Posted to alt.home.repair

Default You can too recharge "nonrechargeable" batteries

I just did it. The display on my little phone-answering machine was
blinking "BL", so I took out the 9-volt battery (Eveready "Super Heavy
Duty") and stuck it in my little ni-cad charger overnight. Took it out
the next day and put it in the answering machine, which has been happy
for several days now. We'll see how long it lasts.

So much for all those ridiculous dire warnings: your battery will
!*&%^#(! ***EXPLODE!!!*** if you try to recharge it. Don't Try This At
Home! Leave It To The Professionals!

Sometimes batteries will leak if you try to recharge them. No big deal:
I've cleaned battery ooze off my recharger more times than twice, and it
still works fine. I figure it's still worth it. I've kept the little
AAAs in my old remote alive for about 5 years now by recharging when
they get low.

And of course the thing to do is to use a gentle, low-current charger
like the one I have. If you try to use a big honking power supply like a
car battery charger, then you could have a 'sploded battery on your
hands (duh!).

- Paulo Freire
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 1:10 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
I just did it.

Yes, and years ago you could buy rechargers for ordinary carbon-zinc
cells, but they don't work very well. Why bother?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Davej wrote:
On Jan 5, 1:10 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

I just did it.

Yes, and years ago you could buy rechargers for ordinary carbon-zinc
cells, but they don't work very well. Why bother?

I remember the Duracell "rechargable alkalines" and the chargers sold
for them by from about 10 years ago. IIRC they didn't stay in the market
very long.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/05/09 03:21 pm Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I remember the Duracell "rechargable alkalines" and the chargers sold
for them by from about 10 years ago. IIRC they didn't stay in the market
very long.

You mean Rayovac, I think. I still have some but haven't used them for a
long time.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
eonecommunications...
Davej wrote:
On Jan 5, 1:10 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

I just did it.

Yes, and years ago you could buy rechargers for ordinary carbon-zinc
cells, but they don't work very well. Why bother?

I remember the Duracell "rechargable alkalines" and the chargers sold for them
by from about 10 years ago. IIRC they didn't stay in the market very long.

http://www.google.com/search?q=recha...x=&startPage=1

Posted to alt.home.repair

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 01/05/09 03:21 pm Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I remember the Duracell "rechargable alkalines" and the chargers sold
for them by from about 10 years ago. IIRC they didn't stay in the market
very long.

You mean Rayovac, I think. I still have some but haven't used them for a
long time.

Perce

By George, I think you got me!

There's some for sale on eBay:

http://tinyurl.com/7tuvjs

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

* Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the

- Paulo Freire

I have an old alkaline charger, the problem is you dont increase the
voltage to full charge and they can leak later and ruin what you use
them for. The alkaline is corosive. Remotes take the least amount of
current, now try it for a flashlight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/5/2009 5:02 PM ransley spake thus:

On Jan 5, 1:10 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

I just did it. The display on my little phone-answering machine was
blinking "BL", so I took out the 9-volt battery (Eveready "Super Heavy
Duty") and stuck it in my little ni-cad charger overnight. Took it out
the next day and put it in the answering machine, which has been happy
for several days now. We'll see how long it lasts.

I have an old alkaline charger, the problem is you dont increase the
voltage to full charge and they can leak later and ruin what you use
them for. The alkaline is corosive. Remotes take the least amount of
current, now try it for a flashlight.

Yes, I know. I'd never try this for any load that uses an appreciable
amount of current. But lots of electronic devices are very happy with
just a few mA, for which this method works very nicely.

- Paulo Freire
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/5/2009 12:21 PM Jeff Wisnia spake thus:

Davej wrote:

On Jan 5, 1:10 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

I just did it.

Yes, and years ago you could buy rechargers for ordinary carbon-zinc
cells, but they don't work very well. Why bother?

I remember the Duracell "rechargable alkalines" and the chargers sold
for them by from about 10 years ago. IIRC they didn't stay in the market
very long.

I remember those rechargeable alkalines. Never worked very well. In
fact, my method works *almost* as well as they did, and I don't need a
special charger for them. (Ni-cad chargers are a dime a dozen.)

- Paulo Freire
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 1/5/2009 2:10 PM (ET) David Nebenzahl wrote the following:
[...]

I used to recharge the non-rechargeables too. The Energizers worked the
best.
They didn't hold a charge as long as the factory charged ones did, though.
As I recall, Duracells didn't charge too well.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:

And of course the thing to do is to use a gentle, low-current charger...

I got tired of replacing the battery in a clock and measured the current
draw and now recharge the battery continuously with the same current using
a charge pump, ie 2 small diodes and a small capacitor, with a line cord
from a discarded PC.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 2:10*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

A GF of mine did this a few years back. After I got done being ****ed
at her because they leaked all over the charger, I tried them to see
if they worked JFTHOI ...but they didn't..

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you look at www.buy.com they have a Renu-It charger that does AA and AAA
cells. I bought one a couple months ago, and I'm incredibly pleased with it.
Charges alkaline batteries very nicely. May do other types, can't remember
off hand. Costs about $30, well worth it.

Just Froogle for Renu-it charger.

http://www.google.com/products?q=ren...&hl=en&show=dd

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

My Dad had one of those, for many years. The carbon cells were useless the
first time around. Worse, the second time around. Alkalines last four times
as long as carbons.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Davej" wrote in message
On Jan 5, 1:10 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
I just did it.

Yes, and years ago you could buy rechargers for ordinary carbon-zinc
cells, but they don't work very well. Why bother?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I also remember them being Rayovac. I got some, when I needed FRS walkie
talkies often. The rechargable alkalines dont work in Motorola FR-50
walkies. Nickel Metal Hydrides do a reasonable job. Recharge alks didn't
have enough amps to transmit.

Still got several rechargable alkaline D and C cells, which seldom get used.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
On 01/05/09 03:21 pm Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I remember the Duracell "rechargable alkalines" and the chargers sold
for them by from about 10 years ago. IIRC they didn't stay in the market
very long.

You mean Rayovac, I think. I still have some but haven't used them for a
long time.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

Couldn't be like the rest of us, and go buy a plug in clock?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
David Nebenzahl wrote:

And of course the thing to do is to use a gentle, low-current charger...

I got tired of replacing the battery in a clock and measured the current
draw and now recharge the battery continuously with the same current using
a charge pump, ie 2 small diodes and a small capacitor, with a line cord
from a discarded PC.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

All that bother, and the batteries had to be pitched out. Sigh.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"in2dadark" wrote in message

A GF of mine did this a few years back. After I got done being ****ed
at her because they leaked all over the charger, I tried them to see
if they worked JFTHOI ...but they didn't..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I also remember them being Rayovac. I got some, when I needed FRS walkie
talkies often. The rechargable alkalines dont work in Motorola FR-50
walkies. Nickel Metal Hydrides do a reasonable job. Recharge alks didn't
have enough amps to transmit.

I don't remember the model number, but an older motorola I have won't work for
more than a few minutes with NiCds or NiMHds. Clearly a voltage thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

Years ago I remember a charger being sold for charging
single use alkaline batteries. I think it was called
Battery Buddy and there is still a unit being sold by
that name that claims to safely recharge not only
disposable cells but all other common rechargeable
batteries.

http://tinyurl.com/79aurt

TDD