Posted to alt.home.repair
larry larry is offline

Default Are All US TV Stations Now Broadcasting All-Digital?

wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 13:07:15 -0500, E Z Peaces
wrote:

frank1492 wrote:
Assuming the answer is yes, but just checking.
Thanks.
Frank

What's all-digital? I imagine most are transmitting both analog and
digital. When they drop analog, I imagine a station may have the
resources to increase the coverage of its digital broadcast and increase
the number of programs it broadcasts.

What I dont understand is how these tv stations are being reimbursed
by the government for their costs in this changeover. We are betting
our $40 coupons, but at present, all the tv stations are having to run
TWO transmitters, TWO transmitting antennas, and two of everything
else. Not to mention using twice the electricity to power this stuff.
(one for digital, one for analog). Who is paying them for all of
this? I can almost guarantee that a tv transmitter costs millions of
dollars. After Feb 17, there will be powerful analog transmitters all
over the country which will be worthless, adding to the piles of
polluting electronic waste in this country.

While the consumer is getting a $40 coupon, is the government giving
each tv station a $40million dollar coupon to replace their
transmitters, their broadcast antennas, and all the associated
equipment needed to make the change? And if they are, soes this mean
that us taxpayers will be paying for this too? If not, WHO is paying?
The money dont just come out of the air.......

The money - is coming from the auctioned off bandwidth that
was used by tv stations. All the bandwidth is being sold
for "advanced digital services", mostly pay services. Check
the fcc.gov site, ending auctions are posted there, and who
won and what the licensing is for.

Power level - in Dallas several stations have already
reduced the analog transmitter to 1/2 power.

Digital only requires one transmitter and can transmit 5 SD
streams, which is equivalent to 5 of the old channels.
Looks like a few Dallas dtv stations are setting up to sell
"unused" streams to anyone that always wanted their own tv
station. (those in dallas can check 31-4 "channel available
call xxxxxxxxx") The old analog system used two separate
transmitters for each channel, an AM visual transmitter and
an FM aural transmitter.

Remember to frequently rescan your digital tv or converter
box, more channels are coming up weekly. Some are
transmitters that will replace others, some are new
stations. (we're at 40 channels, up 2 from last week)

-- larry / dallas