement is a flame effect gas fire, not wall-mounted as before. I
trust the engineer who told me that it needed padding out, particularly
as the dividing wall is very thin and he's always been very trustworthy
and reasonably-priced in the past.
The quote is from a local one-man showroom about whom I'm a little dubious.

--
Change nospam to f2s in e-mail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
ups.com...

Another Dave wrote:
I'm replacing a wall-mounted gas fire with a more modern version. I'm
told that I need a surround to bring it away from the wall (between the
living room and dining room) to give some depth to mount the fire. I'm
told I need a hearth also because of building regs. I have no problem
with any of this.
However, I've been quoted £375 to supply a hearth (36" x 13") and back
panel (36" x 36") made of marble-effect resinated stone. I don't see why
it costs so much - why can't I make my own?

If it's an enclosed wall fire, don't think a hearth is required.
If its a flame effect gas fire, you might.
If needed, you can make your own. Just needs to be the correct
dimensions and of a non-combustable material. You could use concrete.
Simon.

I made my own superimposed hearth ( the bit at ground level you can see )
from travertine marble and cement. It required a diamond-type flat bed tile
cutter to cut the marble, well, the vertical bits supporting the three main
horizontal slabs which make up the bulk of the hearth. Will add a fire
surround of more travertine marble later this year.
I'm with Simon, as long as it's non-combsutible you can make your
own. BTW I paid £650 for a hearth and fire surround in Italian oolitic
limestone ( cheap stuff ) and tulip wood for my other fireplace.

Andy

Fire surround Rob UK diy 0 February 27th 06 02:41 PM
Moving a marble fire surround baxter basics UK diy 1 October 3rd 05 07:38 PM