Posted to alt.home.repair

Default moving existing stove vent

We just bought an above range venting microwave...we had to buy a new
cabinet for above the stove so it would fit. Our problem now is that we
need to move the vent opening higher...how do we do this?? Is there some
type of tubeing available so we can use the existing hole...I don't want
to put another hole on the out side of my house!!

-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 6:13*pm, (daleys2001)
wrote:
We just bought an above range venting microwave...we had to buy a new
cabinet for above the stove so it would fit. *Our problem now is that we
need to move the vent opening higher...how do we do this?? Is there some
type of tubeing available so we can use the existing hole...I don't want
to put another hole on the out side of my house!!

It is doable, but you are going to have to be a little creative and do
some demo.

First off, mark off where the new vent has to be cut. There should be
a paper template that came with the microwave that tells you exactly
where the vent needs to be.

Now, cut out the opening of the new vent and carry that line down to
where the existing outside vent is. When you are done, you should have
an opening 10" wide from the top of the new vent to the bottom of the
old vent. Don't worry about closing the hole, you just put a piece of
sheetrock or plywood, its getting covered anyway by the microwave.

Go to Lowes or HD and get yourself 2 pieces 3 1/4" X 10" 90 "short"
elbows. They must be short elbows to make the tight turn inside the
wall. And get a piece of 3 1/4" X 10" rect duct. Run the duct from the
old outside vent, up the wall, then turn out to the microwave. Do not
use the damper on the back of the microwave. Remove the flapper, just
keep the flange, or else when it opens it blocks the duct opening in
the short elbow. If your outside vent has a damper, thats all you
need.
Here is some pics when I renovated my kitchen. Although I vented
through the roof, you can see the idea of using the short elbow and
the rect duct inside the wall.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
Posted to alt.home.repair

daleys2001 had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...nt-357563-.htm
:
Thank you!!! Your link for the picture did not work...could you maybe try
again :-)

-------------------------------------
Mikepier wrote:

On Feb 4, 6:13=A0pm, (daleys2001)
wrote:
We just bought an above range venting microwave...we had to buy a
new
cabinet for above the stove so it would fit. =A0Our problem now is
that w=

[...]

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...at=3Ddirectli=
nk

Posted to alt.home.repair

"daleys2001" wrote in message
om...
daleys2001 had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...nt-357563-.htm
:
Thank you!!! Your link for the picture did not work...could you maybe try
again :-)

It worked for me......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 4, 10:38*pm,
(daleys2001) wrote:
daleys2001 had written this in response tohttp://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-moving-existing-stove-...
*:
Thank you!!! Your link for the picture did not work...could you maybe try
again :-)

-------------------------------------

Mikepier wrote:
On Feb 4, 6:13=A0pm, (daleys2001)
wrote:
[...]

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...JxuA?feat=3Ddi....
nk

Delivered via *http://www.thestuccocompany.com/

Do you have something blocked on your computer preventing you from
seeing the pics?
Otherwise here is a pic of the elbow ( remember get a short elbow)
http://images.orgill.com/200x200/6753362.jpg

and here is a image of rect duct ( you would have to cut it to size
with tin snips)
http://images.orgill.com/200x200/6753370.jpg