Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ariens snowblower wheel drive repair

Hello,

Does anyone know how to remove the drive pulley on an ariens 1028
snowblower? This morning I found that the wheel drive was not
working. I found that housing for the friction wheel shaft was broken
on one of its three mounting points, causing the pulley to throw the
belt off of itself whenever I engaged the wheel drive. It looks like
I have to remove the pulley to get at the bolts for the housing, but I
can't figure how to remove it. I tried jamming a screwdriver in one
of the fins of the friction plate to keep it from turning while I
turned the nut at the pulley end, but after breaking a couple of fins
off, I figured there must be another way. Any help is much
appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 11, 10:54*am, arnolfini wrote:
Hello,

Does anyone know how to remove the drive pulley on an ariens 1028
snowblower? *This morning I found that the wheel drive was not
working. *I found that housing for the friction wheel shaft was broken
on one of its three mounting points, causing the pulley to throw the
belt off of itself whenever I engaged the wheel drive. *It looks like
I have to remove the pulley to get at the bolts for the housing, but I
can't figure how to remove it. *I tried jamming a screwdriver in one
of the fins of the friction plate to keep it from turning while I
turned the nut at the pulley end, but after breaking a couple of fins
off, I figured there must be another way. *Any help is much
appreciated.

An impact wrench will whip the stubborn bolt right off. Be sure to use
a 6 point impact socket to avoid rounding off the nut. On the off
chance that the assembly is left hand thread, check carefully for that
possibility. Pretreatment with a good penetrant like Kroil would be
beneficial. A quick burst of intense heat from a welding torch is a
Phase 2 trick repair shops use. MAPP gas is OK, propane a little too
slow as a heat source but might work. Penetrants can be kind of slow,
so give it time, and good luck,

Joe.