Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Noisy old heater

Hi,

I have a old forced-air, hot-water heating unit in the cellar, hanging on
the ceiling.
It's a Trane "model S" Unit Heater, about 2'x2'x1' in size, electric fan in
the back of it.

The fan is really noisy, but motor seems in good shape otherwise.

What can I replace it with?

Are newer residential heaters of this type any quieter?

(This is a loud commercial unit, I guess, because the Trane website states
these "units provide uniform heating for large open areas in such
applications as warehouses, factories and showrooms.")

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kalarama wrote:
Hi,

I have a old forced-air, hot-water heating unit in the cellar, hanging on
the ceiling.
It's a Trane "model S" Unit Heater, about 2'x2'x1' in size, electric fan in
the back of it.

The fan is really noisy, but motor seems in good shape otherwise.

What can I replace it with?

Are newer residential heaters of this type any quieter?

(This is a loud commercial unit, I guess, because the Trane website states
these "units provide uniform heating for large open areas in such
applications as warehouses, factories and showrooms.")

Tried cleaning it real well?

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kalarama wrote:
Hi,

I have a old forced-air, hot-water heating unit in the cellar, hanging on
the ceiling.
It's a Trane "model S" Unit Heater, about 2'x2'x1' in size, electric fan in
the back of it.

The fan is really noisy, but motor seems in good shape otherwise.

What can I replace it with?

Are newer residential heaters of this type any quieter?

(This is a loud commercial unit, I guess, because the Trane website states
these "units provide uniform heating for large open areas in such
applications as warehouses, factories and showrooms.")

replace the fan motor, or the bearings in it. OR, rip it off and hang
a breeze box fan up there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote

rip it off and hang a breeze box fan up there.

Thanks, I did think of doing that, those are much quieter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"LouB" wrote in message
Kalarama wrote:
Hi,

I have a old forced-air, hot-water heating unit in the cellar, hanging on
the ceiling.
It's a Trane "model S" Unit Heater, about 2'x2'x1' in size, electric fan
in the back of it.

The fan is really noisy, but motor seems in good shape otherwise.

What can I replace it with?

Are newer residential heaters of this type any quieter?

(This is a loud commercial unit, I guess, because the Trane website
states these "units provide uniform heating for large open areas in such
applications as warehouses, factories and showrooms.")

Tried cleaning it real well?

I'd like to take it down and haul it outside and blast some air through
it....

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Kalarama" wrote:

"LouB" wrote in message
Kalarama wrote:
Hi,

I have a old forced-air, hot-water heating unit in the cellar, hanging on
the ceiling.
It's a Trane "model S" Unit Heater, about 2'x2'x1' in size, electric fan
in the back of it.

The fan is really noisy, but motor seems in good shape otherwise.

What can I replace it with?

Are newer residential heaters of this type any quieter?

(This is a loud commercial unit, I guess, because the Trane website
states these "units provide uniform heating for large open areas in such
applications as warehouses, factories and showrooms.")

Tried cleaning it real well?

I'd like to take it down and haul it outside and blast some air through
it....

If it's fan blade noise as opposed to worn bearing noise, just cleaning
the dirt off the blades with some soap and water or whatever might quiet
them down. It will also make them significantly more effective. Airfoils
don't like dirt.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 20, 8:51*am, "Kalarama" wrote:
Hi,

I have a old forced-air, hot-water heating unit in the cellar, hanging on
the ceiling.
It's a Trane "model S" Unit Heater, about 2'x2'x1' in size, electric fan in
the back of it.

The fan is really noisy, but motor seems in good shape otherwise.

What can I replace it with?

snip

If you can supply a NG line and a vent to the site, a smaller Modine
'HotDawg' would be the perfect solution. They can mount directly on
the ceiling. Around $385-400 usual price.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 09:51:04 -0400, "Kalarama"
wrote:

Hi,

I have a old forced-air, hot-water heating unit in the cellar, hanging on
the ceiling.
It's a Trane "model S" Unit Heater, about 2'x2'x1' in size, electric fan in
the back of it.

The fan is really noisy, but motor seems in good shape otherwise.

What can I replace it with?

Are newer residential heaters of this type any quieter?

(This is a loud commercial unit, I guess, because the Trane website states
these "units provide uniform heating for large open areas in such
applications as warehouses, factories and showrooms.")

What is making the noise?

* Fan

* Air being blown

* water in the heating unit?