Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Finish Nail Gun? 15ga - 16ga - 18ga ?

I'm curious how many people own several sizes?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I own an 18ga and a 15ga. There are jobs for each that the other
would not be suited for. I have borrowed a framing nailer for jobs
neither of the two I own could have done.

G.S.

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 10:09:24 -0800 (PST), Davej
wrote:

I'm curious how many people own several sizes?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 12:09*pm, Davej wrote:
I'm curious how many people own several sizes?

12ga mossberg pump folding stock
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 12:27 pm, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Feb 16 2009, Davej wrote:

I'm curious how many people own several sizes?

I own an 18ga and a 15ga. There are jobs for each that the other
would not be suited for. I have borrowed a framing nailer for jobs
neither of the two I own could have done.

That is what I was thinking of getting, but then I started wondering
if I would really need both.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Feb 16 2009, Davej wrote:
I'm curious how many people own several sizes?

I own an 18ga and a 15ga. There are jobs for each that the other
would not be suited for. I have borrowed a framing nailer for jobs
neither of the two I own could have done.

That is what I was thinking of getting, but then I started wondering
if I would really need both.

All depends on what you intend to use it/them for...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Davej wrote:
I'm curious how many people own several sizes?

Depends. If you're going to mainly secure molding, get a brad nailer. Mine
shoots 1-1/4 and 2" brads. Works swell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16, 10:09*am, Davej wrote:
I'm curious how many people own several sizes?

I bought

a new 18ga Porter Cable BN200 shoots 5/8" thru 2"

a used 16ga Accuset 1" thru 2 1/2" (Senco cheap line) it failed & I
replaced it with a Paslode 16ga straight brad nailer (uses the same
brads, since I had a bunch of SS)

I went 'round & 'round trying to decide 16ga (.062" dia) vs 15ga (.
072" dia)

the 15ga nailers tend to use a fastener more like a true finish....it
more like a real nail gun
the 16ga brad nailer, a more rectangular shaped brad

I got the 16ga nailer because it was cheap on ebay

There is a fair amount of overlap for what the 18ga & 16ga brad
nailers can do

I think if I had to do it over again....I might go with a 15ga finish
nailer & I wouldn't buy that cheap Accuset

but now that I have lot of $'s in 16ga SS straight collated brads, I'm
sticking with 16ga.

my buddy has a 23ga pin nailer that we use for base shoe or scribe
molding

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm curious how many people own several sizes?

All of them!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 16 2009, Davej wrote:

I'm curious how many people own several sizes?

I own an 18ga and a 15ga. There are jobs for each that the other
would not be suited for. I have borrowed a framing nailer for jobs
neither of the two I own could have done.

That is what I was thinking of getting, but then I started wondering
if I would really need both.

C'mon, Dave. You're among friends. Go out in the shop and look around.
Just how many of those tools do you "need"? A guy can never have too many
fishing poles or tools. Impossible. Look in your wife's cosmetic drawer.
How many colors of lipstick does she have? How many does she actually use?
(Try this argument on her when she complains of your tools. It never works,
but it buys a little time.)

I have the 15 and the 18, mainly because I got them both new at the pawn
shop. A Porter-Cable and a DeWalt. They are both good for a lot of
different stuff. Once you get to using one much, you will find out if you
need another of a different size. They are amazing tools, and I love mine.

But I think I need a bigger one, especially when looking at a framing hammer
and 5# of 16d. nails.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Davej wrote in news:6673b972-ed63-4345-b14f-
:

I'm curious how many people own several sizes?

I have one of the Porter Cable pancake combo kits. The finsh nailer does 16
ga and the brad nailer does 18ga.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 16, 12:09*pm, Davej wrote:
I'm curious how many people own several sizes?

Pot me down for 18 and 15 ga. Senco and Milwaukee. Plus Milwaukee
shingle nailer, Senco framer, Senco palm nailer. I mostly use my
hammer for holding up the shop window in summer as it needs new
balance springs or some such, and driving Romex staples..

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Davej" wrote in message
I'm curious how many people own several sizes?

I bought reconditioned Bostitch's from toolbarn.com and picked up a 16 and
an 18ga. I tossed around the 15ga but a sale price pushed me to the 16 ga.
No regrets.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 2/16/2009 1:09 PM (ET) Davej wrote the following:
I'm curious how many people own several sizes?

I only own one, a Porter-Cable 15 ga. The first time I used it was many
years ago when I did some baseboard work for my brother-in-law in one
small room. That was also the last time I used it. I have done many
small jobs since where I could have used it, but it was just too much
trouble to get it out, load it up, drag a compressor out, and hook up
the air hose, so I just took the hammer and nail set route, even when I
replaced the baseboard and door molding in the master bedroom a few
months ago. Maybe I would have used a power nailer more if I had bought
a Paslode nailer.
Unless you are in the carpentry or woodworking business, or changing all
the molding in your house, forget the compressor type.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Davej" wrote in message
I'm curious how many people own several sizes?

In 20 years you might still be able to get nails with the 18ga.

I have a pile of old guns that I can't find nails/staples for any more. And
the seals cost more than a new gun from Harbor Freight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
On Feb 16, 12:09 pm, Davej wrote:
I'm curious how many people own several sizes?

12ga mossberg pump folding stock

So, no 16ga or 410?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ulysses" wrote in message

"ransley" wrote in message
On Feb 16, 12:09 pm, Davej wrote:
I'm curious how many people own several sizes?

12ga mossberg pump folding stock

So, no 16ga or 410?

All 12 ga. here. No confusion over shells. 2 Remingtons and a Mossberg.

Finish Nail Gun? Davej Home Repair 23 February 13th 09 06:34 AM
16ga or 18ga nails for molding? Greg M Woodworking 8 April 1st 05 04:34 AM
16ga or 18ga nails for molding? Greg M Home Repair 8 April 1st 05 04:34 AM
Need Advice of Finish Nail Gun to Buy - 15 or 16 gauge makesawdust Woodworking 7 January 31st 05 04:03 PM
Is there a difference btw a Finish nail gun and Brad nail gun? dteckie Woodworking 4 September 10th 04 12:03 PM