Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are All US TV Stations Now Broadcasting All-Digital?

Assuming the answer is yes, but just checking.
Thanks.
Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 25, 12:39�pm, frank1492 wrote:
Assuming the answer is yes, but just checking.
� Thanks.
� � Frank

no some low power stations arent, and wouldnt be required to for a
couple years, although i am unsure of the date
Posted to alt.home.repair

frank1492 wrote:
Assuming the answer is yes, but just checking.
Thanks.
Frank

What's all-digital? I imagine most are transmitting both analog and
digital. When they drop analog, I imagine a station may have the
resources to increase the coverage of its digital broadcast and increase
the number of programs it broadcasts.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

frank1492 wrote:
Assuming the answer is yes, but just checking.

No, the transition "drop-dead" date isn't until 17 Feb. The ones here
will turn off analog at midnight the 17th and switch over at 00:00+ the
18th.

Some (but not all) of these are presently simul-casting a low-power
digital signal, but even those will change the channel on which they are
currently broadcasting and boost the power at the bewitching time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

There is a lot of mis-information about digital. In my area, all the
stations are broadcasting full power digital in addition to analog. On
Feb. 18th they plan to shut off the analog and shift the digital to
their permanent channel. For example, channel 3 (Burlington, Vt.) is
broadcasting the digital on channel 53 right now but will switch to 22
on Feb. 18th. The engineer tells me that they will slightly REDUCE
power at that time as required by law. I am fortunate that at my
location I get all the channels on digital plus two that I don't receive
on analog at all (5 and 44). I have a friend that only receives one
channel on digital. He has a good roof antenna but there must be some
obstructions in the way such as trees.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 12:39:12 -0500, frank1492
wrote:

Assuming the answer is yes, but just checking.
Thanks.
Frank

As a couple have noted the change over date is the 17th-18th
of Feb 2009. However there is still talk going around about
postponing it due to some confusion and because they ran out of the
converter coupons.
Posted to alt.home.repair

frank1492 wrote:

Assuming the answer is yes, but just checking.

I've read that some stations can't afford the cost of running two transmitters
and will be doing a 'flash cut' from analog to digital, but I imagine you'd have
to check the FCC databases pretty close to see who.
Posted to alt.home.repair

frank1492 wrote:
Assuming the answer is yes, but just checking.
Thanks.
Frank

The government website is he
http://www.dtv.gov/
And a lot of information/discussion about the boxes he
http://preview.tinyurl.com/594pek
Antenna information he
http://preview.tinyurl.com/6zsr5

Someone else mentioned there might be a delay of a few months.
Our Congresscritters are thinking of adding money to the converter box
program.

Dean
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 13:07:15 -0500, E Z Peaces
wrote:

frank1492 wrote:
Assuming the answer is yes, but just checking.
Thanks.
Frank

What's all-digital? I imagine most are transmitting both analog and
digital. When they drop analog, I imagine a station may have the
resources to increase the coverage of its digital broadcast and increase
the number of programs it broadcasts.

What I dont understand is how these tv stations are being reimbursed
by the government for their costs in this changeover. We are betting
our $40 coupons, but at present, all the tv stations are having to run
TWO transmitters, TWO transmitting antennas, and two of everything
else. Not to mention using twice the electricity to power this stuff.
(one for digital, one for analog). Who is paying them for all of
this? I can almost guarantee that a tv transmitter costs millions of
dollars. After Feb 17, there will be powerful analog transmitters all
over the country which will be worthless, adding to the piles of
polluting electronic waste in this country.

While the consumer is getting a $40 coupon, is the government giving
each tv station a $40million dollar coupon to replace their
transmitters, their broadcast antennas, and all the associated
equipment needed to make the change? And if they are, soes this mean
that us taxpayers will be paying for this too? If not, WHO is paying?
The money dont just come out of the air.......

The money - is coming from the auctioned off bandwidth that
was used by tv stations. All the bandwidth is being sold
for "advanced digital services", mostly pay services. Check
the fcc.gov site, ending auctions are posted there, and who
won and what the licensing is for.

Power level - in Dallas several stations have already
reduced the analog transmitter to 1/2 power.

Digital only requires one transmitter and can transmit 5 SD
streams, which is equivalent to 5 of the old channels.
Looks like a few Dallas dtv stations are setting up to sell
"unused" streams to anyone that always wanted their own tv
station. (those in dallas can check 31-4 "channel available
call xxxxxxxxx") The old analog system used two separate
transmitters for each channel, an AM visual transmitter and
an FM aural transmitter.

Remember to frequently rescan your digital tv or converter
box, more channels are coming up weekly. Some are
transmitters that will replace others, some are new
stations. (we're at 40 channels, up 2 from last week)

-- larry / dallas
Posted to alt.home.repair

larry wrote:

The money - is coming from the auctioned off bandwidth that
was used by tv stations. All the bandwidth is being sold
for "advanced digital services", mostly pay services. Check
the fcc.gov site, ending auctions are posted there, and who
won and what the licensing is for.

No - that's not the question. The US Govt is keeping all the money from the
spectrum auction. Noone is reimbursing the TV stations for the transition costs
or running two transmitters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 18:04:08 -0700, Robert Neville wrote:

larry wrote:

The money - is coming from the auctioned off bandwidth that was used by
tv stations. All the bandwidth is being sold for "advanced digital
services", mostly pay services. Check the fcc.gov site, ending auctions
are posted there, and who won and what the licensing is for.

No - that's not the question. The US Govt is keeping all the money from
the spectrum auction. Noone is reimbursing the TV stations for the
transition costs or running two transmitters.

They have their license at the whim of the government granting it to
them. They can either bone up the cash for the transition or walk away.
I'm sure there are plenty of companies that would be willing to step into
their place if they can't pull it off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

frank1492 wrote in
:

Assuming the answer is yes, but just checking.
Thanks.
Frank

no,just the major stations.
low power TV stations do not have to make the change for another year,IIRC.

Those LPTVs would be your local independent channels.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

larry wrote:

The money - is coming from the auctioned off bandwidth that was used by
tv stations. *All the bandwidth is being sold for "advanced digital
services", mostly pay services. *Check the fcc.gov site, ending auctions
are posted there, and who won and what the licensing is for.

No - that's not the question. The US Govt is keeping all the money from
the spectrum auction. Noone is reimbursing the TV stations for the
transition costs or running two transmitters.

They have their license at the whim of the government granting it to
them. *They can either bone up the cash for the transition or walk away.. *
I'm sure there are plenty of companies that would be willing to step into
their place if they can't pull it off.

AFAIK, it's like any similar transition, say from analog cellular to
CDMA, or from B/W TV to color. The sost of the new eqpt was paid for
by the service providers as a part of doing business. In the case of
the digital transition, it gives broadcasters bandwith for additional
channels and HD which their customers want.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Assuming the answer is yes, but just checking.
Thanks.
Frank

There's a CW station around here that plans to stay all-analog until
Feb 17,
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Assuming the answer is yes, but just checking.
*Thanks.
* *Frank

* *As a couple have noted the change over date is the 17th-18th
of Feb 2009. *However there is still talk going around about
postponing it due to some confusion and because they ran out of the
converter coupons. *

and putting things off is what the government does.

It looks like the delay will happen: http://preview.tinyurl.com/bwmxxn

Dean