Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What to do about this stone?

Hi,

Remodeling my kitchen, have part of what used to be an external wall
(before a prev owner built an addition) exposed. It looks like this:

http://freeboundaries.com/stone.jpg

I would like to leave to fix it up and leave it exposed. Can I, who
has not masonry training, do something about making it look more
presentable? (I have a big pile of matching pieces of stone.)

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 12:48*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

Remodeling my kitchen, have part of what used to be an external wall
(before a prev owner built an addition) exposed. It looks like this:

http://freeboundaries.com/stone.jpg

I would like to leave to fix it up and leave it exposed. Can I, who
has not masonry training, do something about making it look more
presentable? (I have a big pile of matching pieces of stone.)

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

Cover it with 1" stone might be ok, right now what you have is a mess
I would probably drywall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

Remodeling my kitchen, have part of what used to be an external wall
(before a prev owner built an addition) exposed. It looks like this:

http://freeboundaries.com/stone.jpg

I would like to leave to fix it up and leave it exposed. Can I, who
has not masonry training, do something about making it look more
presentable? (I have a big pile of matching pieces of stone.)

Many thanks in advance,

Heck, I'd try. An interior stone wall would be cool.

The trick, I'd think, would be to not try to make it look too good. A
primitive, rough, look would have more character - and make the whole
project ever so much easier.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 12:48 am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

Remodeling my kitchen, have part of what used to be an external wall
(before a prev owner built an addition) exposed. It looks like this:

http://freeboundaries.com/stone.jpg

I would like to leave to fix it up and leave it exposed. Can I, who
has not masonry training, do something about making it look more
presentable? (I have a big pile of matching pieces of stone.)

Looks like crap as it is. Your best bet would be to apply some of the thing
stone facing that is available. goes on like tile and you can grout it to
make it look the same as thick stone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 7:12*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
On Jan 17, 12:48 am, Aaron Fude wrote:

Hi,

Remodeling my kitchen, have part of what used to be an external wall
(before a prev owner built an addition) exposed. It looks like this:

http://freeboundaries.com/stone.jpg

I would like to leave to fix it up and leave it exposed. Can I, who
has not masonry training, do something about making it look more
presentable? (I have a big pile of matching pieces of stone.)

Looks like crap as it is. *Your best bet would be to apply some of the thing
stone facing that is available. *goes on like tile and you can grout it to
make it look the same as thick stone.

Looks like rubble as is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 9:47*am, ransley wrote:
On Jan 17, 7:12*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

On Jan 17, 12:48 am, Aaron Fude wrote:

Hi,

Remodeling my kitchen, have part of what used to be an external wall
(before a prev owner built an addition) exposed. It looks like this:

http://freeboundaries.com/stone.jpg

I would like to leave to fix it up and leave it exposed. Can I, who
has not masonry training, do something about making it look more
presentable? (I have a big pile of matching pieces of stone.)

Looks like crap as it is. *Your best bet would be to apply some of the thing
stone facing that is available. *goes on like tile and you can grout it to
make it look the same as thick stone.

Looks like rubble as is.- Hide quoted text -

I don;t know what he means by "fix it up". It sure is rubble now. I
was expecting to see some 200 year old stone wall. What is there is
worth less than zero. I'd cover it up, either with drywall or stone
veneer, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Just out of curiousity, why didn't you continue the kitchen cabinetry
to the end of that wall? Seems like its going to be dead space anyway,
and you could have just covered up that stone wall with a sheetrock
wall and the cabinets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

benick wrote:

Heck, I'd try. An interior stone wall would be cool.

The trick, I'd think, would be to not try to make it look too good. A
primitive, rough, look would have more character - and make the whole
project ever so much easier.

If you have no masonry skills , how in the world are you gonna fix
that MESS up good enough to leave exposed? I'd just cover the whole
mess up with drywall and be done with it...I'd be more concerned with
those spikes sticking down through the plywood on the roof ..Also ,
you may want to consider some rafter vent , insulation and 1X3
strapping(16"OC) on the ceiling before you go much futher with the
drywall.You shouldn't break drywall butts in the middle of the bay
either...Just a thought....

Heck, if Bill Gates can live in a cave, what's wrong with something that
looks like a mine shaft?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/2009 5:12 AM Ed Pawlowski spake thus:

On Jan 17, 12:48 am, Aaron Fude wrote:

Remodeling my kitchen, have part of what used to be an external wall
(before a prev owner built an addition) exposed. It looks like this:

http://freeboundaries.com/stone.jpg

I would like to leave to fix it up and leave it exposed. Can I, who
has not masonry training, do something about making it look more
presentable? (I have a big pile of matching pieces of stone.)

Looks like crap as it is. Your best bet would be to apply some of the thing
stone facing that is available. goes on like tile and you can grout it to
make it look the same as thick stone.

Wait, not so fast: I agree with HeyBub that it might be possible to
incorporate this bit of exposed stuff into the finished kitchen. Notice
I said "might be".

From the picture, it looks like the top part is stone and the bottom
part brick, with a bunch of cement in the stone part. Is that correct?

If so, you might at least try doing some patching before giving up and
covering this all over. You could either try to find some small stones
to fit the gaps and mortar them in, or just use patching cement to fill
these spaces up.

It might look cool. I remember seeing a house featured in House
Beautiful years ago where the designer had intentionally taken all the
door casings off of all the doorways and just sealed the exposed rough
openings (it was an old house with plaster walls and high ceilings).
Your first reaction might be "that would look like crap!", but it
didn't; looked good. (Not for all tastes, I realize.)

So if you're inclined that direction, I'd at least try to finish this
little exposed column. If you mess it up, no harm, no foul, just cover
it with drywall or whatever.

--
In order to embark on a new course, the only one that will
solve the problem: negotiations and peace with the Palestinians,

Because it's only with enemies that one makes peace.

- Uri Avnery, Israeli writer and peace activist with Gush Shalom.
(http://counterpunch.org/avnery08032006.html)

What is difference between Arkansas stone and India stone [email protected] Metalworking 12 January 3rd 08 05:20 PM
OT - Stone Jon Elson Metalworking 5 April 25th 06 06:48 PM
Stone/Synthetic stone kitchen counter tops Mr. Bill Home Repair 6 October 15th 04 08:01 PM