Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Touching up scratches in poly finish wood floor?

Subject pretty much says it all - as careful as am, I've seen a few
light scratches in the polyurethane finish on my oak floors, like under
the chairs in the dining room. Does anyone have a way of minimizing
things like this? I went with a natural finish (no stain) so hopefully
that helps.

VMacek

Posted to alt.home.repair

V,

Can't help with the scratches but any hardware store will sell a
collection of different furniture glides. I like the felt bottomed ones and
find that they minimize scratching.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Subject pretty much says it all - as careful as am, I've seen a few
light scratches in the polyurethane finish on my oak floors, like under
the chairs in the dining room. Does anyone have a way of minimizing
things like this? I went with a natural finish (no stain) so hopefully
that helps.

Usually, a very light sanding (220 grit) and a coat of poly and they are
gone. No need to do the entire floor, just the spots.

Check out new furniture glides. They come with felt or a plastic material
that moves very easily and does not scratch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Swipe some lemon oil (nice name for mineral oil) over them. David
suggested felt glides, and that's a good idea, too. If the floor is
swept very frequently, nylon glides also work well.

I've never heard this advice and am interested to know more. I can see
how the oil would help conceal scratches, but wouldn't it make the
floor slippery, trap dirt, and wear off eventually? Also, wouldn't
the oil interfere with an eventual top coat of poly?

Posted to alt.home.repair

bruce sells a scratch kit that doesn't work wall at all.
I find color matched putty and new poly over it blends well.

Empress2454 #124457

The best Games

Subject pretty much says it all - as careful as am, I've seen a few
light scratches in the polyurethane finish on my oak floors, like under
the chairs in the dining room. Does anyone have a way of minimizing
things like this? I went with a natural finish (no stain) so hopefully
that helps.

VMacek

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13 Sep 2006 07:42:33 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "trbo20"
quickly quoth:

Swipe some lemon oil (nice name for mineral oil) over them. David
suggested felt glides, and that's a good idea, too. If the floor is
swept very frequently, nylon glides also work well.

I've never heard this advice and am interested to know more. I can see
how the oil would help conceal scratches, but wouldn't it make the
floor slippery, trap dirt, and wear off eventually? Also, wouldn't
the oil interfere with an eventual top coat of poly?

It's a hide, not a fix. You wipe off most of the oil but enough stays
in the scratches to hide them, so it's not slippery and doesn't really
trap dirt. Yes, it wears off and dries out, but it can be touched up
every week in a minute or two...until they get tired of doing that and
finally refinish the floor.

And if it interferes with a top-coat, it means that you didn't prep
the floor before refinishing. It'll be a "Shame on you!"

-
If the gods had meant us to vote, they'd have given us candidates.
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Posted to alt.home.repair

Minwax makes a wipe on poly that they claim can be used to fix minor
straches on floors. See:
http://www.minwax.com/products/protective/wipe-on.cfm

If you try, post your results. I am curious on how well it works.

Subject pretty much says it all - as careful as am, I've seen a few