Posted to alt.home.repair
rev rev is offline

Default Anybody know a good way to get this faucet apart?

My kitchen faucet is dripping. Makes me crazy. I cant figure out how
to get at the washer to replace it.

Here are a couple photos:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3543/...ab9af3.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3628/...a2f06e.jpg?v=0

The cowling doesnt have any obvious screws, but there may be some
under that inset (where the logo is, just above the lever.)

I dont know whether to try to pry off the the inset, or try to pry off
the whole cowling.

Any ideas?

Thanks, gang!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 14:21:56 -0800 (PST), rev
wrote:

My kitchen faucet is dripping. Makes me crazy. I cant figure out how
to get at the washer to replace it.

Here are a couple photos:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3543/...ab9af3.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3628/...a2f06e.jpg?v=0

The cowling doesnt have any obvious screws, but there may be some
under that inset (where the logo is, just above the lever.)

I dont know whether to try to pry off the the inset, or try to pry off
the whole cowling.

Any ideas?

Thanks, gang!

Pry the logo off with thin blade, from the edge (try not to chip). It
should pop out and expose the set screw. Go from there.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

rev wrote:
My kitchen faucet is dripping. Makes me crazy. I cant figure out how
to get at the washer to replace it.

That's a single lever faucet; will have a cartridge of some variety, not
washers...

The cowling doesnt have any obvious screws, but there may be some
under that inset (where the logo is, just above the lever.)

I dont know whether to try to pry off the the inset, or try to pry off
the whole cowling.

The first thing I'd recommend would be to figure out who the
manufacturer is and see if can find anything about it from them.

Failing that, photographs too out-of-focus and not closeup enough to
tell much. Might be something under the top emboss; see how it's on there.

Other than that, the top is a press fit if not as it can't be threaded
as the handle prevents rotation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 19, 5:21�pm, rev wrote:
My kitchen faucet is dripping. Makes me crazy. I cant figure out how
to get at the washer to replace it.

Here are a couple photos:
� �http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3543/...ab9af3.jpg?v=0
� �http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3628/...a2f06e.jpg?v=0

The cowling doesnt have any obvious screws, but there may be some
under that inset (where the logo is, just above the lever.)

I dont know whether to try to pry off the the inset, or try to pry off
the whole cowling.

Any ideas?

Thanks, gang!

Try the cowling first. It should be easy to get off. be gentle
Posted to alt.home.repair

Looks like an early Moen faucet. Try lifting the entire cap straight
up. Once that comes off, the lever is held in place by a plastic
leverage bridge that pulls the cartridge up and down. The lever and
the bridge are usually held in place by a screw.

If I remember correctly, you will find a round knurled knob that
unscrews. Once that's off, you can remove the retaining clip and pull
out the old cartridge. Sometimes they're a bearcat to remove. In that
case, run out to Home Depot and buy a special puller tool for Moen
cartridges. They run about $15. That turns the job into a piece of
cake.

Buy a new cartridge and lube it with plumbers grease. Pop it in and
re-assemble

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

I doubt its a moen but thought I would mention that a bunch of moen faucets
built 6 or 7 years ago were defective and started leaking under the sink.
Moen will send you a kit to rebuild it (not just a new cartridge) or sell
you the new model at a deep discount. The defect involved a anti siphoning
mechansim that was required for a short time before the gov gave up on it,

"rev" wrote in message
My kitchen faucet is dripping. Makes me crazy. I cant figure out how
to get at the washer to replace it.

Here are a couple photos:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3543/...ab9af3.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3628/...a2f06e.jpg?v=0

The cowling doesnt have any obvious screws, but there may be some
under that inset (where the logo is, just above the lever.)

I dont know whether to try to pry off the the inset, or try to pry off
the whole cowling.

Any ideas?

Thanks, gang!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Art" wrote:

I doubt its a moen but thought I would mention that a bunch of moen faucets
built 6 or 7 years ago were defective and started leaking under the sink.
Moen will send you a kit to rebuild it (not just a new cartridge) or sell
you the new model at a deep discount. The defect involved a anti siphoning
mechansim that was required for a short time before the gov gave up on it,

Hmm, I bought a Moen on a whim from the HD sale table one day about 5
years ago. Was just thinking about installing it. How do you spot the
bad ones, other than the leak?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Art" wrote:

I doubt its a moen but thought I would mention that a bunch of moen
faucets
built 6 or 7 years ago were defective and started leaking under the sink.
Moen will send you a kit to rebuild it (not just a new cartridge) or sell
you the new model at a deep discount. The defect involved a anti
siphoning
mechansim that was required for a short time before the gov gave up on
it,

Hmm, I bought a Moen on a whim from the HD sale table one day about 5
years ago. Was just thinking about installing it. How do you spot the
bad ones, other than the leak?

I would call up moen and give them the model info. Mine was a white sink
faucet single handle.