Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Sliming" aluminum wheels

So many opinions on how bad aluminum wheels are- Has anyone had any
luck with slime or a similar product?

I asked my mechanic how bad it was to replace a tire that had been
slimed and he said he didn't care for it. But it might be worth the
extra $ one time to be able to stop adding air weekly to the 8
aluminum wheels in my driveway.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 12:25�pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
So many opinions on how bad aluminum wheels are- �Has anyone had any
luck with slime or a similar product? �

I asked my mechanic how bad it was to replace a tire that had been
slimed and he said he didn't care for it. � But it might be worth the
extra $ one time to be able to stop adding air weekly to the 8
aluminum wheels in my driveway.

Jim

I just replaced the alunimum wheels with steel ones

Get the steel wheels from a auto scrapyard, they are pretty cheap,
espically if you need 8 NEGOIATE!

You can then sell the alunimu ones. I traded them for hupcaps since I
didnt want to advertise the old wheels pure lazy.

best change I ever made, the only better one was a remote
starter......

replace wheels at time of new tires so balance and mounting isnt extra
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 12:25:12 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

So many opinions on how bad aluminum wheels are- Has anyone had any
luck with slime or a similar product?

I asked my mechanic how bad it was to replace a tire that had been
slimed and he said he didn't care for it. But it might be worth the
extra $ one time to be able to stop adding air weekly to the 8
aluminum wheels in my driveway.

Jim

That slime stuff is a really nasty product. Some tyre outlets
refuse to work on a wheel that has had it. It can cause off balance
and other problems. Just Say No!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I had problems with all of my aluminum wheels until I started
insisting that the tire tech clean the rim before he seated the tire.
They get corrosion in the bead area and leak. If you wirebrush it they
won't leak.

Agree, too many "techs" either are lazy or don't know any better. It's
such a simple solution, yet some tire _experts_ fail to have knowledge of
it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
So many opinions on how bad aluminum wheels are- Has anyone had any
luck with slime or a similar product?

I asked my mechanic how bad it was to replace a tire that had been
slimed and he said he didn't care for it. But it might be worth the
extra $ one time to be able to stop adding air weekly to the 8
aluminum wheels in my driveway.

Jim

You don't 'slime' (or any other sealant for that matter) tires that go
over 25mph.

They'll shake like a fukkin leaf and you'll never do an inside repair
again. (not without serious cleaning anyway)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 5:17�pm, "Kirby" wrote:
wrote in message

I had problems with all of my aluminum wheels until I started
insisting that the tire tech clean the rim before he seated the tire.
They get corrosion in the bead area and leak. If you wirebrush it they
won't leak.

Agree, too many "techs" either are lazy or don't know any better. �It's
such a simple solution, yet some tire _experts_ fail to have knowledge of
it.

mine were wire brushed and sealed with a yellow goop, and still leaked
spring and more commonly in the fall..........

convert to steel wheels problem permanetely gone
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 12:25 pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I asked my mechanic how bad it was to replace a tire that had been
slimed and he said he didn't care for it.

A mechanic friend got fix-a-flat in his eyes while breaking a bead on
a tire. He eventually recovered, but he was out of work for a
while.

If you ever use that stuff, be sure to warn anyone who ever works on
the tire.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Reverend Natural Light wrote:
On Jan 31, 12:25 pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
I asked my mechanic how bad it was to replace a tire that had been
slimed and he said he didn't care for it.

A mechanic friend got fix-a-flat in his eyes while breaking a bead on
a tire. He eventually recovered, but he was out of work for a
while.

If you ever use that stuff, be sure to warn anyone who ever works on
the tire.

fix a flat IS some nasty stuff. It also has ammonia in it. If it's
been in a tire more than a few hours, the tire interior will most likely
become unrepairable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 2, 5:45�pm, Steve Barker TB
wrote:
The Reverend Natural Light wrote:

On Jan 31, 12:25 pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
I asked my mechanic how bad it was to replace a tire that had been
slimed and he said he didn't care for it.

A mechanic friend got fix-a-flat in his eyes while breaking a bead on
a tire. �He eventually recovered, but he was out of work for a
while.

If you ever use that stuff, be sure to warn anyone who ever works on
the tire.

fix a flat IS some nasty stuff. �It also has ammonia in it. �If it's
been in a tire more than a few hours, the tire interior will most likely
become unrepairable.

the proper solution is STEEL WHEELS.

Steel rusts so slowly the chance of a leak is very low