Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default water heater problem

Jud McCranie wrote:
After using only a little water for a bath, the water became only luke
warm. I checked the circuit breaker, it was OK. With the breaker
off, I put an ohm meter on each element. One showed 11.9 ohms, the
other 12.9. I turned the thermostats up from 130-135 to 150 and now
the water is hot. Could one of the elements be burned out, if they
are showing about 12 ohms of resistance?

Hi,
There are two elements, top and bottom with corresponding thermostat.
The temp is usually set at 145 deg. You checked the element which showed
continuity meaning it is not burned out. You have to check 'stat. Some
times 'stat fails open or shut. For further info. Google how electric
water heater works, etc.
Good luck.