Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default You can too recharge "nonrechargeable" batteries

on 1/5/2009 2:10 PM (ET) David Nebenzahl wrote the following:
I just did it. The display on my little phone-answering machine was
blinking "BL", so I took out the 9-volt battery (Eveready "Super Heavy
Duty") and stuck it in my little ni-cad charger overnight. Took it out
the next day and put it in the answering machine, which has been happy
for several days now. We'll see how long it lasts.

So much for all those ridiculous dire warnings: your battery will
!*&%^#(! ***EXPLODE!!!*** if you try to recharge it. Don't Try This At
Home! Leave It To The Professionals!

Sometimes batteries will leak if you try to recharge them. No big
deal: I've cleaned battery ooze off my recharger more times than
twice, and it still works fine. I figure it's still worth it. I've
kept the little AAAs in my old remote alive for about 5 years now by
recharging when they get low.

And of course the thing to do is to use a gentle, low-current charger
like the one I have. If you try to use a big honking power supply like
a car battery charger, then you could have a 'sploded battery on your
hands (duh!).

I used to recharge the non-rechargeables too. The Energizers worked the
best.
They didn't hold a charge as long as the factory charged ones did, though.
As I recall, Duracells didn't charge too well.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY