Posted to alt.home.repair

Default softener trouble

8 yr old kenmore softener - not softening - ran diagnostics seems fine,
water in brine tank, put in brining mode, unplugged and too 6 hrs for
about 18 inches of water to drain off. Cleaned everything, greased
caskets, checked resin tank, resin seemed fine, but tank was full of
freezing cold water. We only have unit hooked to hot water heater. Any
suggestions where to go from here?
-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

lclmbo10 wrote:
8 yr old kenmore softener - not softening - ran diagnostics seems fine,
water in brine tank, put in brining mode, unplugged and too 6 hrs for
about 18 inches of water to drain off. Cleaned everything, greased
caskets, checked resin tank, resin seemed fine, but tank was full of
freezing cold water. We only have unit hooked to hot water heater. Any
suggestions where to go from here?
-------------------------------------

Hi,
What did you clean? Took apart control head? Apparently it is not
sucking up the brine water in recharging mode. I had to buy a rebuild
kit from Sears and rebuild control head. Mine is over 10 years old.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:

Apparently it is not
sucking up the brine water in recharging mode.

My experience with Kenmore softeners (admitedly on a sample size of 1) is that
the siphon valve wears out. It's a rubber like disc with a very small water
path. Surprised the heck out of me that they would make a part so subject to
wear in such a soft material, but there you go.

If you very carefully take the siphon valve assembly apart - you'll need the
parts drawing, but it's to the left of the timer/main valve and clean/replace
that disc, you may get the unit working again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"lclmbo10" wrote in message
m...

8 yr old kenmore softener - not softening - ran diagnostics seems fine,
water in brine tank, put in brining mode, unplugged and too 6 hrs for
about 18 inches of water to drain off. Cleaned everything, greased
caskets, checked resin tank, resin seemed fine, but tank was full of
freezing cold water. We only have unit hooked to hot water heater. Any
suggestions where to go from here?

If it's not sucking in brine, then you probably need to buy a new rotor disc
and seal kit. That's how I fixed mine when it wouldn't draw in brine. Works
fine now. Either get the parts from Sears, or I have had great service from
http://www.softenerparts.zoovy.com/category/2600.sears/