Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What kind of water pipe?

I get ice dams. I've chopped them, I've salted them, and last time
I ran hot water over them. I like the last method best.

My current set up is a gutter cleaner along these lines
http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-128449/Detail

My gutters on the north side of the house are about 22 feet up. So I
have it duct taped to a swimming pool extending aluminum pole.

I want to eliminate some of the Rube Goldberg-ness of that setup and
extend the handle of the wand down to the ground. It will be a
little lighter than that rubber hose + the pool tool, I'll have a
shutoff right at hand, and it will keep my hands warm with the hot
water.

Will [1/2? 3/4?] thinwall conduit survive very long with water running
through it a couple times a year and otherwise being stored in a
basement? And is there a way to make a good sturdy, watertight
connection between two sections of it?

What else might be strong enough to poke around a stick 22 feet long
nearly straight up in the air without being too heavy?

There's a pretty decent scrap yard nearby that I haven't been to in
ages- maybe I find something there if I know what I'm looking for.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 5:55�pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
[...]

electric heat tape is your friend, after first you insulate and
ventilate properly to minimize ice dam forming top begin with.

plus use the special underlayment betchane? SP?? so no future ice dam
can damage home
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 2:55*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
[...]

Jim-

EMT will survive just fine, it aint water tube / pipe but for your
limited use it will serve.

A compression fitting (electrical) will be close to water tight but
you can slather it up with silicone seal (remove the rings & nuts /
then replace) prior to assembly. A completely water tight
connection.....soldered coupling if oyu can find a glavanized, brass
or copper item that has a close slip fit. You could drill out an
brass pipe nipple & use it.

An assembled pipe 22 ft long is LONG.....3/4" or larger is way stiffer
than 1/2".

What else might work? A couple used pool skimmer poles, the
telescoping type.

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

BobK207 wrote:
[...]

And way heavier when filled with water. My guess - it will be close to
uncontrollable.

I would suggest a pipe for structure, with small plastic tubing going up the
middle to carry the water.