Posted to alt.home.repair

Default fridge, take 3 and the dumb things POs do

after visiting 3 stores and obsessively-compulsively web searching, I
think I found a fridge that SWMBO would love

http://products.geappliances.com/App...= GEA&TABID=2

then I went home thinking "gee, all I have to do is take her to the
store, get her to OK it, and then I can have a shiny new fridge that's
quiet, cools well, and she won't complain about it."

WRONG...

PO of house hung a kitchen cabinet above the fridge, tight to the
ceiling, and there's only 66.5" from floor to bottom of cabinet.

DAMN YOU PREVIOUS OWNER

*her* complaint about old fridge was size; I estimate it about 18 ft^3,
can't seem to find a new one any bigger that's not also taller...!

guess I need to get an OK to rip down cabinet, but then what to do for
storage space...? full kitchen remodel or even just a redoor is not in
budget (much as I would *love* to make my own custom doors; I kinda hate
the ones that are in there) do you think if I took a door to a good
kitchen place that they might be able to sell me a cabinet to match but
shorter? I believe these cabinets were installed by owner before last
owner, so at least 20 years ago...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

We'll need a link to a well-lit picture, to give any useful advice on
fine-tuning reality for the cabinets. A local artisan cabinet maker may
be able to shorten the existing one, if you can get it down in one
piece, but it would still likely leave mismatched finish areas on
adjacent cabinet/wall, not to mention screw holes to patch. And it would
cost as much as a new cabinet, of course. You could just rip it out and
put up a contrasting shelf made of some other material, like wrought
iron or something. Fridge is happier without a cabinet above anyway-
better air circulation. Odds of getting a matching shorter cabinet 20
years later are slim to none, unless you can figure out original dealer
and they haven't moved in 30 years, and never cleaned out the warehouse.
If you like chasing geese and it was a popular style, a ripout cabinet
from an architectural salvage or Habitat ReStore is your only hope. Most
people end up just putting up open-front shelves there, made out of same
flavor of wood, and finished as closely as they can from the MinWax
aisle at the Borg.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

I think you may have the solution. Kitchen needs repaint anyway since I
tore down the hideous fluorescent light fixture. I'll propose open
shelves and see what happens. "artisan cabinet maker" would not be
worth it, cabinets are nothing special. I suppose I could take them
down and see if they could be shaved from the top, if that is
impossible, no big loss.

nate