Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default windshield wiper misses glass for the middle ~3 inches.

On Jan 20, 9:12*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
Ron wrote:
On Jan 20, 8:11 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
Ron wrote:
On Jan 20, 7:40 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
It doesn't help that the driver's side wiper runs over the windshield
trim at the top of its sweep. *GREAT engineering, GM.
That is nothing more than a simple adjustment.
Depending on what kind of car it is, you have to either loosen the
wiper arm nut and lower the arm...or if it's not a nut / threaded stud
type set-up, then you simply lift the wiper arm about 2" off of the
windshield and slide out the locking tab, remove the arm, and
reposition it to a slightly lower position.
won't work - lower end of sweep has a little rest for the arm when the
wipers are parked, so if I did that, it'd be trying to force the arm
through the rest.

There's SO many things that GM did wrong with this wiper implementation
that I could write pages on how to improve it. *And that would just
start me on a long rant on simple things that could have been done to
improve the car as a whole...

nate

It doesn't matter, you can still lower the arm, it will just rest more
tightly against the wiper stop. What kind of car is it?

2005 Impala.

One that a coworker had was the exact same way. *I am not motivated to
do crap to it as I loathe it and it's 10K overdue to be turned in, anyway..

nate

OK....you wouldn't be able to get the arm off anyway unless you have a
small puller. They put some kind of Loctite crap on those arms for
some STUPID reason. You can always lower a wiper arm slightly below
it's stop and then force it up on top of the stop. Then you have to
adjust the other arm down because doing this will move it up slightly.
Anyway, that is the simple way to do it w/o getting into adjusting the
wiper arms linkage underneath the cowl, which requires removing the
arms. lol
Posted to alt.home.repair

i won't use the ****. it leaves a funky film that distorts the vision in
the clear sunny sky. I was just stating the proper use of it.

--
All you scholars who think bush messed up..... You ain't seen nothin' yet!
Just wait. You'll be cryin' for mercy after a while with Bro Bama

"Ron" wrote in message
On Jan 20, 8:11 pm, "Steve Barker"
wrote:
the water still beads up and runs off. Not a problem to see through
especially when sittin still. How much do you need to see whilst sittin
still?

Not ALL of the water runs off. And you need to be able to see in stop
and go traffic, or when driving at low speeds. When they first came
out with the product it said "for high speed driving" right on the
bottle. And that is about all it's good for when applied to the W/S.

Whatever, go put a whole bottle of the crap on your windshield.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron" wrote in message
On Jan 20, 8:11 pm, "Steve Barker" wrote:
the water still beads up and runs off. Not a problem to see through
especially when sittin still. How much do you need to see whilst sittin
still?

Not ALL of the water runs off. And you need to be able to see in stop
and go traffic, or when driving at low speeds. When they first came
out with the product it said "for high speed driving" right on the
bottle. And that is about all it's good for when applied to the W/S.

Whatever, go put a whole bottle of the crap on your windshield.

I have been using it for years and you can't even tell on a sunny day it
has been applied. Just pay attention to the instructions. You just can't
flip open the top and squirt it on. I like it mainly for winter weather.
Freezing rain/snow etc cleans off easily.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron" wrote in message
On Jan 14, 11:29 pm, mm wrote:

Also, consider Rain-X.

Rain-X is horrible for windshields! In a light rain the first swipe
wipes the windshield so dry that there in no lube when the wipers come
back across, causing them to hop and/or make a loud buuuuuuuup noise.

Rain-X is only good in moderate to heavy rain. The size of the drops cause them
to run down the windshield so you don't even need to run the blades. In light
or misting rain the water just sits there until you run the blades... and then
it smears badly. I hate the stuff.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 1/22/2009 6:51 AM (ET) Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote the following:
"Ron" wrote in message

On Jan 14, 11:29 pm, mm wrote:

Also, consider Rain-X.

Rain-X is horrible for windshields! In a light rain the first swipe
wipes the windshield so dry that there in no lube when the wipers come
back across, causing them to hop and/or make a loud buuuuuuuup noise.

Rain-X is only good in moderate to heavy rain. The size of the drops cause them
to run down the windshield so you don't even need to run the blades. In light
or misting rain the water just sits there until you run the blades... and then
it smears badly. I hate the stuff.

I agree that it isn't good in light rain, but I don't get the wiper
noises. I have been using the stuff for years.
Just as a hoot, one time I drove 45 miles in a moderate to heavy rain
without using the wipers at all. It worked better than having the
wipers on, since the wipers are not running across your field of view,
especially in a downpour when the wipers have to be at the max speed.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ron" wrote in message

On Jan 14, 11:29 pm, mm wrote:

[...]

I forgot to mention that I use the RainX windshield cleaner and have the
RainX washer fluid which is supposed to de-ice the windshield. The jury
is still out on that claim.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
"Ron" wrote in message
On Jan 14, 11:29 pm, mm wrote:
Also, consider Rain-X.

Rain-X is horrible for windshields! In a light rain the first swipe
wipes the windshield so dry that there in no lube when the wipers come
back across, causing them to hop and/or make a loud buuuuuuuup noise.

Rain-X is only good in moderate to heavy rain. The size of the drops cause them
to run down the windshield so you don't even need to run the blades. In light
or misting rain the water just sits there until you run the blades... and then
it smears badly. I hate the stuff.

I have been using it for years with no smearing etc. Proper prep is what
makes it work. A couple squirts of the blue water window cleaner
(windex) isn't enough. I use it mostly for the winter because it really
helps with removing ice/snow.