Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water Neutralizers Cost

The plumbers have told my grandmother that she needs a self- cleaning
water neutralizer. I really have no doubt of this as she has had
serious copper corrosion issues, and the plumbers have had her water
tested and found it to have a very low pH (high acid).
My question has to do with how much she will be paying. They have
quoted her around $1300 installed. I have seen a couple units online
for about $1000. It looks like installation is realtively simple.
She is on a fixed income and needs to watch her pennies. Can
someone give guidelines as to how much she should spend?
Help much appreciated!
Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 11, 3:35*pm, frank1492 wrote:
The plumbers have told my grandmother that she needs a self- cleaning
water neutralizer. I really have no doubt of this as she has had
serious copper corrosion issues, and the plumbers have had her water
tested and found it to have a very low pH (high acid).
* * *My question has to do with how much she will be paying. They have
quoted her around $1300 installed. I have seen a couple units online
for about $1000. It looks like installation is realtively simple.
* * *She is on a fixed income and needs to watch her pennies. Can
someone give guidelines as to how much she should spend?
* * *Help much appreciated!
* * * * *Frank

Is it well water, you can do a ph test yourself with a lawn test kit
or litmus paper for 1$. Call your city for unbiased honest advise. To
many "Pros" prey on the old folks everywhere. Trust nobody, do your
research. How old is the copper, what is happening, and where. How
about the neighbors, what do they do, ask them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 16:35:43 -0500, frank1492
wrote Re Water Neutralizers Cost:

The plumbers have told my grandmother that she needs a self- cleaning
water neutralizer. I really have no doubt of this as she has had
serious copper corrosion issues, and the plumbers have had her water
tested and found it to have a very low pH (high acid).
My question has to do with how much she will be paying. They have
quoted her around $1300 installed. I have seen a couple units online
for about $1000. It looks like installation is realtively simple.
She is on a fixed income and needs to watch her pennies. Can
someone give guidelines as to how much she should spend?
Help much appreciated!
Frank

I have a neutralizer and $300 to install the unit sounds reasonable to
me, provided that:

1) The installation includes the needed provision for back flushing
(may not be needed in a municipal water system)

2) The installation includes bypass valves and piping so the unit can
be bypassed and removed for service if needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Caesar, can you tell me what brand of neutralizer you have
and what it cost, exclusive of installation?
I think they have recommended a model that doesn't require
back flushing. I assume you do have to add a calcium compound
once a year, no?
Some good advice on bypass...l

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 16:47:02 -0600, Caesar Romano
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Feb 11, 3:35*pm, frank1492 wrote:
The plumbers have told my grandmother that she needs a self- cleaning
water neutralizer. I really have no doubt of this as she has had
serious copper corrosion issues, and the plumbers have had her water
tested and found it to have a very low pH (high acid).
* * *My question has to do with how much she will be paying. They have
quoted her around $1300 installed. I have seen a couple units online
for about $1000. It looks like installation is realtively simple.
* * *She is on a fixed income and needs to watch her pennies. Can
someone give guidelines as to how much she should spend?
* * *Help much appreciated!
* * * * *Frank

While they are at it, replacing some or all of the copper with PEX
might be helpful. Depends on budget, etc., of course.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 20:43:44 -0500, frank1492
wrote Re Water Neutralizers Cost:

Caesar, can you tell me what brand of neutralizer you have
and what it cost, exclusive of installation?
I think they have recommended a model that doesn't require
back flushing. I assume you do have to add a calcium compound
once a year, no?
Some good advice on bypass...l

I have a Sears neutralizer that I purchased about 25-years ago. It's
a model 625.340240. As I recall it cost about $350 at the time.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Doc Doc is offline

frank1492 wrote in
:

The plumbers have told my grandmother that she needs a self- cleaning
water neutralizer. I really have no doubt of this as she has had
serious copper corrosion issues, and the plumbers have had her water
tested and found it to have a very low pH (high acid).
My question has to do with how much she will be paying. They have
quoted her around $1300 installed. I have seen a couple units online
for about $1000. It looks like installation is realtively simple.
She is on a fixed income and needs to watch her pennies. Can
someone give guidelines as to how much she should spend?
Help much appreciated!
Frank

Frank,

I went though the same thing last year, dumping an unnecessary softener
and a green sand unit which had not been touched by previous owner in
years. (bought house a couple of years ago) I used a local well supply
company and paid about $900 for the unit which then needed to plumbed in
using an adaptor block with bypass valves built in. The plumbing was
very straightforward and it is installed right after the pump, before
any of the house plumbing.

The $1300 price you stated sounds about right in this area, southern New
Jersey, and the diagnosis for needing the unit also sounds correct to
me. I periodically test the water myself with pool test stips and the
unit appears to be doing the job. As it is a fiberglass tank, I can
check the level of the chems easily by shining a flashlight through the
tank and have not needed to add chems. for two years. I did use a
mixture of the calcium pellets (sorry I do not remember the exact names)
using 3 times as much of the less aggresive stuff as of the more
aggresive. This was suggested by the supply company folks to reduce the
speed of the chemicals desolving. The pellets cost maybe $20 for a 40
(ish) pound bag of the less agressive stuff and maybe $10 for a 2.5
gallon bucket of the more agressive stuff. I used all of the forty pound
bag and maybe half of the of stuff in the bucket.

Hope this is of help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Caesar Romano" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 20:43:44 -0500, frank1492
wrote Re Water Neutralizers Cost:

Caesar, can you tell me what brand of neutralizer you have
and what it cost, exclusive of installation?
I think they have recommended a model that doesn't require
back flushing. I assume you do have to add a calcium compound
once a year, no?
Some good advice on bypass...l

I have a Sears neutralizer that I purchased about 25-years ago. It's
a model 625.340240. As I recall it cost about $350 at the time.

I'm sure that 25 year old info is real helpfull..LOL...1300 is about right
for TODAY installed......