Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cleaning a refrigerator with coils underneath?

Hi all,

started "spring cleaning" in my kitchen this AM. Am stuck on
refrigerator. Every one I've owned has had the coils on the back where
it was simple to just pull the fridge out, quick swipe with dust brush
on vacuum, et voila. Well apparently this fridge has the coils
*underneath...* how does one clean those without tipping the fridge on
its side? Not enough room to get any vacuum attachments under there.
Looks like the previous owners of the house never cleaned it either.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:

Hi all,

started "spring cleaning" in my kitchen this AM. Am stuck on
refrigerator. Every one I've owned has had the coils on the back where
it was simple to just pull the fridge out, quick swipe with dust brush
on vacuum, et voila. Well apparently this fridge has the coils
*underneath...* how does one clean those without tipping the fridge on
its side? Not enough room to get any vacuum attachments under there.
Looks like the previous owners of the house never cleaned it either.

Underneath, or inside? My fridge has the coils in a round configuration
around a fan which you can access by removing the back cover (lower 1/4)
to clean. If truly underneath, I'd suggest a vacuum with crevice nozzle
as close as you can get, and then poke back under with a toilet brush to
dislodge dust.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bubba wrote:
On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 15:54:43 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

Hi all,

started "spring cleaning" in my kitchen this AM. Am stuck on
refrigerator. Every one I've owned has had the coils on the back where
it was simple to just pull the fridge out, quick swipe with dust brush
on vacuum, et voila. Well apparently this fridge has the coils
*underneath...* how does one clean those without tipping the fridge on
its side? Not enough room to get any vacuum attachments under there.
Looks like the previous owners of the house never cleaned it either.

nate

Use this
http://www.acehardware.com/sm-rubber...i-1279693.html
and a vacuum cleaner.
Unplug the fridge first. You'd be suprised at the scare when you hit
that moving condenser fan with your brush. :-)
Bubba

Thanks, figures there was a special tool. Are those typically found in
the Big Boxes or will I need to order one? I figure between that and
one of these:

I should be good (already ordered the flex tool, as there's a lot of
lint buildup in my dryer that it looks like that would be just the
ticket for.)

I'm not enamored of the fridge design, not only is it a PITA to clean
the coils, but you can't remove the drip tray for cleaning either.
Would it be advisable to leave some Lysol or similar in the bottom of
it? Looks like stuff has been growing in there a while. (probably about
20 years...)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Persoanlly, I think the easiest and best way to clean them is to blow
them out with compressed air if you have a compressor, although it can
be little messy for the surrounding area. Bubba-- remember the good old
days when we would just hit them with some 22, or even 12? Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bubba wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I dont think Id have ordered the flex tool. Just looks "silly" if you
ask me. Seems its only for a certain sweeper too??
You'll find the brush in most hardware stores and big box stores.
If the drip pan is rubber or plastic Id just put a small amount of
bleach premixed in water and pour it in there. Not too strong though.
Bubba

for $15 I'll give it a try, and that is the kind of vacuum that I have.
I have some low bookshelves etc. as well that the regular floor tool
won't fit under, if it works it'll save me some work. Have to keep an
eye out for one of those brushes.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi all,

started "spring cleaning" in my kitchen this AM. Am stuck on
refrigerator. Every one I've owned has had the coils on the back where
it was simple to just pull the fridge out, quick swipe with dust brush
on vacuum, et voila. Well apparently this fridge has the coils
*underneath...* how does one clean those without tipping the fridge on
its side? Not enough room to get any vacuum attachments under there.
Looks like the previous owners of the house never cleaned it either.

nate

My coils are near the floor also. You can purchase a brush made
specifically for this (HD or Lowes). But still, be gentle with the
coils. I use both this brush and the brush attachment to a vacuum
and get 80% of it. It needs cleaning about twice a year, maybe more
than that if you have furry pets. Obviously(!), not a good idea to
tip/move the fridge, unless absolutely necessary. And don't even
think about using compressed air.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
Hi all,

started "spring cleaning" in my kitchen this AM. Am stuck on
refrigerator. Every one I've owned has had the coils on the back where
it was simple to just pull the fridge out, quick swipe with dust brush
on vacuum, et voila. Well apparently this fridge has the coils
*underneath...* how does one clean those without tipping the fridge on
its side? Not enough room to get any vacuum attachments under there.
Looks like the previous owners of the house never cleaned it either.

nate

leaf blower... LOL! get a skinny tube for your vac. Even a piece of
1/2" pvc adapted to your hose with UAT (universal adapting tape) will do
the job.

steve
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 14, 7:49*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
Hi all,

started "spring cleaning" in my kitchen this AM. *Am stuck on
refrigerator. *Every one I've owned has had the coils on the back where
it was simple to just pull the fridge out, quick swipe with dust brush
on vacuum, et voila. *Well apparently this fridge has the coils
*underneath...* how does one clean those without tipping the fridge on
its side? *Not enough room to get any vacuum attachments under there.
Looks like the previous owners of the house never cleaned it either.

nate

leaf blower... * LOL! *get a skinny tube for your vac. *Even a piece of
1/2" pvc adapted to your hose with UAT (universal adapting tape) will do
the job.

steve

I've had good success rolling up a piece of heavy card stock into a
funnel then taping it together and then taping it to my vacuum hose.
works pretty well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bubba sent you a link to Ace Hardware. I've also seen
refrigerator condensor brushes at Home Depot. Go to major
appliances, and ask. Abotu seven bucks. About two feet long,
with a wooden handle.

You will need three hands. 1) Brush, 2) vacuum cleaner hose,
3) flashlight.

As a repair guy, I have made a lot of money with a condensor
brush. Brought a lot of refrigerators back to life, that
way.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yep, that's when R-12 was thirty bucks a jug.

You can do that under a refrig, if you want. The brush and
vacuum cleaner hose is much better, most of the dust goes
right into the vac.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Lp1331 1p1331" wrote in message
Persoanlly, I think the easiest and best way to clean them
is to blow
them out with compressed air if you have a compressor,
although it can
be little messy for the surrounding area. Bubba-- remember
the good old
days when we would just hit them with some 22, or even 12?
Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
Well apparently this fridge has the coils *underneath...* how does
one clean those without tipping the fridge on its side?

Like Bubba said, get a "condenser brush". Besides the hardware store
and Home Depot/Lowe's, appliance parts stores will have them. Even
places that mostly do small appliances (like vacuum cleaners) usually
have them. Also like he said, unplug the refrigerator first - there is
a fan that blows air over the condenser coils and the blade usually
doesn't have any kind of a shroud or guard around it.

The grill on the front of the refrigerator at the bottom usually unclips
(by pulling straight forwards) or unscrews so you can get at the coils
from the front. If it has screws, put the screws up on the kitchen
counter or in your pocket when you get them out, so you don't kick them
under the refrigerator, or suck them up with the vacuum.

If it's really crudded up and you're having trouble getting at it from
the front, there is often a panel on the rear you can take off to get
more access. You'll have to pull the refrigerator out away from the
wall to do this. The panel is maybe a foot (30 cm) tall and not quite
the width of the refrigerator. Sometimes it just clips on and sometimes
there are some screws around the edge (often 1/4" or 5/16" hex head)
that you have to take out first - again, stow the screws somewhere safe.
From the back you can probably also see and reach the condenser fan
blade; you might clean it off with a rag or the brush if there is lots
of dust built up on the blades.

As for the drip pan not coming out - you might get a strong light and
inspect it closely. Often these are taped down to the frame at the
bottom of the refrigerator with a couple of pieces of tape when the
fridge is shipped from the factory. If it's never been cleaned, these
pieces of tape might still be there (maybe hiding under a dust bunny).

When you get it all put back together and plug it back in, don't freak
out if it seems like it's running for a very long or very short amount
of time. Let it run and check on it again in 24 hours. If it hasn't
settled down by then, or if you notice some other problem (like your
food isn't staying cold), then investigate further.

Matt Roberds

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well apparently this fridge has the coils *underneath...* how does one
clean those without tipping the fridge on its side?

The manuals normally tell you how.
Besides I can't believe you don't knot how to do it. Amazing!

{in sarcastic voice...}
Lisa....

What, you expect *GUYS* to keep and read manuals????

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 15 Feb 2009 17:55:56 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

Also,use a cardboard tube from Xmas wrapping paper on your ShopVac hose;the
tube can squish down a bit to slip under the fridge.

That's a great tip!

How to vacuum coils on Kenmore refrigerator? [email protected] Home Repair 1 May 13th 08 11:50 PM
cleaning coils under the fridge ap Home Repair 13 December 8th 06 12:28 AM
Refrigerator Coils Kate Home Repair 2 August 9th 06 04:07 PM
Tuckpointing behind/underneath a soffit? Joey Goldstein Home Repair 0 July 13th 05 09:39 PM