Posted to alt.home.repair

Default water heater problem

After using only a little water for a bath, the water became only luke
warm. I checked the circuit breaker, it was OK. With the breaker
off, I put an ohm meter on each element. One showed 11.9 ohms, the
other 12.9. I turned the thermostats up from 130-135 to 150 and now
the water is hot. Could one of the elements be burned out, if they
are showing about 12 ohms of resistance?
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jud McCranie wrote:
After using only a little water for a bath, the water became only luke
warm. I checked the circuit breaker, it was OK. With the breaker
off, I put an ohm meter on each element. One showed 11.9 ohms, the
other 12.9. I turned the thermostats up from 130-135 to 150 and now
the water is hot. Could one of the elements be burned out, if they
are showing about 12 ohms of resistance?

Hi,
There are two elements, top and bottom with corresponding thermostat.
The temp is usually set at 145 deg. You checked the element which showed
continuity meaning it is not burned out. You have to check 'stat. Some
times 'stat fails open or shut. For further info. Google how electric
water heater works, etc.
Good luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jud McCranie" wrote in message
After using only a little water for a bath, the water became only luke
warm. I checked the circuit breaker, it was OK. With the breaker
off, I put an ohm meter on each element. One showed 11.9 ohms, the
other 12.9. I turned the thermostats up from 130-135 to 150 and now
the water is hot. Could one of the elements be burned out, if they
are showing about 12 ohms of resistance?

If they both show about the same resistance then it is doubtful they are
burned out. That calculates out to about 4000 watts each. That is normal
for most home water heaters. It may have been a stuck or bad thermostat.
The next time you have a cold water condition measuer the voltage across the
elements and see if they have voltage on them. It is possiable that one of
the elements may be opening up when it gets hot, but I doubt it. A clamp on
ampmeter would tell if the element is bad .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 21:44:54 -0500, Jud McCranie
wrote:

After using only a little water for a bath, the water became only luke
warm.

Now I believe this was a false alarm, with my daughter vastly
understating the amount of water she used. Hot water is back. Thanks
for the replies.

--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

After using only a little water for a bath, the water became only luke
warm.

Now I believe this was a false alarm, with my daughter vastly
understating the amount of water she used. Hot water is back. Thanks
for the replies.

Yep. My daughter can go through 40 gals. of hot water with one shower. :-)
I tried to get her to take a "Navy shower", but she refuses.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message

Yep. My daughter can go through 40 gals. of hot water with one shower. :-)
I tried to get her to take a "Navy shower", but she refuses.

I think we have the same daughter. I used to shut the hot water off
sometimes to get her out. She also had more shampoo and conditioner than we
have nuclear weapons stockpiled. When she finally married and moved, we did
not have to buy any shampoo for a few years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"willshak" wrote in message

Yep. My daughter can go through 40 gals. of hot water with one
shower. :-) I tried to get her to take a "Navy shower", but she
refuses.

I think we have the same daughter. I used to shut the hot water off
sometimes to get her out. She also had more shampoo and conditioner
than we have nuclear weapons stockpiled. When she finally married
and moved, we did not have to buy any shampoo for a few years.

If she married well, it was an "investment," not an expense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"willshak" wrote in message

Yep. My daughter can go through 40 gals. of hot water with one
shower. :-) I tried to get her to take a "Navy shower", but she
refuses.

I think we have the same daughter. I used to shut the hot water off
sometimes to get her out. She also had more shampoo and conditioner
than we have nuclear weapons stockpiled. When she finally married and
moved, we did not have to buy any shampoo for a few years.

Give her an 80gal water heater as a wedding present?

Water heater problem Phil[_11_] Home Repair 18 November 14th 19 11:44 AM
water heater problem daniel-matt Home Repair 3 January 4th 09 07:27 PM
Water Heater Problem Eric Home Repair 13 March 12th 06 11:36 PM
Water Heater: Slow Heating Of Water Problem. Draining/Flushing Help ? Robert11 Home Repair 9 March 22nd 05 02:28 AM
Water heater problem R.Smyth Home Repair 1 December 11th 04 06:47 AM