Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is there a standard number of down spouts for gutters?

I have a standard rectangle layout roof.
There are gutters in the front and the back of the house.

There are down spouts on one end of the house only. (front and back)

Is this typical? Or should there be down spouts on all 4 corners.
Posted to alt.home.repair

theedudenator wrote:
I have a standard rectangle layout roof.
There are gutters in the front and the back of the house.

There are down spouts on one end of the house only. (front and back)

Is this typical? Or should there be down spouts on all 4 corners.

Depends how big the house is, and the slope of the gutters, and how much
rain usually falls. But yeah, on a 'typical' 24x60 cookie cutter ranch,
a downspout at each corner would be expected. Take a hose up on the
roof, and run water into both gutters. Do they slope all the way from
one end to the other? If so, you will need to rehang and reslope the
high half before you add new downspouts, unless you just want them for
bad storms as overflow, like when the whole gutter fills.

Sounds like your builder was shaving pennies to make a price point.
Unless you have noticed the gutters overflowing a lot, or have noticed
roof leaks or yard puddles, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

The slope is good on the gutters.
I have not noticed any problems.

But I am going to add gutters to my garage and was wondering how many
down spouts.

On Mar 10, 11:38*pm, aemeijers wrote:
theedudenator wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 04:38:08 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

-snip-
Depends how big the house is, and the slope of the gutters, and how much
rain usually falls.

We're in agreement here.

But yeah, on a 'typical' 24x60 cookie cutter ranch,
a downspout at each corner would be expected. Take a hose up on the

Not so much here. In Arizona 4 downspouts would be overkill. In
Mississippi maybe not enough.
-snip-
Unless you have noticed the gutters overflowing a lot, or have noticed
roof leaks or yard puddles, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

That's really where the truth lies. Ask your neighbors if the
recent rains were typical- what do they have?

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

theedudenator wrote:
I have a standard rectangle layout roof.
There are gutters in the front and the back of the house.

There are down spouts on one end of the house only. (front and back)

Is this typical? Or should there be down spouts on all 4 corners.

There should be sufficient downspouts to handle the runoff. If your gutters
are not over-flowing, you have enough.

There's a trade-off between capacity, cost, drainage, and esthetics. In your
case, perhaps the builder decided the house looked better with the
downspouts out of sight? Or maybe putting them on all four corners would
generate a drainage problem?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 10, 11:22*pm, theedudenator wrote:
I have a standard rectangle layout roof.
There are gutters in the front and the back of the house.

There are down spouts on one end of the house only. (front and back)

Is this typical? *Or should there be down spouts on all 4 corners.

Depends on the grading around the house. You can have a downspout any
place the grade slopes downhill. Level is a no-no for that corner.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 21:22:40 -0700 (PDT), theedudenator
wrote:

I have a standard rectangle layout roof.
There are gutters in the front and the back of the house.

There are down spouts on one end of the house only. (front and back)

Is this typical? Or should there be down spouts on all 4 corners.

It depends on local weather conditions, the size and design of
the home and gutters and down spouts and local code. You will need a
lot more in a hurricane area of Florida than in Death Vally desert
Posted to alt.home.repair

{snip}...should there be down spouts on all 4 corners [of the house]?..

If there were a down spout at each end of the gutters on the front of
your house...

That would mean the high point of the gutters would be in the middle
sloping downwards to both ends of the house. The front gutter would make
a noticeable upside-down "V". Very ugly and would draw attention to the
gutter and downspout.

Right now, the gutter makes a sloop to just one side, and is unnoticeable
by visitors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phil Again wrote:
{snip}...should there be down spouts on all 4 corners [of the house]?..

If there were a down spout at each end of the gutters on the front of
your house...

That would mean the high point of the gutters would be in the middle
sloping downwards to both ends of the house. The front gutter would make
a noticeable upside-down "V". Very ugly and would draw attention to the
gutter and downspout.

Looks good on paper, but...if the gutter is level and downspouts are at
each end, then it should drain just fine.

Right now, the gutter makes a sloop to just one side, and is unnoticeable
by visitors.

Having downspouts at both ends depends what the landscape is like;
perhaps there is pavement or other features where you do not want water.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Joe wrote:
On Mar 10, 11:22 pm, theedudenator wrote:
I have a standard rectangle layout roof.
There are gutters in the front and the back of the house.

There are down spouts on one end of the house only. (front and back)

Is this typical? Or should there be down spouts on all 4 corners.

Depends on the grading around the house. You can have a downspout any
place the grade slopes downhill. Level is a no-no for that corner.

Depends even more on the length between downspouts (roof area serviced).
Whether or not the ground is level below won't matter at the corner if
there isn't sufficient outlet capacity the gutters will simply overflow
in heavy rain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a standard rectangle layout roof.
There are gutters in the front and the back of the house.

There are down spouts on one end of the house only. (front and back)

Is this typical? Or should there be down spouts on all 4 corners.

I think it depends how you slope the gutters, terrain, appearance,
downspout size, annual rainfall, etc. Local library has building code
references for your perusal. Lucky folks have no gutters and none
to maintain.

Source for gas can spouts & caps needed... trainfan1 Home Repair 0 June 2nd 06 03:16 AM
Gutters [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 September 21st 05 01:32 AM
RCA CTC135A/B (I think this is the chasis number I don't have model number) Color is screwed up. Robbie McFerren Electronics Repair 8 September 23rd 04 09:33 PM
Gutters Harman Sanghera UK diy 10 December 5th 03 07:17 PM
Gutters Paul UK diy 0 August 14th 03 02:05 PM