Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cheap Mangled Doorknob Hosed Up

Hi,

I'm trying to remove a doorknob from a * closed * door. The
doorknob is a very basic brass colored noname knob. It has no keyhole
and no lock. Just a knob which used to open the latch. The knob got
harder and harder to use, then one day it refused to open the latch at
all. So I am trying to remove it so I can install a new knob, or
maybe just leave the hole there. It is a utility closet door.

I have removed the 2 screws from the accessible side of the
knob. The other half of the knob, on the other side, is still in
place, but I can push it back and let it fall down behind the door
inside the closet, and see what I can then do with the latch which
will remain in the door and the jamb (wood into which the latch
juts) .

I've tried the "credit card" trick and it doesn't work.

Removing the hinges looks like it won't work either.

The plastic part on the latch is broken, so there's no need to save
anything. I'll be tossing the knob.

If I push the other half of the knob away, can I then just wiggle the
latch out from the jamb? I know, why not just try it? But maybe it's
necessary to keep the other half of the doorknob intact to get the
latch to retract ????

Thanks

How to get a doorknob apart Stormin Mormon Home Repair 1 February 4th 09 06:21 PM
OT... I got HOSED Loren Home Repair 9 November 23rd 08 04:05 PM
Heat Pump repair, am I getting hosed? Jason Home Repair 5 May 10th 07 05:19 PM
Removing mangled screw? NickW UK diy 36 September 26th 05 11:19 PM
Mangled copper pipe (nipple for tub spout). Anthony Home Repair 1 October 20th 03 01:02 AM