Posted to alt.home.repair

Default White spots after aplpying poly coat to wood floor

I had to refinish some worn spots in my wood floor, some of the poly and
stain was worn away due to foot traffic. I found a perfect match in stain
(MinWax wood finish) and brushed it over the worn spots after cleaning the
floor. After it soaked into the wood I wiped the excess away and let it dry
for at least 24 hours. The floor looked great with nice even color, except
there was no poly coat in the worn spots.

So a day or so later I brushed on some MinWax fast-drying polyeruthane over
the worn spots. At first, it looked great but as it dried I noticed that
white spots started to appear. No everywhere I applied the poly coat, but in
certain spots that more-or-less lined up with the previous worn spots.

How could the poly coat cause the stain to lighten? What can I do to remedy
this problem?

Many thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 27, 5:33*pm, "DesignGuy" wrote:
I had to refinish some worn spots in my wood floor, some of the poly and
stain was worn away due to foot traffic. I found a perfect match in stain
(MinWax wood finish) and brushed it over the worn spots after cleaning the
floor. After it soaked into the wood I wiped the excess away and let it dry
for at least 24 hours. The floor looked great with nice even color, except
there was no poly coat in the worn spots.

So a day or so later I brushed on some MinWax fast-drying polyeruthane over
the worn spots. At first, it looked great but as it dried I noticed that
white spots started to appear. No everywhere I applied the poly coat, but in
certain spots that more-or-less lined up with the previous worn spots.

How could the poly coat cause the stain to lighten? What can I do to remedy
this problem?

Many thanks

A photo just might you think help, but its a contamination that you
have,
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
[...]

Did you use a water based stain? It sounds to me that you may have water
trapped under the polyurethane.

EJ in NJ
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Was floor ever washed with one of the floor treatments that have
chemicals to make it shine, or waxed, but wait a few days maybe it
will get better