Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sandpaper grit needed

On Mar 3, 1:29*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 3/3/2009 8:30 AM WhiteTea spake thus:

I will be painting a wrought iron fence that is already painted with
no rust.

What grit sandpaper should I use to prep the surface for adhesion of
the new paint ?

I'd start with 150 grit, see how it goes. Anything finer won't cut fast
enough.

You might want to try an "open coat" paper that won't clog with paint
too fast; normally when deglossing paint, the paper gets clogged or
loaded before actually wearing out.

If the paint surface is already dulled in some spots from weather, you
don't really have to sand it. All you're doing is "scuffing" to paint so
that the new paint will adhere to it.

You are going to use primer first, right? Tip: If the paint is a dark
color, get the primer tinted (gray) so you're not painting a dark color
over white. I did this recently on a wrought-iron fence, dark green, and
the paint covered in one coat.

--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "****" is incapable of writing a good summary

- Matthew White, referring to Wikipedia on his WikiWatch site
(http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)

150g would be a waste of paper and time, time is money on a iron fence
that will take forever anyway.