Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sandpaper grit needed

On Mar 3, 11:30*am, WhiteTea wrote:
I will be painting a wrought iron fence that is already painted with
no rust.

What grit sandpaper should I use to prep the surface for adhesion of
the new paint ?

If you want a hell of a lot of hand work just use a Scotch-Brite™ pad
to scuff it up.

If you want to do it the easy way use an "adhesion promoter" like
Bulldog to give the old paint some "tooth"
http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/pc-1...er-etp123.aspx
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 3, 4:46*pm, gpsman wrote:
On Mar 3, 11:30*am, WhiteTea wrote:

I will be painting a wrought iron fence that is already painted with
no rust.

What grit sandpaper should I use to prep the surface for adhesion of
the new paint ?

If you want a hell of a lot of hand work just use a Scotch-Brite™ pad
to scuff it up.

If you want to do it the easy way use an "adhesion promoter" like
Bulldog to give the old paint some "tooth"http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/pc-12811-695-klean-strip-bulldog-adhe...
*-----

- gpsman

No "Adhesion Promoter" will do didly over dirt, this is wrong info
gpsman, sorry but its a sales tactic. Clean, unglossed, low temp, NO
sun w/oilwhen hot, is what it takes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Mar 3, 4:46 pm, gpsman wrote:
On Mar 3, 11:30 am, WhiteTea wrote:

I will be painting a wrought iron fence that is already painted with
no rust.
What grit sandpaper should I use to prep the surface for adhesion of
the new paint ?

If you want a hell of a lot of hand work just use a Scotch-Brite™ pad
to scuff it up.

If you want to do it the easy way use an "adhesion promoter" like
Bulldog to give the old paint some "tooth"http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/pc-12811-695-klean-strip-bulldog-adhe...
-----

- gpsman

No "Adhesion Promoter" will do didly over dirt, this is wrong info
gpsman, sorry but its a sales tactic. Clean, unglossed, low temp, NO
sun w/oilwhen hot, is what it takes.

I agree with both comments, scotchbrite I trust (esp. the auto body
kind, not the kind that you use to scour your stainless pots) anything
in a bottle I do not.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 3, 8:14*pm, ransley wrote:
On Mar 3, 4:46*pm, gpsman wrote:
On Mar 3, 11:30*am, WhiteTea wrote:

I will be painting a wrought iron fence that is already painted with
no rust.

What grit sandpaper should I use to prep the surface for adhesion of
the new paint ?

If you want a hell of a lot of hand work just use a Scotch-Brite™ pad
to scuff it up.

If you want to do it the easy way use an "adhesion promoter" like
Bulldog to give the old paint some "tooth"http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/pc-12811-695-klean-strip-bulldog-adhe...

No "Adhesion Promoter" will do didly over dirt, this is wrong info
gpsman, sorry but its a sales tactic.

Sorry, but nobody suggested painting over dirt, you remarkable
Bullisesque ****wit.

In fact, first on the list of Bulldog "features and benefits" is,
"Makes paint stick to any *clean* surface".

Bulldog has been in use in the best automotive paint shops for more
than 30 years.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/3/2009 10:16 PM gpsman spake thus (responding to "ransley"):

Sorry, but nobody suggested painting over dirt, you remarkable
Bullisesque ****wit.

Hee hee. I second that emotion, but am puzzled: what is "Bullisesque"?

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 4, 2:25*am, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 3/3/2009 10:16 PM gpsman spake thus (responding to "ransley"):

Sorry, but nobody suggested painting over dirt, you remarkable
Bullisesque ****wit.

Hee hee. I second that emotion, but am puzzled: what is "Bullisesque"?

Pertaining to "Richard Bullis", aka "Richard the Stupid", aka "RtS",
undoubtedly the most indescribably ignorant, stupid and prolific
poster to ever manage to accidentally trip over Usenet.
http://www.kookpedia.net/index.php/Richard_Bullis
-----

- gpsman