Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default Cheap Mangled Doorknob Hosed Up

With the knobs off, use a screwdriver and/or pliers to pry the guts out of
the latch.

Be sure to pry in such a way as you only trash the latch without busting up
the door. Once the guts of the latch come out the door will open and then
you can remove the latch and replace it.

Your local locksmith will probably have replacement latches available.

--
Roger Shoaf

wrote in message
Hi,

I'm trying to remove a doorknob from a * closed * door. The
doorknob is a very basic brass colored noname knob. It has no keyhole
and no lock. Just a knob which used to open the latch. The knob got
harder and harder to use, then one day it refused to open the latch at
all. So I am trying to remove it so I can install a new knob, or
maybe just leave the hole there. It is a utility closet door.

I have removed the 2 screws from the accessible side of the
knob. The other half of the knob, on the other side, is still in
place, but I can push it back and let it fall down behind the door
inside the closet, and see what I can then do with the latch which
will remain in the door and the jamb (wood into which the latch
juts) .

I've tried the "credit card" trick and it doesn't work.

Removing the hinges looks like it won't work either.

The plastic part on the latch is broken, so there's no need to save
anything. I'll be tossing the knob.

If I push the other half of the knob away, can I then just wiggle the
latch out from the jamb? I know, why not just try it? But maybe it's
necessary to keep the other half of the doorknob intact to get the
latch to retract ????

Thanks