Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage Door WHACKY

I installed our garage door almost three years ago and it's worked
fine until recently. In recent months, it's been acting like the
panels are getting out of alignment and it binds up and reverses
direction. I need to find the manual to see if there's a sensitivity
adjustment. We're about 18'' behind in rainfall this year and we did
put piers on the back of the house when we first moved it so it's
possibly the house has shifted.

Sound reasonable???
Posted to alt.home.repair

"BradMM" wrote in message
I installed our garage door almost three years ago and it's worked
fine until recently. In recent months, it's been acting like the
panels are getting out of alignment and it binds up and reverses
direction. I need to find the manual to see if there's a sensitivity
adjustment. We're about 18'' behind in rainfall this year and we did
put piers on the back of the house when we first moved it so it's
possibly the house has shifted.

Sound reasonable???

If there are separate springs for each side the spring tension may not be
even. That can cause the door to be uneven and bind.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

if it's got torsion springs, you may have one broke and not know it.

--
All you scholars who think bush messed up..... You ain't seen nothin' yet!
Just wait. You'll be cryin' for mercy after a while with Bro Bama

"BradMM" wrote in message
I installed our garage door almost three years ago and it's worked
fine until recently. In recent months, it's been acting like the
panels are getting out of alignment and it binds up and reverses
direction. I need to find the manual to see if there's a sensitivity
adjustment. We're about 18'' behind in rainfall this year and we did
put piers on the back of the house when we first moved it so it's
possibly the house has shifted.

Sound reasonable???

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 18, 9:41�pm, Van Chocstraw
wrote:
BradMM wrote:
I installed our garage door almost three years ago and it's worked
fine until recently. In recent months, it's been acting like the
panels are getting out of alignment and it binds up and reverses
direction. �I need to find the manual to see if there's a sensitivity
adjustment. �We're about 18'' behind in rainfall this year and we did
put piers on the back of the house when we first moved it so it's
possibly the house has shifted.

Sound reasonable???

Disconnect the opener, operate the door by hand slowley taking note of
where the door is binding/catching/jamming. Adjust the wheels, tract or
springs as necessary until the door runs smoothly. Reconnect the
automatic opener. Simple as pie.

--
//--------------------\\
� � � � Van Chocstraw

has it ever been lubricated?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
BradMM wrote:
I installed our garage door almost three years ago and it's worked
fine until recently. In recent months, it's been acting like the
panels are getting out of alignment and it binds up and reverses
direction. ?I need to find the manual to see if there's a sensitivity
adjustment. ?We're about 18'' behind in rainfall this year and we did
put piers on the back of the house when we first moved it so it's
possibly the house has shifted.

Sound reasonable???

Disconnect the opener, operate the door by hand slowley taking note of
where the door is binding/catching/jamming. Adjust the wheels, tract or
springs as necessary until the door runs smoothly. Reconnect the
automatic opener. Simple as pie.

--
//--------------------\\
? ? ? ? Van Chocstraw
?\\--------------------//

has it ever been lubricated?

I'm glad someone advised the lubrication part. My garage door was doing
something similar such as stopping only a few inches closing and opening. I
released it from the opener and the door itself moves freely, thus
indicating a problem within the closer. I lubed the entire shaft and guide
then hooked the door back up. It works perfect again. If the parts aren't
lube, the door will stick and stop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 19:16:50 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

... until the door runs smoothly. Reconnect the
automatic opener. Simple as pie.

Have you ever tried to make a pie? :-)

--
//--------------------\\
? ? ? ? Van Chocstraw

has it ever been lubricated?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 18, 6:48*pm, BradMM wrote:
I installed our garage door almost three years ago and it's worked
fine until recently. In recent months, it's been acting like the
panels are getting out of alignment and it binds up and reverses
direction. *I need to find the manual to see if there's a sensitivity
adjustment. *We're about 18'' behind in rainfall this year and we did
put piers on the back of the house when we first moved it so it's
possibly the house has shifted.

Sound reasonable???

Just for the heck of it, measure the door opening diagonally both
ways. If the corner to corner dimensions are not the same, you've
found your problem.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 18, 6:48 pm, BradMM
wrote:
[...]

Not necessarily; doors are installed into out of
square openings all the time. It's not the
opene\ing that's important; it's the tracks,
springs and rollers not to mention motor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The adjustment is under the cover or on the back of the opener. And
think 'WD -40'
JR

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974Tryke

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jerry - OHIO" wrote in message
The adjustment is under the cover or on the back of the opener. And
think 'WD -40'
JR

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974Tryke

WD40 is a no-no to use for lubricating purposes. That stuff will gather more
debris than fly paper gathers flies. Use a Teflon lubricant, lithium grease
or anything equivalent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

THANKS SO MUCH for the feedback! Yes, I did use WD-40 but I do have
other lubes. I'll see if I can adjust the springs. They both have
tension but I can't tell if they are equal. I need to go back and
check out the one post with links that I think were about the question
of sensitivity adjustment.

Thanks again!

Brad
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 19, 4:28*pm, "Twayne" wrote:
On Jan 18, 6:48 pm, BradMM
wrote:
[...]

The OP has had piers put in, therefore, the possibility of the house
having shifted since the door was installed must be considered. This
ought to be the first thing on the list. It would be futile to start
messing with all the other possibilities if the tracks aren't even
parallel. Ten minutes well spent IMO.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jerry - OHIO" wrote in
message
The adjustment is under the cover or on the
back of the
opener. And think 'WD -40'
JR

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974Tryke

WD40 is a no-no to use for lubricating purposes.
That
stuff will gather more debris than fly paper
gathers
flies. Use a Teflon lubricant, lithium grease or
anything
equivalent.

BS; WD40 will do just the opposite. In fact,
WD-40's claim to fame is that it removes moisture
and contamination. What WD-40 does NOT do after
it cleans, is lubricate; so an application of
light oil is still recommended.

WD-40 will evaporate and collects almost nothing.
It's pruposely made to be that way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
BradMM wrote:

I installed our garage door almost three years ago and it's worked
fine until recently. In recent months, it's been acting like the
panels are getting out of alignment and it binds up and reverses
direction. I need to find the manual to see if there's a sensitivity
adjustment. We're about 18'' behind in rainfall this year and we did
put piers on the back of the house when we first moved it so it's
possibly the house has shifted.

Sound reasonable???

First find a way to get to usenet other than through Google's WWW
portal. That way more than six people will see your post.

Then disconnect the door from the opener and see whether it operates
smoothly manually. If so, then the problem lies with the sensors.