Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PEX plumbing connection preferences

On Mar 4, 7:32*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
*Steve Barker wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
*fftt wrote:

On Feb 25, 9:09 pm, Smitty Two wrote:

My immediate need is just to fix some small issues around the house,
like a slow drip under the bar sink. I also want to figure out how to
put a hot water recirculator under the kitchen sink.
My suggestion for "instant" hot water at the kticehn sink is a

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/L...toCirc2-Circul....
ump
-and-Valve-System/23000/Cat/534

A single small leak? * Can you cut out the offending parts & re-
connect with SharkBite?

I'll be "on site" this weekend and planning to take a closer look at it.
The leak seems to be where the PEX meets the shutoff valve but since
this is the first PEX I've ever seen, it was greek to me. Now that I
know more than zero about the stuff, I should be able to acquire tools
and supplies sufficient to devise and implement a repair.

Since the PEX system is manifold based, I'm assuming recirculating would
have to be done for each branch rather than house-wide. The lag is most
annoying in the kitchen, though, so some fix is definitely on the menu
there.

This is the one i'm considering for our kitchen. *Although the review
say it's a bit loud. *Perhaps a remote mounting could help in that area.

http://www.chilipepperapp.com/

steve

I'm not too keen on the manual start "feature" on that one, though. How
often do you walk into the kitchen and say, "hmm, I think I'd like to
have some instant hot water three minutes from now?"

I think I'd like to have some instant hot water three minutes from now?"

Yeah, a three minute wait for hot water in the kitchen is a bit
much.

But why would it take three minutes to purge the cold water from the
hot water line to the kitchen?

If you have a PEX 1/2 line with a home run installation...worst case
wait for hot water would be less than 30 secs (about a gallon -
1/4¢)

I believe there might be a temperature sensor sensor that shuts the
pump off when the hot water "arrives". (unless I have this product
mixed up with another "point of use" hot to cold transfer system)

Coupled with a timer & a "permanent on" "hot wire" job this unit
might fit the bill.....

but all in all, a lot of work to save a few ¢'s worth of water
everyday in the kitchen.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
fftt wrote:

On Mar 4, 7:32*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article 6aSdncjzkJ PEDvUnZ2dnUVZ ,
*Steve Barker wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
*fftt wrote:

[...]

The wait time in our new kitchen is at *least* two minutes, and I don't
see how the manual start recirculator could shorten that any. I'm as
"green" as the next guy but I'm more concerned with saving aggravation
than saving water.

So if we go the recirculate route then I think it's going to have to be
an automatic unit. The Laing unit you linked me to last week turned up
"unavailable" besides being pricier than I expected, but otherwise
looked good.

But now I'm wondering: The water heater is in the laundry room,
adjoining the kitchen, maybe six or seven feet from the kitchen sink.
Maybe I can bypass the attic PEX manifold and just "hot plumb" the sink
to the water heater.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 4, 8:14*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*fftt wrote:
On Mar 4, 7:32*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article 6aSdncjzkJ PEDvUnZ2dnUVZ ,
*Steve Barker wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
*fftt wrote:

[...]

Yeah, automatic is the only way to go for a kitchen. Manual (push
button) "might" work in a bathroom.

I'm surprised that it takes 2 minutes to get hot water in your
kitchen.

If the manifold (home run design?) is in the attic & the water heater
is laundry room ...how much tube length is there to clear of hot
water? If the run is 1/2 PEX & were only 50' ...that's about 1/2
gallon of water.

A direct line to the kitchen sink would give you hot water fastest,
that is, short of a installing a recirc loop.

cheers
Bob