Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I Extend IG Circuit?

I have an insulated ground circuit that an electrician installed for my PC
about 20 years ago. It is 20 amp, and the only receptacle is orange in
color.

Can I extend this circuit to another box and receptacle? Does the recetacle
need to be IG, or will a regular 20amp commercial grade circuit be adequate?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 9:26*am, "Perry Aynum" wrote:
I have an insulated ground circuit that an electrician installed for my PC
about 20 years ago. *It is 20 amp, and the only receptacle is orange in
color.

Can I extend this circuit to another box and receptacle? *Does the recetacle
need to be IG, or will a regular 20amp commercial grade circuit be adequate?

I believe what you have is called an "isolated" ground, not an
insulated one, which would make little sense. All that means is that
there are no other loads on that line sharing that ground. The theory
there is to offer some additional protection from ground induced
currents from other loads that might be present. From practical
experience of billions of users, it isn't needed for a PC.

So, yes you can extend it to another outlet using a normal
receptacle. Just be aware that if you put some nasty load on it,
like an AC, any noises, surges, etc will be on the same line as the PC.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Perry Aynum" wrote in message
news
I have an insulated ground circuit that an electrician installed for my PC
about 20 years ago. It is 20 amp, and the only receptacle is orange in
color.

Can I extend this circuit to another box and receptacle? Does the
recetacle need to be IG, or will a regular 20amp commercial grade circuit
be adequate?
You probably don't need the existing one to be ig, and if not it wouldn't
matter. I would either install ig cable (MC) to the next outlet and use an
ig receptacle, or use whatever type 20 amp feed conductors you'd like and
install standard receptacles at both locations

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jan 31, 9:26 am, "Perry Aynum" wrote:
I have an insulated ground circuit that an electrician installed for my PC
about 20 years ago. It is 20 amp, and the only receptacle is orange in
color.

Can I extend this circuit to another box and receptacle? Does the recetacle
need to be IG, or will a regular 20amp commercial grade circuit be adequate?

I believe what you have is called an "isolated" ground, not an
insulated one, which would make little sense. All that means is that
there are no other loads on that line sharing that ground. The theory
there is to offer some additional protection from ground induced
currents from other loads that might be present. From practical
experience of billions of users, it isn't needed for a PC.

It is "isolated ground" but it is also insulated. If you have metal
boxes (the wiring system grounds the boxes), the wiring includes an
insulated ground wire that connects to the IG receptacle. The unique
feature of a IG receptacle (orange) is that the receptacle ground
connects only to the ground screw, it does not connect to the mounting
strap. So the IG receptacle connects only through the source ground
wire. Someplace like commercial there are more likely to be other ground
currents in the return path for the metal box.

I agree that IG is not necessary in a house (and not likely anywhere
else for a PC).

So, yes you can extend it to another outlet using a normal
receptacle. Just be aware that if you put some nasty load on it,
like an AC, any noises, surges, etc will be on the same line as the PC.

I agree.
If you have a receptacle circuit from the service panel, wired with
Romex and plastic boxes, and no other circuits in the boxes it is, in
effect, an IG circuit. Also with metal boxes that don't contact any
other metal.

You can extend the circuit as an IG circuit or normal circuit.

--
bud--

How to extend handle? [email protected] Woodworking 7 January 7th 09 02:03 PM
Extend a Switch - IR? AJ UK diy 6 December 4th 08 10:57 AM
Can I extend my flue? Joel Payne UK diy 1 January 31st 05 09:33 PM
extend exhaust? rosie readandpost Home Repair 1 December 5th 04 03:38 PM
Why can't I extend my boiler flue? Richard J. UK diy 6 August 23rd 04 09:49 PM