Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rubberized paint?

I'm looking for a paint or rubberized plastic coating to be used in using
in a medicine chest.

I was going to pull my medicine chest, sand, primer & paint the inside.
Started thinking about a rubberized paint like something they spray in
pick-up truck beds. I only want to coat the bottom 1/4 of the medicine
chest.

Instead of running around to Sherwin Williams, B. Moore, Ace and other
stores looking for advice, figured I'd give it a shot in trying to find an
_end user_ of such a product.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 18:07:33 -0400, "Anthony" wrote:

I'm looking for a paint or rubberized plastic coating to be used in using
in a medicine chest.

I was going to pull my medicine chest, sand, primer & paint the inside.
Started thinking about a rubberized paint like something they spray in
pick-up truck beds. I only want to coat the bottom 1/4 of the medicine
chest.

Instead of running around to Sherwin Williams, B. Moore, Ace and other
stores looking for advice, figured I'd give it a shot in trying to find an
_end user_ of such a product.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

I suggest Rustoleum, both primer and finish coats. It will outlast
most finishes. I'm sure you can take your medicine cabinet to a
place that does spray-on truck linings, but be prepared to pay.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:
On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 18:07:33 -0400, "Anthony" wrote:

I'm looking for a paint or rubberized plastic coating to be used in using
in a medicine chest.

I was going to pull my medicine chest, sand, primer & paint the inside.
Started thinking about a rubberized paint like something they spray in
pick-up truck beds. I only want to coat the bottom 1/4 of the medicine
chest.

Instead of running around to Sherwin Williams, B. Moore, Ace and other
stores looking for advice, figured I'd give it a shot in trying to find an
_end user_ of such a product.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

I suggest Rustoleum, both primer and finish coats. It will outlast
most finishes. I'm sure you can take your medicine cabinet to a
place that does spray-on truck linings, but be prepared to pay.

Rustoleum is pretty soft as far as paint goes. Hard to keep it from
getting scratched up on a surface that sees wear. I'll use it for say,
the steel over outside windows but anything that sees actual abrasion,
forget it. You can buy DIY truck bed liner stuff.

Why do you want "rubberized" paint? Knowing why you think you want it
may help us make more helpful suggestions.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

Why do you want "rubberized" paint? Knowing why you think you want it
may help us make more helpful suggestions.

My inside of the med chest, takes a beating as far as scratches. Take a
couple of kids tooth brushes dripping wet, and the scratches turn ugly real
quick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Anthony wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

Why do you want "rubberized" paint? Knowing why you think you want it
may help us make more helpful suggestions.

My inside of the med chest, takes a beating as far as scratches. Take a
couple of kids tooth brushes dripping wet, and the scratches turn ugly real
quick.

Gotcha. I think in that case you'll be really disappointed if you use
rustoleum.

Do you have a place in your area that will powdercoat small parts for
cheap? That might be the best solution, and it won't look "lumpy"
either. Barring that, paint and refinish as usual, then after the paint
cures, you might try some of the DIY bedliner stuff. I know some guys
who have used it in place of undercoating and they claim it works great.
OR, you could use traditional undercoating and paint over it, but
it'll take a LOT of paint to cover it up, it'll soak up paint like a sponge.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 19:09:56 -0400, "Anthony" wrote:

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

Why do you want "rubberized" paint? Knowing why you think you want it
may help us make more helpful suggestions.

My inside of the med chest, takes a beating as far as scratches. Take a
couple of kids tooth brushes dripping wet, and the scratches turn ugly real
quick.

You can use shelving paper. Replace it now and then. Water ought to
bead up and not damage the cabinet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Anthony" wrote in message
I'm looking for a paint or rubberized plastic coating to be used in using
in a medicine chest.

I was going to pull my medicine chest, sand, primer & paint the inside.
Started thinking about a rubberized paint like something they spray in
pick-up truck beds. I only want to coat the bottom 1/4 of the medicine
chest.

Instead of running around to Sherwin Williams, B. Moore, Ace and other
stores looking for advice, figured I'd give it a shot in trying to find an
_end user_ of such a product.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Spray can Epoxy paint. But READ the instructions. Spray it outside of house.
I used some on wood handles of kitchen ware. Has gone through dishwasher
many times in a year. Still good. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 19:20:22 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

Anthony wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

[...]

Have you seen a powder coated medicine cabinet?

I removed a standard cabinet and made a DOOR size fixture, Made from
wood. YMMV.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 18:07:33 -0400, "Anthony" wrote:

I'm looking for a paint or rubberized plastic coating to be used in using
in a medicine chest.

I was going to pull my medicine chest, sand, primer & paint the inside.
Started thinking about a rubberized paint like something they spray in
pick-up truck beds. I only want to coat the bottom 1/4 of the medicine
chest.

Why is this necessary????

Instead of running around to Sherwin Williams, B. Moore, Ace and other
stores looking for advice, figured I'd give it a shot in trying to find an
_end user_ of such a product.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Instead of running around, you should try Google search.

I 'spect that http://www.bizrate.com/automotivecare/oid898915890.html
would fit your alleged needs. Expect it to look S-S-STRANGE.

You might be better off finding a new plastic or aluminum med.
cabinet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Anthony" wrote:

I'm looking for a paint or rubberized plastic coating to be used in using
in a medicine chest.

I was going to pull my medicine chest, sand, primer & paint the inside.
Started thinking about a rubberized paint like something they spray in
pick-up truck beds. I only want to coat the bottom 1/4 of the medicine
chest.

Instead of running around to Sherwin Williams, B. Moore, Ace and other
stores looking for advice, figured I'd give it a shot in trying to find an
_end user_ of such a product.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

You could dip it in that stuff that's used to coat tool handles with
plastic. You might need a few gallons of it and a relatively large
container.

Glass shelves are common. They don't scratch too easily.

Your home must be in pretty fine condition if you're all the way down
the to-do list to refinishing the inside of the medicine cabinet.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 20, 5:07*pm, "Anthony" wrote:
I'm looking for a paint or rubberized plastic coating to be used in using
in a medicine chest.

I was going to pull my medicine chest, sand, primer & paint the inside.
Started thinking about a rubberized paint like something they spray in
pick-up truck beds. I only want to coat the bottom 1/4 of the medicine
chest.

Instead of running around to Sherwin Williams, B. Moore, Ace and other
stores looking for advice, figured I'd give it a shot in trying to find an
_end user_ of such a product.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

You need something to stop the corrosion, not just hope the paint will
hold it off. Such paints are a class called 'zinc rich' and are
available in aerosol and conventional cans. Not common in many stores,
you may have to look at industrial supply sources. Whatever, the stuff
really works, and is commonly used by makers of galvanized chain link
fencing gates and the like, where welded corners have had the zinc
burned off.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 22:11:54 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
"Anthony" wrote:

I'm looking for a paint or rubberized plastic coating to be used in using
in a medicine chest.

[cut, including a good suggestion for using glass shelves]

Your home must be in pretty fine condition if you're all the way down
the to-do list to refinishing the inside of the medicine cabinet.

This made me laugh. I'm not there yet myself, but it's my goal!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Anthony" wrote in message

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

Why do you want "rubberized" paint? Knowing why you think you want it
may help us make more helpful suggestions.

My inside of the med chest, takes a beating as far as scratches. Take a
couple of kids tooth brushes dripping wet, and the scratches turn ugly

real
quick.

Cut a piece of scrap vinyl floor covering to fit and stick in place with
some rubber cement.

I suspect a small chunk could be scrounged from a floor covering store at
little or no cost.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

Cut a piece of scrap vinyl floor covering to fit and stick in place with
some rubber cement.

I suspect a small chunk could be scrounged from a floor covering store at
little or no cost.

Heh! Interesting idea, thanks!