Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Being over-run by boots & shoes.

Good grief! I'm worse than a woman, I have 11 pairs of boots/shoes. Then my
wife and daughter have all their shoes/winter boots/sandals.

We have limited space, since our home is a raised ranch/bi-level. Our doors
on the closets are the bi-fold type, so I can't go with one of those shoe
racks which hang over a door.

Right now, I have some metal shelving in the laundry room, which holds the
majority of the boots/shoes, plus laundry stuff.

The only place I can think of storing our footwear, would be on a wall.

Any ideas on building a shoe rack for a wall in the laundry room?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cooper wrote:
Good grief! I'm worse than a woman, I have 11 pairs of boots/shoes. Then my
wife and daughter have all their shoes/winter boots/sandals.

We have limited space, since our home is a raised ranch/bi-level. Our doors
on the closets are the bi-fold type, so I can't go with one of those shoe
racks which hang over a door.

Right now, I have some metal shelving in the laundry room, which holds the
majority of the boots/shoes, plus laundry stuff.

The only place I can think of storing our footwear, would be on a wall.

Any ideas on building a shoe rack for a wall in the laundry room?

I took some plywood and angled in 1/2 inch doweling and mounted on wall
of garage for hanging boots and shoes.

My wife gave me a wire shoe rack that sits on the floor of my closet.
Shoes angle in and take up less floor space.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Cooper wrote:
The only place I can think of storing our footwear, would be on a wall.

Any ideas on building a shoe rack for a wall in the laundry room?

OK, Imelda...

I've built low racks on closet floors under the hanging rod that's
generally otherwise wasted space. So far have only needed one shelf, a
second could generally be added under at least a portion of the space
(other than under really long stuff)

If that ain't enough space, it's time to pare down...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 14:36:02 -0400, "Cooper" wrote:

Good grief! I'm worse than a woman, I have 11 pairs of boots/shoes. Then my
wife and daughter have all their shoes/winter boots/sandals.

We have limited space, since our home is a raised ranch/bi-level. Our doors
on the closets are the bi-fold type, so I can't go with one of those shoe
racks which hang over a door.

Right now, I have some metal shelving in the laundry room, which holds the
majority of the boots/shoes, plus laundry stuff.

The only place I can think of storing our footwear, would be on a wall.

Any ideas on building a shoe rack for a wall in the laundry room?

Here are some ideas -- ready made!

http://www.organize.com/shoestorage.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cooper" wrote

Good grief! I'm worse than a woman, I have 11 pairs of boots/shoes. Then
my wife and daughter have all their shoes/winter boots/sandals.

LOL! My husband has more shoes than I do.

We have limited space, since our home is a raised ranch/bi-level. Our
doors on the closets are the bi-fold type, so I can't go with one of those
shoe racks which hang over a door.

No, but the ones that hang in a closet can work for the 'frequently needed'
sets. Tuck the seasonal stuff away in the laundry room perhaps?

Right now, I have some metal shelving in the laundry room, which holds the
majority of the boots/shoes, plus laundry stuff.

The only place I can think of storing our footwear, would be on a wall.
Any ideas on building a shoe rack for a wall in the laundry room?

Those over the door pocket sorts can also hang on a wall. Warning, they are
often not big enough for men's shoes so check the sizes of the pockets
first.

I had an apartment once with a mud-room/foyer with coat rack. A previous
tenant was asian and shoes were left there. He made a rack with angled wood
knobs you would suspend shoes from by the ties or heels (depending on type
of footwear). Kinda looked like a giant cup holder such as you may see in a
kitchen. You could also hang coats on it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cooper wrote:
Good grief! I'm worse than a woman, I have 11 pairs of boots/shoes. Then my
wife and daughter have all their shoes/winter boots/sandals.

We have limited space, since our home is a raised ranch/bi-level. Our doors
on the closets are the bi-fold type, so I can't go with one of those shoe
racks which hang over a door.

Right now, I have some metal shelving in the laundry room, which holds the
majority of the boots/shoes, plus laundry stuff.

The only place I can think of storing our footwear, would be on a wall.

Any ideas on building a shoe rack for a wall in the laundry room?

We have condo on a slab. Two closets have wood shelves in the bottom of
the closets, boxed in. Shelf is slanted, with a narrow strip of wood
across the upper part to hang shoes on by the heels. Nice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cooper" wrote in message
Good grief! I'm worse than a woman, I have 11 pairs of boots/shoes. Then
my wife and daughter have all their shoes/winter boots/sandals.

We have limited space, since our home is a raised ranch/bi-level. Our
doors on the closets are the bi-fold type, so I can't go with one of those
shoe racks which hang over a door.

Right now, I have some metal shelving in the laundry room, which holds the
majority of the boots/shoes, plus laundry stuff.

The only place I can think of storing our footwear, would be on a wall.

Any ideas on building a shoe rack for a wall in the laundry room?

Here's a neat and cheap answer we've used --

We took one of those wooden cd stands that has several shelves made up of
two horizontal dowels for the shelf and one dowel for the back -- each shelf
is sort of a lazy "V" shape. They are the perfect size for shoes and all
but the largest boots. We put it in the garage next to the entry door and
keep our shoes there. (We follow the Asian custom of not wearing outside
shoes inside the house - - )

These cd racks are finished and attractive and cost about $100 for a stand
that is about 5 feet tall and holds 15-20 pairs of shoes.